Yellow residue from patch application (glue?)

Chazberg

I've had a bit of a patch fiasco with a jersey I got done at City Sports Lettering. I gave them the Finals patch to add to the jersey, but I didn't remove the plastic backing as I assumed they'd take care of it. Well, they sewed the patch on, backing and all, and the stiffness of it and just knowing the backing was there bugged me to the point where I had to remove the patch myself and take it back for them to re-apply. When I got it back the second time, the patch had a discolored yellow outline around it, I'm assuming from the adhesive they used. I've seen a similar effect on a Canadiens' 2016 WC jersey with the shoulder patch.

Does anyone have good tips for removing this yellow residue? I've tried a few rounds of Goo Gone and washing, and it's helped some but it's not totally gone. Would Goo-Off be any better? I'm worried about the fabric's integrity; it's an Edge 1.0 and there's already one spot that's a little stressed from the seam ripping.

31339129945_3e7202e588_c.jpg

Edited by Chazberg

Second vote for Acetone.  I skip the Goof Off/Goo Gone altogether and go straight to Acetone now.  I also find that it has less of a tendency to leave outlines and ghosting.  Maybe because it evaporates and leave no residue?

The problem is that anything you use, you'll need to be careful unless you remove the patch first.  Otherwise, you might inadvertently end up taking off some of the adhesive holding down the patch and cause it to come loose.  Just use a small amount.  Maybe on a q-tip or something.

I got a couple SCF patches for my Hawks jerseys earlier in the year, and they both arrived with a yellow halo around them, right out of the packaging.  I soaked them for a couple days in dilute Oxy-clean and it whitened them up pretty well.  That would be easier to do if the patch was off, but you could rig something up without too much trouble, I'd think.  Then you don't have to worry about dissolving the adhesive you want to keep.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll give the acetone a try first. I'm well acquainted with its lovely odor from my days working at my dad's print shop...

• 4 months later...

Hello again folks, I have a follow-up question on this matter.

I've applied the acetone to the jersey and while it did succeed in breaking up the yellow residue around the patch, it's now leaving rings at the edges of wear it was applied, I guess because the loosened glue residue is spreading out and pooling? Or are these rings in fact the actual acetone? I have tried several applications and each time it just spreads out and pools a little wider.

34011314751_7a4d99c8a4_c.jpg

Does anyone have a solution for this? I was thinking of soaking the whole jersey in a diluted acetone solution, to try and completely free all the residue from the fabric once and for all. But I am a little nervous to treat the entire jersey, especially the patches, with this harsh chemical...

That's also happened to me quite a few times. I applied fresh acetone to the affected areas, then rinsed immediately with cold water (didn't have to wash the entire jersey), and that did the trick each time.  If you wait until the acetone dries before washing, it doesn't seem to work.

Edit:  Forgot to mention something that's probably obvious- gently rub the affected fabric together while applying the acetone and especially while rinsing with water.  I also didn't realize how close the stained areas were to the crest.  Repeated applications of acetone may loosen the bond between the jersey and crest as well.  Or you may possibly get some yellowing oozing out from the adhesive under the crest, so rinse quickly after applying the acetone.

Edited by LAK74

Would CSL remove the backing prior to patch application, or do you all recommend just doing it myself? Additionally, will a patch curl if I decide to ship to them instead of drop off?

This whole thread started because CSL did not bother to remove the backing before stitching the patch down.  Nothing should happen to a patch sent flat in the mail.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your question.  I don't know if they would refuse if you asked them to do it.  I have to admit though, if I were a customizer and a customer sent in a bunch of patches all with the backing, it might seem kind of annoying to have to remove all of them, because it would take a bit of time.  I always do it myself so I don't have to either bug the customizer or end up with a situation like that of the OP.

I have had EPS remove the backing on patches before and they don't even charge for it. Pretty sure they just chuck it in the heat press, heat it up, and peel it off. 

If you were going to ask them to do it, I'd suggest finding out before you send it in so you don't wind up in the same predicament. 

• 5 months later...

OK, update #2 after another 6 months have passed...

I finally succeeded in getting all the pooled glue residue off the Finals patch, but now some freaky stuff is starting to happen to the crest of the jersey, which was in the line of fire of the acetone. As you can see in the image, there are discolored areas forming in sort of an outline in the brown areas of the face, most noticeably at the jaw and neck. This is really starting to freak me out and I'm beginning to worry I've ruined the jersey. Is this the glue from the crest seeping through? Discoloration to the fabric from the acetone? Something else? I'm hesitant now to just pour more acetone right on the crest as I don't want this problem to get worse.

37742405081_2472a20eea_c.jpg

All this because of the stupid freaking plastic backing on the Finals patch.....:(

Edited by Chazberg

I've had CSL do a couple SCF jerseys for me and they'll just sew it on without removing the plastic.  Doesn't really bother me so I left it.

Did you try washing it?

Edited by Hawks2797

Is there any staining pattern on the fabric under the crest?  I wonder if the acetone wasn't fully washed out from the crest, and it caused a bleeding/fading effect on the brown part of the crest.

Do NOT pour acetone directly on the crest.  Very high probability that you will ruin it if you don’t that.