flyhighguys94

The Current Situation of the Secondary Market

303 posts in this topic

According to eBay:

"You may be charged an insertion fee to list your item. When applicable, insertion fees are charged every 30-day period for Good 'Til Cancelled listings."

I also double checked, and they give you 50 listings with no initial fee every month. So if you haven't exceeded 50, then yes, there would be no fee. 

Alright. It was my understanding that the 50 free listings only applied to certain kinds of listings like the 7 day listings, not to all kinds.

46 minutes ago, CJ Matthews said:

Alright. It was my understanding that the 50 free listings only applied to certain kinds of listings like the 7 day listings, not to all kinds.

It didn't say that on the fee page I looked at, but I guess anything is possible. 

Yeah I'm nowhere close to 50 a month which is why I've never been charged an insertion fee

1 hour ago, TMLFAN said:

Yeah I'm nowhere close to 50 a month which is why I've never been charged an insertion fee

+1 

I guess I wouldn't be either if I did 30 day listings, but if you list 15-20 things as 7 day listings, 4 times a month, you hit the 50 limit.

I'm at the point where pretty much every jersey I sell is used to cover part or all of the cost of a jersey I am buying.  Therefore I can't really have jerseys sit on BIN or best offer for months.  I had a jersey where I had on BIN or best offer for 3 months with absolutely not 1 single offer in that time and switched it to auction with reserve to finally sell it.

11 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I'm at the point where pretty much every jersey I sell is used to cover part or all of the cost of a jersey I am buying.  Therefore I can't really have jerseys sit on BIN or best offer for months.  I had a jersey where I had on BIN or best offer for 3 months with absolutely not 1 single offer in that time and switched it to auction with reserve to finally sell it.

That's usually my goal as well. I try to put as little "new money"in as possible. But the timing doesn't always work on that.

I use PayPal Credit and it's 6 months no payments and no interest to bridge the gap whenI don't think the one I want to buy will still be there by the time I sell what I need to sell. 

I've never needed more than six months (probably not even 2 months) to sell a jersey, so it's never been an issue.

I'll also sometimes sell jerseys I know I don't want anymore without a plan as to what I will buy when they sell. In that instance, it doesn't matter how long it takes, unless and until I find what I want to use the money for in the interim. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's usually my goal as well. I try to put as little "new money"in as possible. But the timing doesn't always work on that.

I use PayPal Credit and it's 6 months no payments and no interest to bridge the gap whenI don't think the one I want to buy will still be there by the time I sell what I need to sell. 

I've never needed more than six months (probably not even 2 months) to sell a jersey, so it's never been an issue.

I'll also sometimes sell jerseys I know I don't want anymore without a plan as to what I will buy when they sell. In that instance, it doesn't matter how long it takes, unless and until I find what I want to use the money for in the interim. 

I might have to look into the paypal credit thing for the future.  I take it when you sell a jersey later you can apply the funds right to the credit?  Or does paypal automatically apply it to it?

You can apply it right from your PayPal account. They do not do it automatically.

The flaw in that is, when you apply it from your PayPal account, it takes them a little while to process it, and the funds don't come out of your account until you do. So if you apply your account balance to your Credit account, that money stays in your account until later that night. If you try to buy something else NOT using credit, it will pull the funds out of your account balance first, and your credit payment will be short. They will then pull the entire amount of your payment from your bank account.

You could, however, but the second item via PayPal credit without an issue. If it's under $99, you have to pay at the end of the month to avoid interest, just like a regular credit card. 

Now that transfers to my bank account only take a day, I just withdraw the balance (no fee) to my bank account, which takes the money out of your balance immediately, and then send it back to PayPal Credit when it hits my account. This keeps me from the issue described above and only delays payment by a day.

Had some tough financial times a couple years ago when we renovated the house, I was also able to make a couple purchases that I didn't have the cash for (I remember a $150 costume for my daughter's dance recital). I didn't have the $150 that week, but I knew I'd have it in a few weeks. I also knew if I didn't, I could just pay $25 a month for 6 months. In that instance, I paid it off in full by the one month mark. 

Ultimately, all PayPal Credit is is a credit card without the card. With the added bonus of no payments, no interest above $99. Ther have had special offers of 12 months on larger purchases also, but I forget the dollar amount. They haven't offered that in a couple years though. 

Warning: as with every "no payments no interest" deal, if you don't pay in full before the end of the promo period, you pay ALL of the interest on the entire purchase. But they have each payment clearly marked on the PayPal website to tell you exactly when the promo period expires. Pay before that date and you're all good. 

So our friends in Branchburg have dumped a few hundred pre-season jerseys onto the market. This is going to make moving lower-tier players even harder now on the secondary market. 

On the other hand, great time to buy. 

15 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

So our friends in Branchburg have dumped a few hundred pre-season jerseys onto the market. This is going to make moving lower-tier players even harder now on the secondary market. 

How is this any more difficult then when they had the $100/$150 sale on about 70 various NHL regular season jerseys? Most of those disappeared within a couple months... and those trying to flip the 8 David Legwands are still holding them.

10 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Eh, at worst maybe a tiny bit.  Those jerseys are realistically worth only about $100 anyways.  I see a lot of stuff on the FB groups that are listed in the $200-350 range by private collectors that really should be in the $100-200 range that just sits there for months.  I feel like I see the same 50-100 jerseys all the time in those groups and they are all overpriced hence why they sit.

I agree Devilsguy, there's a lot of way overpriced stuff. It's the same group of traders on Facebook over and over. I do think, though, that this will force some of these jerseys down even further in secondary sale price. I have some that just aren't moving that I've cut the price on a bit and may have to again. 

32 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

I agree Devilsguy, there's a lot of way overpriced stuff. It's the same group of traders on Facebook over and over. I do think, though, that this will force some of these jerseys down even further in secondary sale price. I have some that just aren't moving that I've cut the price on a bit and may have to again. 

Yeah it is about time some of those piles of Bridgeport Sound Tigers jerseys of scrubs I see all over the FB groups finally move after the sellers realize they are not worth in the $250-350 range.

While we are at it, can we please get rid of the equipment, pucks and bobble heads from the jersey groups? (Sorry for going off topic.)

53 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

While we are at it, can we please get rid of the equipment, pucks and bobble heads from the jersey groups? (Sorry for going off topic.)

Thank you.  I really want to say this sometimes, but I know I will be destroyed on there.

Also wish the group was split into 2: One for NHL only and the other for Minors and juniors.

There are too many groups in general. There are multiple general game worn groups, plus multiple specialty groups. It's impossible to keep up with them all, and people post the same thing in 6 different places and clog up news feeds and notifications. It's annoying, and I'm over it. I turned off my facebook last week and I don't miss it one bit.

I have been biting my tongue for weeks but I know, like you, that it won't be so warmly received if I do bring it up. The mods across multiple groups need to start paying attention. It's not just one group, it's almost all of them.

I don't even bother looking at them seriously. They're a joke. In fact, I love when two people start arguing...that cracks me up because people get so upset over the dumbest things on those Facebook groups. I don't think I've ever had one successful buying or selling experience on there.

I will admit, Facebook has been really good for finding jerseys. If you can just sort through the carp and the pettiness... That said, I am a chronic blocker. Ha, that must explain why I can't sell anything... I've blocked a big part of that market. 

18 minutes ago, flyhighguys94 said:

I don't even bother looking at them seriously. They're a joke. In fact, I love when two people start arguing...that cracks me up because people get so upset over the dumbest things on those Facebook groups. I don't think I've ever had one successful buying or selling experience on there.

We have done a few deals 

I can go the rest of my life without hearing about how incredible someone thinks a Jon Scott Rangers Heritage jersey is.

22 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

I will admit, Facebook has been really good for finding jerseys... I've blocked a big part of that market. 

That's what I've done too. If you're collecting a specific niche, you can likely afford to block a large number of chronic babblers and flippers.