The Current Situation of the Secondary Market

flyhighguys94

I got a stack of about 7-8 at home.  I should out them up on ebay for $25 a pop.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't keep them because they take up too much space. The USPS Priority Boxes I use are shipped flat and fit a jersey perfectly. So I never keep the "original box". Also known as "the box they stuck it in to ship it to your stupid Arse". 

2 hours ago, TMLFAN said:

Really guys?  I keep mine.  Worst case ontario I can use it to mail out a jersey if need be

Yup if you turn it inside out it becomes a nice jersey shipping box.

47 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Yup if you turn it inside out it becomes a nice jersey shipping box.

You COULD use it, but when the USPS is giving me boxes for free, there's no point in keeping a stack of already assembled, unflattened MeiGray boxes.

I keep boxes from just about everything else. 

I don't know if anyone else is aware of this, but if you're shipping multiple jerseys via USPS, their Priority Mail board game boxes work well. I've used them every time to ship to EPS.

2 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

I don't know if anyone else is aware of this, but if you're shipping multiple jerseys via USPS, their Priority Mail board game boxes work well. I've used them every time to ship to EPS.

How many are you fitting in there? I use the 15x14x3 box, and that maxes out at like 2. The board game box is also 3" but its longer, can you fit 4 in there?

33 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You COULD use it, but when the USPS is giving me boxes for free, there's no point in keeping a stack of already assembled, unflattened MeiGray boxes.

I keep boxes from just about everything else. 

Depends on where I am shipping to.  If it is from NJ to Florida, into the inside out Meigray boxes they go.  If it is from NJ to say NY, then into a priority mailing non-flat rate box it goes.  If it is going from NJ to California, then into a priority flat rate box it goes.

lol this thing shouldn't be a science but unfortunately it kind of is.

1 minute ago, jsh139 said:

It's just a box.  Makes no sense to me.

Apparently it meant a lot to the potential buyer enough to ask about it.  I guess this is a by-product of other hobbies where the packaging is as important to the collectors as the actual stuff inside.  Star Wars action figures and other vintage toys comes immediately to mind in regards to this.

4 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Apparently it meant a lot to the potential buyer enough to ask about it.  I guess this is a by-product of other hobbies where the packaging is as important to the collectors as the actual stuff inside.  Star Wars action figures and other vintage toys comes immediately to mind in regards to this.

Yeah, I guess. Maybe the guy has a whole storage room full of GW jerseys still "minty fresh" in their boxes.  All folded and creased.

3 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Yeah, I guess. Maybe the guy has a whole storage room full of GW jerseys still "minty fresh" in their boxes.  All folded and creased.

I didn't get the vibe that he was really a collector of jerseys specifically.  If he is, then his question is even more alien to me.

24 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

That question is a great example of a buyer who will not be buying your jersey. Once they ask a question like that, you can pretty much rule them out as not being serious. 

30 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Depends on where I am shipping to.  If it is from NJ to Florida, into the inside out Meigray boxes they go.  If it is from NJ to say NY, then into a priority mailing non-flat rate box it goes.  If it is going from NJ to California, then into a priority flat rate box it goes.

lol this thing shouldn't be a science but unfortunately it kind of is.

Why do you turn the MeiGray box inside out?

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Why do you turn the MeiGray box inside out?

Two reasons:

1) According to USPS, the boxes need to be free of writing and other markings on the outside of the box.  90% of the time the post office worker doesn't give a s***, but once in a while I run into one who is a complete and makes me sharpie out stuff like barcodes that are showing.  I wish I was kidding about this but I am not.

2) Security reasons.  I don't want to ship something that says Meigray on the outside, sits on the recipient's porch for the world to see and look up on their phone what Meigray is.

10 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Two reasons:

1) According to USPS, the boxes need to be free of writing and other markings on the outside of the box.  90% of the time the post office worker doesn't give a s***, but once in a while I run into one who is a complete and makes me sharpie out stuff like barcodes that are showing.  I wish I was kidding about this but I am not.

2) Security reasons.  I don't want to ship something that says Meigray on the outside, sits on the recipient's porch for the world to see and look up on their phone what Meigray is.

The few times I shipped in a MeiGray box, I just taped white paper and the shipping label over the MeiGray logo, never had an issue. But I guess I can see that.

Just ordered some more USPS Priority boxes, I'll stick with those and not worry about it. 

USPS is giving you guys boxes for free????

If Canada Post did that I wouldn't keep any boxes.  Right now anytime I get a jersey mailed to me I keep the box or bag it was mailed in to reuse.

10 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

If Canada Post did that I wouldn't keep any boxes.  Right now anytime I get a jersey mailed to me I keep the box or bag it was mailed in to reuse.

Yup, Priority Mail boxes are provided free of charge as an incentive to use Priority Mail. I keep WAY less boxes than I used to, but if I get interesting sizes to ship stuff other than jerseys, I will usually hang onto them for a little while. 

My dad is a very active eBay seller and bought some of those Rubbermaid shelving units that he set up in his basement just to house all of the different sizes of Priority Mail boxes he uses. He has most sizes "in stock". Chances are, if I don't have a box that I need, all I need to do is run by my parents' house. 

12 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

Yup they give you priority boxes for free.  You just have to order them online and they arrive in usually about a week or so.  Only catch is that they must ship via priority service as they are priority boxes.

Just now, Devilsguy said:

Yup they give you priority boxes for free.  You just have to order them online and they arrive in usually about a week or so.  Only catch is that they must ship via priority service as they are priority boxes.

You can also, in theory, pick them up at the post office. Though mine never has the ones I need whenever I have tried. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You can also, in theory, pick them up at the post office. Though mine never has the ones I need whenever I have tried. 

They usually only have flat rates which unless I am shipping across the country are more than the regular free priority mailing boxes.  What's great is that I know they all have the regular ones but keep them in the back.  The clerks I have a good rapport with usually hook me up with them but most just point me to the flat rate ones and tell me that's all they have.

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

How many are you fitting in there? I use the 15x14x3 box, and that maxes out at like 2. The board game box is also 3" but its longer, can you fit 4 in there?

I've only done three at a time and it works decently.