flyhighguys94

The Current Situation of the Secondary Market

302 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, flyhighguys94 said:

I never worried about it because if I bought something and then changed my mind (which happened all the time) I could move it for what I paid. Then it was moving a jersey for a $30-70 loss and now it's losing $100-200. I forgot about buying something at retail pricing, not even worth it anymore. This hobby was always self sustained and that probably made it 20x more fun lol. 

Definitely true, the loss you have to be willing to take has gotten larger. I used to not worry about price, now I’m only looking for bargains and vintage stuff. 

I just keep hoarding old big block CCM's when I can get them for a good price, I rarely sell anything and always regret selling even if I get a good price. 

I had dreams of keeping them until I retire and making my new hobby selling them but more than likely they'll turn up on this board as a heck of a find at goodwill 

I have also changed the way I collect. I used to get everything I thought was cool if I could afford it. Last summer, I sold anything I hadn't worn in a year and didn't have some kind of non-monetary value to me. I'm not getting out of the game, just putting an actual focus on my collection. IE: I want a Trevor Linden jersey from the 3 teams outside Vancouver he played for. Obviously some Reebok Edge jerseys are going to be a bit cheaper than usual with Adidas taking over the NHL (and hopefully prices keep going down). I already bit that temptation with a team issued Devils from MeiGray. 

Where collecting authentic jerseys has lost some luster for me, is seeing how many fans have fakes and walk around with their noses in the air, bragging about how they got such a great f***ing deal on an authentic jersey for $200 less than I paid. Instead of getting the "cool" type of comments on what I wear like I used to, I hear about how great of a deal they got from a buddy with an inside connection. 

Edited by Van67

What killed it for me a few years back was the False advertising authentics. It was about impossible to get made in canada Edges for some teams and the adidas situations isn’t helping my current situation. I just recently started filling a few holes in my Canes Collection and would like a few Edges here or there from other teams. I never got good value when I sold and I regret many that I sold when I stopped by a few years back. The prices for new “authentics” really killed it too. Don’t think there’s any reason a true Canada made authentic should be over 200 dollars customized when some off the older brands were better made for less. I know inflation has some to do with it.

Been trying to get into the trading foray on FB but it looks like it is a bust.  I guess it works better when your interests/wants are not narrow.  Plus I have gotten more offers to buy what I want to trade than actually trade.

44 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Been trying to get into the trading foray on FB but it looks like it is a bust.  I guess it works better when your interests/wants are not narrow.  Plus I have gotten more offers to buy what I want to trade than actually trade.

Ive seen that too.. .try selling? No one cares... ask for trade? People ask if you want to sell. Go figure.

After nothing for months, sold a couple jerseys last night with one more in the works.  Go figure lol.

4 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

After nothing for months, sold a couple jerseys last night with one more in the works.  Go figure lol.

I also suddenly sold two yesterday. Not that we're selling the same stuff, but it felt nice to move some stuff. 

If only I could sell the rest and I could save Christmas like when the Grinch returned the roast beast to its rightful owners. 

The market has perked up, slightly. However, now I am realizing how bloody unfocused I've been over the last several years. The more I sell, the more I want to get rid of the random bits in my collection. 

Just sold another jersey and a pair of gloves.

Elias SCF gamer here I come!

Anyone have any luck selling the indo-adidas pre-crested Adidas jerseys? I have one that has just been sitting on various sites. 

Considering Fanatics runs 30% off sales all the time and you can use Shoprunner for free shipping, it seems like the "actual" price of the new jerseys is at max 70% of MSRP.  That'd be my thinking if I were in the market for one, anyway.

58 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Considering Fanatics runs 30% off sales all the time and you can use Shoprunner for free shipping, it seems like the "actual" price of the new jerseys is at max 70% of MSRP.  That'd be my thinking if I were in the market for one, anyway.

What about ones that are actually customised using the thicket twill etc. I believe Fanatics only sells the pre-done Adidas ones. 

4 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Just sold another jersey and a pair of gloves.

Elias SCF gamer here I come!

Good luck, that’s the best Devils item available and we’ll all be after it. My first gamer, perhaps?

1 hour ago, Mcmanus said:

What about ones that are actually customised using the thicket twill etc. I believe Fanatics only sells the pre-done Adidas ones. 

I suppose a correctly-customized Indozero will have more appeal than one with a Fanatics kit.  That should make it a little easier to sell, but probably not for more money. 

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

I suppose a correctly-customized Indozero will have more appeal than one with a Fanatics kit.  That should make it a little easier to sell, but probably not for more money. 

I'd agree completely.  Most buyers just aren't going to care that much about the quality of the customization to pay more for a non-Fanatics kit.   Let's face it, most people are not like us.  If they were, they wouldn't have bought the IndoZeros in the first place.

How long until Meigray's Cyber Monday jerseys end up being re-sold for double the original asking price? 

13 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

How long until Meigray's Cyber Monday jerseys end up being re-sold for double the original asking price? 

Listed for sale, maybe. But sold, in this market?

47 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Listed for sale, maybe. But sold, in this market?

Dear non Facebook user:
The more absurd the idea, the more likely it is to appear on a group. 

15 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Good luck to those sellers then.  If they make any sort of profit on them then they should be doing cartwheels.

17 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Dear non Facebook user:
The more absurd the idea, the more likely it is to appear on a group. 

Maybe with a hyped up description?

"I'm selling this game worn jersey from player X. He was...........a draft pick."

:D

OK, I'm not going to say who this is, but there is an eBay member that has been known for flipping jerseys less than what he pays for them.  Here is a story with a jersey I bought from him, only to have him buy it back, and now has it back up for sale.

I bought a jersey from him for $75.00.  When I got it, it needed a little work, put on a nameplate, added sleeve numbers.  When done, it didn't really fit my collections as I already had an older version of the jersey.  So I listed if for sale.  The same person I purchased it from made an other and we settled on $125.00 for the jersey.  

He just posted the jersey up for sale on eBay for $110.00 buy-it-now.  This isn't like a couple months later, but he just got it back and the next day has it for sale.

If he wants to flip the jersey, I don't care, he can do what he wants - its his jersey now; but aren't you supposed to make a profit?  Just this one jersey, I have him in the red for $65.00.  Make a profit, buddy - you wont hurt my feelings.  I kind of feel bad, like I ripped him off somehow even though all I did what buy it and sell it back to him.

I do this by accident all the time. Its what happens when you get excited and overpay. 

Though, in your situation, at least try to get back the extra $10 and break even!

Also some people are just mail day whores.  They get a rush from posting mail days.

I also sold and shipped another jersey on Thursday.  Maybe things are looking up?