When did jerseys get super baggy?

Does anyone know at what point in the 80s that jerseys first took on the CCM vintage kind of cut, rather than the more form fitting cut of the 60s and 70s?  I've seen pics of the Kings wearing their 80-88 set where some look like slightly loose shirts and others are full-on circus tents.  I never liked that big, baggy aesthetic and I never cared for wearing CCM 550s.  It's really the sleeves that bug me the most.  If I raise my arm straight out, I have ~6 inches of sleeve hanging down.  As cheapo as reebok premiers can come across, I've grown to love the cut of them.  They remind me of what jerseys used to look like in the 70s. 

You have longer sleeves in a 550 than in a comparable size Premier?? That seems off, Premier sleeves are so long!

Of course I have a 37" sleeve so I may not be the best judge. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You have longer sleeves in a 550 than in a comparable size Premier?? That seems off, Premier sleeves are so long!

Of course I have a 37" sleeve so I may not be the best judge. 

I meant the width of the sleeves, not the length.  I wear a size S premier and a 550 size M.  I always liked how the premier sleeves are a lot narrower, similar to like they were back before the 80s. 

CCM's throughout the mid-1980's and 1990's didn't vary much in sleeve or even body width.  The reason some players in the mid-80's look like they had narrower jerseys is because they actually wore small size jerseys like 48's!  In the later 80's and throughout the 90's, the sizes got bigger and it was more typical for players to wear 54's and 56's.  But the basic design of the CCM jerseys, as well as the relative proportions of sleeve width and jersey width were pretty much the same throughout the 80's and 90's.  It was after the year 2000 that CCM (as well as sister company Koho) made the jerseys with the really wide baggy arms.  They continued this way throughout the Reebok years (2005-07) until Reebok came out with the current Edge model jerseys (2007-on).

Edited by LAK74

On 11/10/2016 at 8:51 PM, mfitz804 said:

Try a goalie cut, you'll feel like you can hanglide off a cliff.

I see goalie cuts for sale all the time on jersey baron.  It puts into perspective how big their gear is these days.  Me and two clones of me could probably fit in one of those.

On 11/10/2016 at 8:51 PM, mfitz804 said:

Try a goalie cut, you'll feel like you can hanglide off a cliff.

You talkin' to me?!?!

On 11/10/2016 at 5:23 PM, LAK74 said:

CCM's throughout the mid-1980's and 1990's didn't vary much in sleeve or even body width.  The reason some players in the mid-80's look like they had narrower jerseys is because they actually wore small size jerseys like 48's!  In the later 80's and throughout the 90's, the sizes got bigger and it was more typical for players to wear 54's and 56's.  But the basic design of the CCM jerseys, as well as the relative proportions of sleeve width and jersey width were pretty much the same throughout the 80's and 90's.  It was after the year 2000 that CCM (as well as sister company Koho) made the jerseys with the really wide baggy arms.  They continued this way throughout the Reebok years (2005-07) until Reebok came out with the current Edge model jerseys (2007-on).

The equipment was a lot smaller back then and it wasn't until the latter part of the 80s that Douglas and Easton introduced "football-style" shoulder pads.

As years have gone by, the equipment (elbow + shoulder pads) has gotten "more protective" (i.e. larger)

• 1 month later...

I agree that the 550 and 6100 days were just silly. Even big players were swimming in their jerseys. Looking through pics now, the guys look ridiculous. Another thing the Edge fixed in addition to the overall fit was proper placement of the shoulder and sleeve elements–Compare these images and note how far down the arms the tomahawk Cs and sleeve numbers had fallen by the early-00s.

31916564585_27d7bb817e.jpg31076663734_99962e0f61_z.jpg