Anyone else have "Reacquisition Syndrome"?

mfitz804

I find myself so bored looking for jerseys that I like, that often I wind up buying things I sold to other people that they decide to put back up for sale. I have at least 5 in my collection currently (those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head without looking), and I have another three that are "on their way home". 

I did the math on all of them (despite my rule of NEVER doing the math on ANYTHING jersey related), and between the 8, I didn't lose any money. It begs the question, if you're just gonna re-buy them, why the heck did you sell them in the first place. 

Answers vary between boredom, funding another purchase, and/or changing your mind about collecting a subset of jerseys. 

Anyone else engage in this kind of nonsense? 

For the limited amount of jerseys I've sold, once it's gone, it's gone.  There was a reason I sold it in the first place.  Could also be because my collection isn't as big.  I've had more regret over buying things than selling things.

1 hour ago, DJ Rhea said:

Nope, I'm not on drugs :P

However did sell a jersey back to the original seller.

I'm just high on the smell of fresh Ultrafil, my friend. 

I have had buyer's and seller's remorse before, but not at the level you are talking about.  I was able to get a Zelepukin gamer back after I traded it away after having it for only 17 days.  I also sold an Andreychuk gamer that I wish I had back even though I sold it for the price I paid.  Outside of that, I don't have much else I have remorse over to get back.

7 minutes ago, DJ Rhea said:

Tbf new edge 2.0 jersey is a nice smell, do you still get fresh smelling ultrafil, s***'s gotta be about 25 years old?

I've gotten some early 90's ultrafils that have never been worn. If it wasn't for the born-on sticker, you'd never know they were that old. They look brand new.

I have a hard time letting go of stuff, so by the time I decide to sell, I'm usually certain about it. I've had far more buyer's remorse than seller's.

43 minutes ago, DJ Rhea said:

Tbf new edge 2.0 jersey is a nice smell, do you still get fresh smelling ultrafil, s***'s gotta be about 25 years old?

Definitely still get fresh ones now and again. Even the old ones can smell pretty good, depending on who has been wearing them. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

No, once it goes, it's out of there. That said, there's a Wild Brodziak that I flipped (and was flipped again) that pangs me to not have. I know the collector loves that jersey too. Even if I lose money on it, I'm tempted to put an offer on it. 

Yup what a jerk :)

I rarely let stuff go and have never had the opportunity to reclaim the ones that got away.

I have so much stuff and keep seeing guys thinning out or changing the direction of their collection, I've held the course for the most part but it's getting outa hand.

I'm starting to believe what family has said, I'm a hoarder
Somebody please save me from myself    

I forgot I was part of that deal. I think I reacquired a jersey in that very deal, actually. 

EDIT: I think I almost reaquired a jersey but wound up with cash. 

Edited by mfitz804

30 minutes ago, LessThanZero said:

Sellers remorse.  

You and I are basically each other's crack dealers, in this respect. 

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

To dust off an old thread, I have decided to pull down two jerseys in the last two days from eBay. One is my very first custom job that I had done when I first entered the hobby and the other is just a newer jersey that I enjoy wearing. It hit me tonight that I simply move too many jerseys. 

Definitely a regret I have had and a move I have made. Different from the subject of this thread, though, as you didn't "reacquire" anything. 

Starting to feel the blues again for some jerseys I parted with over the past 2 years.  Especially a couple where I wish I didn't have to part with but had to in order to get jerseys I really wanted.  Now with my recent double-patched Parenteau acquisition (which is rare because Devils rarely do patches, let alone TWO at the same time), I miss the patched gamers I sold even more.  I can get a few back, but they are either 2-3 times more expensive than the gamers I parted with or they are the same price, but not quite as nice.

On 1/15/2017 at 0:39 PM, Dr_Puck said:

In some ways, I do think it was reacquiring the two that I had pulled. I'd had both on the market for a while and had taken care to not wear them even around the house. They sort of didn't exist in my collection until I went through my closet yesterday and thought to myself, 'I would actually pay for one of these.' Semantics aside ... it's an issue of avoiding re-acquisition syndrome. 

I segregate my jerseys for sale as well...I see where you are coming from, I guess its all part of the same disease. 

Guilty of this. I parted with a couple Bears jerseys over the summer because hockey wasn't on my mind and I figured I could easily replace them. I have no idea why I thought that because easily replacing a Bears specialty jersey doesn't exist. Managed to get 3/4 of them back somehow. The 4th one I didn't get back is okay because I was able to replace it with the current captain, so a win in my eyes. 

Side topic....maybe you guys could help. There's a guy on FB who messaged me after seeing my newly made Flickr album and wants one of my jerseys. Says it's his grail, which I can respect because he said he has been searching for it for 3 seasons now since they auctioned it off. It just so happens to be sitting in my closet. I absolutely love the style, but he's offering $1,000 for it right now. I'll come out ahead of the game and be able to hopefully win an Autism awareness jersey in March. My current Hershey collection stands at 28 gamers and they're all from the time I've started attending games in 14/15 until now, besides this one jersey he wants. So it's not technically in my collection range, but it's so nice. I'm thinking take the money and help this guy get something he really wants, with expected regret down the road on my part.

47 minutes ago, flyhighguys94 said:

Guilty of this. I parted with a couple Bears jerseys over the summer because hockey wasn't on my mind and I figured I could easily replace them. I have no idea why I thought that because easily replacing a Bears specialty jersey doesn't exist. Managed to get 3/4 of them back somehow. The 4th one I didn't get back is okay because I was able to replace it with the current captain, so a win in my eyes. 

Side topic....maybe you guys could help. There's a guy on FB who messaged me after seeing my newly made Flickr album and wants one of my jerseys. Says it's his grail, which I can respect because he said he has been searching for it for 3 seasons now since they auctioned it off. It just so happens to be sitting in my closet. I absolutely love the style, but he's offering $1,000 for it right now. I'll come out ahead of the game and be able to hopefully win an Autism awareness jersey in March. My current Hershey collection stands at 28 gamers and they're all from the time I've started attending games in 14/15 until now, besides this one jersey he wants. So it's not technically in my collection range, but it's so nice. I'm thinking take the money and help this guy get something he really wants, with expected regret down the road on my part.

It doesn't sound like you're very attached to it. Without knowing what you have in, I assume you're making enough profit at $1,000 to make it interesting to you. If you are not attached to it, and can use the funds elsewhere, maybe its worth it to you.

Of course, looking at your first paragraph, you also have to ask how impossible will it be to replace in the event you sell it and decide you can't live without that style?

On 1/20/2017 at 11:48 AM, mfitz804 said:

It doesn't sound like you're very attached to it. Without knowing what you have in, I assume you're making enough profit at $1,000 to make it interesting to you. If you are not attached to it, and can use the funds elsewhere, maybe its worth it to you.

Of course, looking at your first paragraph, you also have to ask how impossible will it be to replace in the event you sell it and decide you can't live without that style?

That's my hang up. I've never seen another one on the market lol. If I decide to part with it then that'll be it for sure. I think I'm okay with it. Going to continue thinking for a few days. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think what you have is "self reacquisition syndrome". There is definitely a joy that comes with taking a jersey down from sale and putting it back in the mix.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Dr_Puck said:

Because I'm the king of bumping old threads ... I just purchased a jersey I foolishly let go two years ago. I've been hounding the seller on Facebook for a while (who acquired it from a member here). We finally worked out a good price on the jersey to correct a mistake I made. Normally I don't get all sentimental about jerseys-- it's just clothing after all-- but I am positively stoked to get it.  

Out of curiosity, was it the one you sold me?

Oh wow, you wanted that jersey back almost immediately! I'm glad you were able to get it. 

If I recall correctly, I wound up taking cash considerations in that deal.  Originally I was to receive a jersey back that I had sold to AF,  but he later changed his mind and kept the Jersey, giving me cash instead. 

Bus, as I do, I did later rebuy that jersey from AF,  and even more as I do, I have sold it again.