Has anyone cut up multiple jerseys to create a new one?

mdwsta4

Like a lot of people, I was pretty disappointed by the Blackhawks jersey reveal for this year's Winter Classic. Seeing as the last 2 outdoor games were in white jerseys I was hoping for a red jersey this year. IMO, if they used last year's WC template but in red with the 50's crest it would have been perfect! 

Now that said, I love the 2017 WC throwback crest and the ribbed collar. And.... that's it. Not a fan of the widened waist stripes and preferred last year's tomahawks. So my mind kind of went down a spiral. What if I could take the best from each jersey and pieced together an entirely new jersey? It seems 'easy enough' to have the sleeves and bottom stripe section removed from both the '15 and '17, then sewn back on. This would effectively create a jersey that's near identical to the '57-58 jersey that the Hawks should have created in the first place.

I understand it's a lot of work and would be a jersey foul since I'm creating a nonexistent jersey, but I also think it would be the coolest looking Hawks jersey out there! So my question is, has anyone ever done anything remotely close to this? Thoughts? Wanna talk me into it? Out of it? 

2016 WC.jpg

2015 WC.jpg

1957-58.png

Edited by mdwsta4

You are kind of nuts if you take $600 worth of jerseys to create a complete foul. But I'm sure it could be done, and after all, it's your money!!

Yeah but the '17 collar is ribbed for his pleasure.

I had a similar thought of swapping the crests but wouldn't actually do it. I agree though, that would be a beauty.

8 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Wouldn't a crest swap get you 90% of the way there and also avoid the inevitably disastrous Frankenjersey operation?

Thought about that too and it would definitely be easier. That ribbed collar tho! 

Looking at photos of the '17, the crest does look smaller than the '15 so if I were to do a crest swap, I might be left with stitch holes. Need to wait until it comes in to compare in person. 

Edited by mdwsta4

2 minutes ago, AlereFlammam said:

Swapping crests is next to impossible. They are basically cemented onto the fabric. Goes with the shoulder/elbow crests as well

Are you just talking about EDGE jerseys? I've removed a crest from a CCM without issue.

I approve your want list D.

In regards to the multiple jersey thing.  Most I've done is had the collar replaced on one of my late 80's Leafs jerseys.  Cut the collar out of a cheap practice jersey and had a tailor swap them.

This reminds me of those Devils jerseys that were briefly sold in the 90's where one half was the red away and the other half was the home white.  I still see people wearing them at the arena once in a while.  I actually owned one of these at one point and when I sold it I couldn't respond quick enough to the offers.  Go figure.

2 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

This reminds me of those Devils jerseys that were briefly sold in the 90's where one half was the red away and the other half was the home white.  I still see people wearing them at the arena once in a while.  I actually owned one of these at one point and when I sold it I couldn't respond quick enough to the offers.  Go figure.

There was one on eBay a few days ago.  So weird.

eBay Link

13 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

There was one on eBay a few days ago.  So weird.

eBay Link

That may well be the guy that Devilsguy sold his to. He buys EVERYTHING Devils and is having a yard sale of sorts at the moment. 

51 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That may well be the guy that Devilsguy sold his to. He buys EVERYTHING Devils and is having a yard sale of sorts at the moment. 

I don't think it was him that I sold it to, but I have had stuff that I sold to others that made it's way to that seller eventually, so it could have been mine.  Those are those low-quality ultrafil-ish replicas from the 90's that run a bit on the small side.  I see Devils fans ask about it in FB groups and go nuts over them.  Never fully understood the appeal of them outside of I guess being an oddball or a conversation starter.  I sort of see the same thing but on a lighter scale with the Starter black fashion jerseys from the 90's.

EDITED

Edited by LessThanZero

17 hours ago, LessThanZero said:

Well, if the Bowl Movements ever had a home game WC they they'd wear red.

The rest has been covered.

Don't you mean Bowel movements? And isn't that the move the blues make every time they make the playoffs? 

8 hours ago, Jdems93 said:

Don't you mean Bowel movements? And isn't that the move the blues make every time they make the playoffs? 

EDITED: I've decided to play nice with others.

Edited by LessThanZero

Well I pulled the trigger on a '17 WC jersey. We'll see how I feel when it comes in and if I decide to Frankenstein the jerseys or not. If the crests are actually the same size I might look into just doing a crest swap. I'll also be bringing both to my tailor to get his thoughts on the job. If I end up doing the sleeve/hem swap I purchased a '15 WC patch so each shoulder will have a patch. 

Did a quick PS crest swap the other day and the jersey looks too good not to try 

WCConcept-vi.jpg

Edited by mdwsta4

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone is still following this thread..... I went through with it and I, personally, love the result! At the end of the day, that's all that matters. Now just debating on whether I should remove the '17 shoulder patch or sew on the '15 shoulder patch

DSCF90402-vi.jpg

29 minutes ago, DJ Rhea said:

I'd go patchless, since it wasn't worn in either game :P

Have you tried to remove a patch from a 2.0 jersey? Some people have already mentioned the crest is glued down pretty good compared to jerseys back in the day. And I know a handful of guys have at least discussed the Blues WC jersey since they're wearing it in regular play now and JB is only getting/selling the WC version and not the one with the 50th ann patch