What do teams typically do with emergency signing players' jerseys?

TheKevinShow

Corey Crawford was out today due to appendicitis and because the Blackhawks were on the road, a call-up from Rockford wasn't possible. They signed a local player named Eric Semborski to an ATO to be the backup goalie while Scott Darling got the start. The video of him warming up showed that they took one of Crawford's jerseys and put a new nameplate on it.

In situations like that, what typically happens to those jerseys? Do they put them back into circulation with the original nameplate re-applied, or have some of these emergency ATO players been allowed to keep their jerseys? If I was in his shoes, I certainly wouldn't ask to keep it but if they offered to let me, there's no way I'd turn it down.

In this specific instance, it looks like the Leafs gave him a jersey to keep.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/10/18/maple_leafs_let_university_of_toronto_goalie_brett_willows_dream_come_true.html

It is unclear though what they did with the game jersey 

Edited by HockeyMusic

It doesn't sound like he'll be getting the jersey he actually wore, but hey, even a customized retail authentic is pretty cool when there's proof that you wore the real thing for 60 minutes. That guy is going to have an awesome story to tell his kids.

My friend was called in as an emergency backup to Andrew Allen of the Trenton Titans back in 2004-05. They gave him a #1 jersey. However, Andrew Allen was #29 and Chris Houle was #30 that season. I've always wondered whether or not they made him up a specific jersey to use because there was nobody else on the roster that used #1 that season.

He always says that he regrets to this day not swiping the jersey on his way out after the game.

NHL goalies get to keep their jersey.  It's actually in the CBA.

Section 16.14 Goaltender Professional Try-Out Agreement

In the event of, and to address, a last minute injury that results in a Club not being able to dress two goaltenders for an NHL Game and when the League has determined that effectuating a Recall is otherwise impossible (e.g., a Recalled Player could not possibly have arrived in time to participate in the Game due to travel), such Club may sign a goaltender to a PTO in accordance with Section 11.1(c) and subject to the following provisions:

(d) A Player signed to a PTO pursuant to this section will be paid US $500 per game and will be allowed to keep his game-worn jersey.  This amount will not be included in calculating a Club's Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, and the Players' Share, for purposes of Article 50.

2 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Man, that goalie should flip his recycled Crawford Hawks. To heck with saving it, that jersey would be sold in a heartbeat.

I don't know about you but if it was and I got to dress for a NHL game it would take a lot for me to get rid of the jersey.  We're talking 6 figure offers before I would even consider it.

3 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

I don't know about you but if it was and I got to dress for a NHL game it would take a lot for me to get rid of the jersey.  We're talking 6 figure offers before I would even consider it.

Agreed. I'm not even sure I'd entertain it at all. But I'm nuts. 

On 12/4/2016 at 11:43 AM, Nathan said:

NHL goalies get to keep their jersey.  It's actually in the CBA.

That isn't applicable here, as this was an amateur try out contract, not a PTO. I think the article specifically said he was not paid (the $500), so I don't know if the part about keeping the jersey applies either. 

My guess is, they just throw Crawford's nameplate back on it and put it back into rotation like nothing ever happened. That's why they give him a different jersey.

That being said, I would not be beyond "accidentally" tossing it in my equipment bag. 

17 minutes ago, tomtucker said:

How can they not pay him? no one works for free

Its an amateur tryout. Its designed for college players so it doesn't mess up their eligibility. 

And incidentally, there's at least a hundred guys on this site that would back up an NHL goalie for free if you asked them to. I know I would. I'd probably PAY $500 to do it!!!

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Its an amateur tryout. Its designed for college players so it doesn't mess up their eligibility. 

And incidentally, there's at least a hundred guys on this site that would back up an NHL goalie for free if you asked them to. I know I would. I'd probably PAY $500 to do it!!!

I would be first on that list

.....and given the crop of leafs goalies as of late I would have a legitimate shot

1 hour ago, HockeyMusic said:

I would be first on that list

.....and given the crop of leafs goalies as of late I would have a legitimate shot

There's a chance you could start!!

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.

I was going through some Getty images today and saw a few pics of this guy.  The nameplate they put on his jersey doesn't even match the rest of the team.  It's actually the old Flyers orange jersey font!  Pretty cool.  I'd be interested to know the process they went through to get it.

scott-darling-of-the-chicago-blackhawks-

view-of-goaltender-eric-semborski-of-the

15 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

"Sure, you're hired for the night. Bring your own nameplate."

Thats how I imagine that deal went. 

Probably not far off. 

27 minutes ago, chow_hound said:

The guy has a "Philly Proud" moniker on his mask backplate so you guys are probably right in that a local shop made up a nameplate on hawks red colored material. Either that or Chicago just doesnt give a . 

If I read the story correctly when this happened, he works for (or runs) a goalie camp in Philly. As soon as I recognized the font on the name plate, I drew my conclusion. 

I would be willing to bet money that they just stripped off the nameplate from the Crow game jersey and had a local shop sew on his name. This was such a last minute situation I doubt they could find the proper material or cared about the font. 

People pay $2,000-$3,000 just to sit between the benches at a Blackhawks game.  I could not even image how much some people would pay to suit it up for a NHL game. 

I am wondering if the Flyers Equipment Manager didn't help out with that, since the goalie was called up to fill in at a Flyers game.  it wouldn't surprise me if the hawks had extra material for a name plate or to use on repairs, but I could see not having letters since they were on the road.  They could have contacted the Flyers Equipment Manager to see if they could help out use some lettering the flyers had at the rink.  They would make sense considering that the jersey has flyers font lettering.  I know the teams equipment staffs are kind of like a fraternity and usually go out of their way to help each other out.  Kind of like when Clint Reiff died in Chicago, many of the other teams equipment staff wore the patch on their shirts and other things after his passing.