Are Indo-Edges really that bad?

zetastrike

I just bought a custom Sharks white Indo-edge from sharksoutlet the other day and only thought to email and ask them if it was Canadian or not after the fact.  They replied that it is Indonesian because the Canadian made 2.0s are only sold to Canadian retailers.  It was too late and I wasn't upset because it was on sale for the same price as a custom premier.  I'm excited to see how it is.  The only authentic I have is a Canadian 1.0 Panthers, which I don't wear that often because it's almost too heavy and it's a couple sizes too big.  Are Indo-edges a step up from premiers, aside from having real/stitched patches and crests?  I already love premiers, so I don't think I'll be disappointed.

They're not as good as Canadian authentics but they are definitely superior to any replicas, including pre-Edge replicas, which are far beyond the Premiers. They're a second-tier authentic, so still an authentic. In a pinch, they do the job just fine.

I only ever really looked at one once, at the Devils team store. I had no issues with it, if I found a good deal on one, I'd buy it as an alternative to spending $250 on a 2.0. 

5 hours ago, FOOTCAKE said:

personally speaking, they're bloody awful.

going from an authentic to game worn, ive never looked back since. but like i said, just my two cents.

What specifically is your issue with them? 

People say "Indos are crap" all the time but nobody ever explains themselves, 

12 minutes ago, FOOTCAKE said:

@mfitz804: sorry, for the late reply. my issue with it is the feel of the jersey, the jersey materials itself. when compared that with the candian 2.0s, theres a huge difference, in terms of quality.

I'll  have to check again. I only saw one once, at the Devils team store, but I don't think I owned a 2.0 yet at that time so I didn't have one to compare to. 

I have one Indo-edge which I bought because it was only $25.  My opinion on them is they are just a replica with a fight strap attached.  Wearing one feels exactly like wearing a replica to me.  Since they feel like a replica they only warrant a replica price in my opinion so Reebok selling them for what they do is laughable.

28 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

I have one Indo-edge which I bought because it was only $25.  My opinion on them is they are just a replica with a fight strap attached.  Wearing one feels exactly like wearing a replica to me.  Since they feel like a replica they only warrant a replica price in my opinion so Reebok selling them for what they do is laughable.

I've never seen one in person, so I'm just gonna have to trust you guys. Some of the ones I see on eBay look much like a 2.0, but that must be deceiving.

When compared to a 2.0, the materials of the Indo just look and feel cheaper to me.  The sleeves are rather thin like those of Premiers because they don't have double elbows.

9 hours ago, LAK74 said:

When compared to a 2.0, the materials of the Indo just look and feel cheaper to me.  The sleeves are rather thin like those of Premiers because they don't have double elbows.

They look and feel cheaper to me as well and I think they do use slightly inferior materials and build than the 2.0's.

I think a lot of people have issue with is how Reebok is marketing them.  If Reebok came out and marketed these as semi-pro's or something of that sort with appropriate pricing, there wouldn't be an issue.  Instead, Reebok pushed these as "authentic" and telling their retailers that they are the same as the on-ice jerseys (they're not) with 2.0 prices.  This is where a lot of the hate against them comes from IMO.

27 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I think a lot of people have issue with is how Reebok is marketing them.  If Reebok came out and marketed these as semi-pro's or something of that sort with appropriate pricing, there wouldn't be an issue.  Instead, Reebok pushed these as "authentic" and telling their retailers that they are the same as the on-ice jerseys (they're not) with 2.0 prices.  This is where a lot of the hate against them comes from IMO.

You totally nailed it.  Reebok never seems to have made it plain that Indo "authentics" are merely copies of what the players wear, and not the real thing.  It's my feeling that the majority of people who work at retail locations that sell these have no idea about the differences.  Consequently, I know there are some buyers of these Indos who think they are wearing jerseys that are the same as the pro ones.

I probably won't be adding any Indos. At this point, I am resolved to only collecting pre-Edge stuff so they are off my radar. 

I actually do have 1 indo and that is my Bruce Driver game worn jersey he wore in the 1995 alumni game last year.  Outside of that I do not plan on owning any others as well.

I think it depends on what team you are looking at for Indio-edge jerseys.. some are just horrid while some are pretty close.  The tampa ones I've bought (for cheap) have been pretty dang good IMO.  Back in the day you couldn't find the Newer white Canadian Jerseys so it was Indio or nothing.  

Of course, being collectors, we have a much finer eye than just about everyone else in an arena.  

That being said, I don't own very many Indio's but I don't feel they are bad enough to get rid of them.. they are what they are and I'll wear them when I don't want to be concerned with damaging/staining an authentic  :D

• 2 weeks later...

I saw what I think was a Yotes Indo at the team store last night.  Didn't look too bad, but if it was an Indo for $250 is silly when JB has Canadian versions for $50 more?

I will say that my main issue with the Indo Edge is just the principle of it–I want to buy something made in Canada, not in a sweatshop. That said, Indo Edges are pretty nice, and in terms of a jersey to wear they are better too. The lack of double elbows and shoulders makes them lighter, plus they fit WAY better than the Edge 2.0 with its wizard sleeves. I can't wear an Edge 2.0 without getting the sleeves tailored because I feel ridiculous. Indos fit more like an Edge 1.0.

An edge 2.0 is made to the exact specs the players wear.  Players wear padding which requires sleeves large enough to go over said padding.  Obviously the sleeves will be huge on someone not wearing any padding.

4 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

An edge 2.0 is made to the exact specs the players wear.  Players wear padding which requires sleeves large enough to go over said padding.  Obviously the sleeves will be huge on someone not wearing any padding.

Yeah, that's just kind of how they are supposed to be. I think the sleeves on the 1.0 were a huge issue for most players. 

I believe the first run of Indo Edge's were pretty bad - at least from photos I've seen.  Loose stitching and less attention paid to detail.  I remember the Penguins black and gold jersey had the fight stap sewn in black thread over the white stripe and it just looked sloppy the outside.  I think they've cleaned up a lot since.

I almost picked up a Sharks Heritage Indo on Ebay a month ago and forgot about it.  It went to auction and sold for about $180.  It was the only Indo-Edge of that I've ever come across on Ebay.  It looked great in the up-close pictures.

Also as a side note in reference to above, I do have to say I like the fit of the Edge 1.0's better.  The longer and more form fitting sleeves felt and looked better just wearing to a game or whatever.  I love everything about wearing the the 2.0s except the sleeves.