Jersey Photo Tips

bluejacket

This week I got some new studio lights to use to photograph my jerseys.  I have been playing around with the set up and here is an example of my results.  Any thoughts or tips to improve the photos?  Would a different color background work better or should I stick to white?   Photos were taken using a iPhone 7.  

15228074_595116424021697_1240740709_n.jp  

Looks awesome. I've been taking photos like a mad man the past few days for my ebay listings. I wish I had a 4'X4' piece of white board. It looks so clean. A tan colored bed sheet will suffice...lol. 

Having good light is key...I've got a pretty awesome camera but the flash blows. 

Great job. 

Looks very good!  Just missing your jersey rack behind the jersey though.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Did you buy studio lights just for taking jersey pictures? That's badass!

Yes lol I've been wanting to take better photos for some time.  I got the set up for under $80 so it was not much of an investment.  Luckily the new iPhone camera is pretty good so I did not need to put any money into a new camera. 

2 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Looks very good!  Just missing your jersey rack behind the jersey though.

Devilsguy has more pictures of his rack online than the Kardashians. 

Wow, I didn't know that a studio light setup could be so affordable. IMO the white background looks the best.

I need to find a better photo setup than my bedroom floor, but I don't have good natural, non-direct light anywhere in my house, really.  Most pics come out ok, but I struggle with blues. They come out yellow:

20161126_133845.jpg

Taken at the same time:

20161126_133946.jpg

Try adjusting the white balance either in your camera or in post-processing using a photo tool like Adobe Lightroom.  I use a tool called PT Photo Editor. It was really cheap.  Alternatively, there are tons of free tools out there, too.  Even the Windows standard Photo Gallery allows you to play around with the exposure and tint.

If your looking for a cheap white background I purchased a tri fold Bristol board from my local dollar store.  It was around $8 and is big enough to lay a jersey on top off.

19 hours ago, bluejacket said:

Yes lol I've been wanting to take better photos for some time.  I got the set up for under $80 so it was not much of an investment.  Luckily the new iPhone camera is pretty good so I did not need to put any money into a new camera. 

Photos look great. I was gonna say, paying a lot for a fancy lighting setup only to use an iPhone camera is like buying a top-notch surround sound system for a 12-in TV. But I'm glad the lights didn't run you much. I should consider doing the same; I've got a great camera but crappy light and nowhere to lay the jerseys out that's not covered in dog and cat hair...

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I HATE dollar stores where things don't cost a dollar. That's just a "store"!!!

I think this was the most expensive thing in the store.

1 hour ago, Chazberg said:

Photos look great. I was gonna say, paying a lot for a fancy lighting setup only to use an iPhone camera is like buying a top-notch surround sound system for a 12-in TV. But I'm glad the lights didn't run you much. I should consider doing the same; I've got a great camera but crappy light and nowhere to lay the jerseys out that's not covered in dog and cat hair...

This is the set I picked up.  I had a 15% off code so I ended up paying less then $80 for it.  https://jet.com/product/Complete-Studio-Lighting-Backdrop-Stand-Background-Light-Kit-GLC011/184b92c86700498095c76f466e870838  If you don't want the backdrop you can get just the lights for around $50.