Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheKevinShow

What do teams typically do with emergency signing players' jerseys?

43 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, chow_hound said:

The guy has a "Philly Proud" moniker on his mask backplate so you guys are probably right in that a local shop made up a nameplate on hawks red colored material. Either that or Chicago just doesnt give a . 

If I read the story correctly when this happened, he works for (or runs) a goalie camp in Philly. As soon as I recognized the font on the name plate, I drew my conclusion. 

I would be willing to bet money that they just stripped off the nameplate from the Crow game jersey and had a local shop sew on his name. This was such a last minute situation I doubt they could find the proper material or cared about the font. 

People pay $2,000-$3,000 just to sit between the benches at a Blackhawks game.  I could not even image how much some people would pay to suit it up for a NHL game. 

I am wondering if the Flyers Equipment Manager didn't help out with that, since the goalie was called up to fill in at a Flyers game.  it wouldn't surprise me if the hawks had extra material for a name plate or to use on repairs, but I could see not having letters since they were on the road.  They could have contacted the Flyers Equipment Manager to see if they could help out use some lettering the flyers had at the rink.  They would make sense considering that the jersey has flyers font lettering.  I know the teams equipment staffs are kind of like a fraternity and usually go out of their way to help each other out.  Kind of like when Clint Reiff died in Chicago, many of the other teams equipment staff wore the patch on their shirts and other things after his passing.

1 hour ago, chow_hound said:

The guy has a "Philly Proud" moniker on his mask backplate so you guys are probably right in that a local shop made up a nameplate on hawks red colored material. Either that or Chicago just doesnt give a . 

Isn't the story that he actually worked in a pro-shop? He may have done it himself!

That would be awesome if he actually did it himself. And using the Flyers font would be icing on the cake ;) 

This dude got to backup the Flyers backup tonight. Mason was out sick, so Neuvirth got the start and Stolarz was recalled as backup. Neuvirth fainted in the 1st and was stretchered off the ice. Stolarz came in and they picked up the phone and called Semborski. He wore #49 with no nameplate. He's even got Blackhawks graphics on his gear ?

emergency-backup-goaltender-eric-sembors

Edited by jsh139

So the Flyers guy who backed up the Blackhawks in a Flyers font Hawks jersey now uses his Hawks gear to back up the Flyers?  :lol:

OK - so while the (pesky) rules meant he was even less likely to actually see any game time than in his one-day stint with the Blackhawks, at least the Flyers got into the spirit of it, and got him on the ice to get a few stick taps from the players. Great photos and gifs doing the rounds already.

Given refs can't diagnose injuries, how much do you think anyone would have looked into it if Stolarz had claimed to have hurt his hand or pulled a muscle? Although that might have cheapened the whole thing. As it is, it's still part 2 of a really cool story...

Good publicity for the Flyers, but it seemed like the Blackhawks gave him loads of kit and flew him out to Chicago - what are the Flyers gonna do to beat that?

No but the ref can say he wasn't on the team sheet at the start of the game. 

8 hours ago, LAK74 said:

So the Flyers guy who backed up the Blackhawks in a Flyers font Hawks jersey now uses his Hawks gear to back up the Flyers?  :lol:

Haha, ya do what ya gotta do!

3 hours ago, DJ Rhea said:

No but the ref can say he wasn't on the team sheet at the start of the game. 

But if Stolarz were to be injured (or say he was injured), that would have been grounds for him to come on, wouldn't it?

Anyone know what the penalty would have been if the Flyers had left him out there when play resumed? (I suspect fielding an ineligible player, regardless of circumstance probably carries a reasonably large penalty).

5 hours ago, Ash said:

OK - so while the (pesky) rules meant he was even less likely to actually see any game time than in his one-day stint with the Blackhawks, at least the Flyers got into the spirit of it, and got him on the ice to get a few stick taps from the players. Great photos and gifs doing the rounds already.

Given refs can't diagnose injuries, how much do you think anyone would have looked into it if Stolarz had claimed to have hurt his hand or pulled a muscle? Although that might have cheapened the whole thing. As it is, it's still part 2 of a really cool story...

Good publicity for the Flyers, but it seemed like the Blackhawks gave him loads of kit and flew him out to Chicago - what are the Flyers gonna do to beat that?

Yeah, that was cool of them to try and get him into the actual game.  It's obviously a dream come true either way.  The Blackhawks didn't fly him out to Chicago.  He backed up Darling here in Philly.  Flyers were wearing their 50th jerseys so the Hawks wore their reds.

6 minutes ago, Ash said:

But if Stolarz were to be injured (or say he was injured), that would have been grounds for him to come on, wouldn't it?

Anyone know what the penalty would have been if the Flyers had left him out there when play resumed? (I suspect fielding an ineligible player, regardless of circumstance probably carries a reasonably large penalty).

Yeah, if Stolie had claimed an injury, he would have been allowed in.  No idea what the penalty would have been.  I assume the refs would have not allowed play to even resume until he left the ice.

57 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Yeah, if Stolie had claimed an injury, he would have been allowed in.  No idea what the penalty would have been.  I assume the refs would have not allowed play to even resume until he left the ice.

He was in the building having been called as an emergency backup because they didn't know if Stolarz could get there in time. I suspect that had he been needed, he'd have been permitted to play on an emergency basis. 

Maybe the Devils could have actually scored a goal. 

Same guy backed up for the Black hawks during a Flyers game .I think I read for payment the Blackhawks gave him all new gear thats why it has Chicago Logo .

He even did a public signing in Philly after the game at CARLS Card shop . 

7 hours ago, jsh139 said:

Yeah, that was cool of them to try and get him into the actual game.  It's obviously a dream come true either way.  The Blackhawks didn't fly him out to Chicago.  He backed up Darling here in Philly.  Flyers were wearing their 50th jerseys so the Hawks wore their reds.

No, I don't mean they flew him to Chicago for that first match - He became something of a minor celebrity with all the publicity and the Blackhawks were more than keen to capitalize on that, flying him out afterwards and giving him goaltending gear...

Wow; that is one dope mask with the Temple T on the top. I really like that.

4 hours ago, Ash said:

No, I don't mean they flew him to Chicago for that first match - He became something of a minor celebrity with all the publicity and the Blackhawks were more than keen to capitalize on that, flying him out afterwards and giving him goaltending gear...

Ah. Didn't know they did that for him. That's awesome.