Hockey Fights Cancer - Retail authentics

Zeshy25

On 11/2/2016 at 3:45 PM, mfitz804 said:

I was looking for one as well and could not find one. Kind of stupid if you ask me, perfect opportunity to raise money by giving a portion of the proceeds to cancer research. You wanna fight cancer, hockey? Sell the jerseys to people who want them and then donate some of the proceeds!

I think a lot of teams are afraid that, if authentics of the various special jerseys are available for retail, it would cut into the auction pricing of the team-used ones.  There's also the question of how many they'd be forced to order and what the pricing would look like on them.

I'm not so sure about the auction part, especially where the team is not getting the proceeds, its going to charity. Whatever money was "lost" on the charity auctions could be made up by donating a portion of the proceeds on retail authentics. I would venture to guess that you'd probably donate even more money that way, as you would probably sell multiple times more retail authentics than the 20 or so game worns that are available. 

But, knowing how many people would be interested in buying a pink practice jersey would definitely be a concern. 

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not so sure about the auction part, especially where the team is not getting the proceeds, its going to charity. Whatever money was "lost" on the charity auctions could be made up by donating a portion of the proceeds on retail authentics. I would venture to guess that you'd probably donate even more money that way, as you would probably sell multiple times more retail authentics than the 20 or so game worns that are available. 

But, knowing how many people would be interested in buying a pink practice jersey would definitely be a concern. 

The problem is that it's extremely risky.  Teams didn't exactly blow through pre-Edge authentics when they $200, and as the Edge versions have been closer to $300 over the last decade, it's gotten worse.

Considering the short production runs on the special jerseys (HFC, camo, St Pat's), it's very possible that there would be a minimum order of at least 48 at a cost of $175 (making the retail price point an absolute minimum of $325, and more likely $350).  And that's for a jersey that may not be used more than one year, and may well have a tough time selling at-cost after the event is passed.

If Reebok were willing to do some type of a consignment deal instead of a direct sale, it might be more feasible for all involved parties.

Assuming they'd be looking to make a profit, I would agree with you. My idea was to make them available to help the cause associated with them, not to make profit for the team. 

They could pay $175 (or less, if Reebok were on board with the whole charity thing), sell for $225 (again, or less if Reebok played ball), and donate the $50 per jersey to cancer research. Thus, it would be lower priced and more people would buy it because of that plus because the idea of helping a charity tends to push people in the right direction.

I am 100% certain I could negotiate this deal. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Assuming they'd be looking to make a profit, I would agree with you. My idea was to make them available to help the cause associated with them, not to make profit for the team. 

They could pay $175 (or less, if Reebok were on board with the whole charity thing), sell for $225 (again, or less if Reebok played ball), and donate the $50 per jersey to cancer research. Thus, it would be lower priced and more people would buy it because of that plus because the idea of helping a charity tends to push people in the right direction.

I am 100% certain I could negotiate this deal. 

Clearly you've never dealt with Reebok. ;)

1 hour ago, Nathan said:

Clearly you've never dealt with Reebok. ;)

Nope, but I'm a master negotiator, I ain't scared.

:D

On 11/3/2016 at 1:59 PM, Devilsguy said:

lol don't worry.  I don't think his own family would bid that much for it.

Looks like his grandmother begs to differ. I've been outbid. 

Against my better judgment, I increased my bid to the max amount I'd pay for a jersey I have to strip/re-do. I was promptly outbid, and now I'm out.