*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I was going to say the same thing pretty much.

There is the conspiracy theory side of me that thinks this is a way for them to passively say they would buy it but at an even lower price.  You are already selling the jersey for below value, but like I have said many times before that people seem to want to "win" every deal.  I need to take the tinfoil hat off sometimes.

You're probably right, but if you are talking an Edge jersey, you are talking about $250 being the high end of the re-sale market for s customized authentic, maybe a couple dollars above. I've sold a number of them at $200-225, usually a retro or something with a special patch, but still. 

If someone wants it for less than that, they are quite literally assigning ZERO value to the fact that it was game worn, or they have no clue what jerseys sell for generally. 

I ended up trading it for a Hershey jersey after every time I bumped it and it somehow stayed at the top for more than 5 minutes someone would comment, "nice jersey at a great price, someone should scoop this up!" But b**** they aint, so buy it or kick rocks

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You're probably right, but if you are talking an Edge jersey, you are talking about $250 being the high end of the re-sale market for s customized authentic, maybe a couple dollars above. I've sold a number of them at $200-225, usually a retro or something with a special patch, but still. 

If someone wants it for less than that, they are quite literally assigning ZERO value to the fact that it was game worn, or they have no clue what jerseys sell for generally. 

They usually point out at what a great price it is, but then they follow it with the "I don't have the money for it" line right after.  That's what makes it odd and makes me put on my shiny hat.

11 minutes ago, flyhighguys94 said:

I ended  up trading it for a Hershey jersey after every time I bumped it and it somehow stayed at the top for more than 5 minutes someone would comment, "nice jersey at a great price, someone should scoop this up!" But b**** they aint, so buy it or kick rocks

Now there's a shocking turn of events!!

:)

Edited by mfitz804

I guess I usually read "Nice jersey. Wish I could afford it!" more charitably, as a complement.  Maybe I have too much faith in humanity.  I'd rather read those comments than b**** sessions about someone's asking price.  Even if it's true, it's rude to both the seller and the board.  Take it to PM or let the post die.

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

I guess I usually read "Nice jersey. Wish I could afford it!" more charitably, as a complement.  Maybe I have too much faith in humanity.  I'd rather read those comments than b**** sessions about someone's asking price.  Even if it's true, it's rude to both the seller and the board.  Take it to PM or let the post die.

That's a good point and definitely prefer that over the constant bitching and whining about prices instead of just scrolling by*.  I have also been on the unfortunate side where I post a jersey for sale right before someone posts one of these lower than market value jersey and my sale post gets lost because so many people are posting about how cheap the other one is. 

*Quick related story:  Someone had a jersey I was interested in a couple months back with no price listed.  I PM'd them and the asking price was $625.  I went back through my notes and some websites and saw that the twin (same year, same set, opposite color) was for sale about 6 years prior with an asking price of $169.  I know things can rise in price over the years so I countered with what I thought was a fair price (and higher than $169 of course), but he rejected the offer and we said our thanks to each other and parted ways.  Not a very interesting story but your comment reminded me of that.

7 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

The one thing we don't have is... Guam.

I miss my favorite misanthrope.

I think we all know where he is.

https://www.nhl.com/news/jaromir-jagr-fan-group-from-calgary-gaining-popularity/c-285862330?tid=281396148

Does anyone ever have an instance where they see a jersey they like in the FB groups and at a price you could swing, but don't pull the trigger because of what the seller looks like?  I am not saying or thinking about this from a aesthetic point of view, but when I see some of the sellers I genuinely have a worry that the jersey will arrive either smelling like cigarettes or will arrive in less than stellar or advertised condition.

I really hope I am not alone in this lol.

Edited by Devilsguy

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

Does anyone ever have an instance where they see a jersey they like in the FB groups and at a price you could swing, but don't pull the trigger because of what the seller looks like?  I am not saying or thinking about this from a aesthetic point of view, but when I see some of the sellers I genuinely have a worry that the jersey will arrive either smelling like cigarettes or will arrive in less than stellar or advertised condition.

I really hope I am not alone in this lol.

HAHAHAHAHA.....guilty. I've had these same thoughts multiple times. Or on other fan pages I'm a part of and people b**** about the Bears non stop but none of their words are spelled correctly. It's like, come on man, I see your face right there. You don't appear this stupid. 

Here's a thought that would blow everyone's minds with the overabused "mail day" posts...

what if if we all have the SAME mailman?

1 hour ago, thebiggoalie said:

Niemi posted again today?

price not lowered again today?

DEAL OF THE DAY AGAIN TODAY!!

WOOOOOOT!

The Zubrus he has is pretty much at Meigray's price at this point.  Zubrus is $450 on Meigray's website so at 40% off during the summer sale they are $270.

Problem is Zubrus jerseys are pretty much worthless these days.  I got a Zubrus from Meigray back when their sale was 50% off so I paid $225.  I sold it last year on eBay for $200 plus shipping.  That's pretty much what they are worth these days and a good "starter gamer" for people wanting to break into the hobby.

As I am semi new to the whole collection thing despite the fact I still have all my old jerseys from when I was a kid I have no clue what groups there are on facebook. Could someone point me to a few that you recommend.  

After about a week or so lull, the game worn FB groups are again getting hit by new posters posting non-game worn crap.

3 minutes ago, cjerina said:

Someone posts looking for "XYZ player", I post a link to a jersey of said player.

Out of nowhere, someone completely different messages me "wanna trade"... who are you and what are you looking for? Or just trying to horn in on the guy looking for "XYZ player"?

There are collectors who purchase jerseys that they don't care about but are pretty high up on a lot of people's want lists just so that they have them to trade with these people for jerseys that they really want.

3 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

There are collectors who purchase jerseys that they don't care about but are pretty high up on a lot of people's want lists just so that they have them to trade with these people for jerseys that they really want.

That's fair, but this isn't a popular player and my jersey has been one that's bounced around on the groups about 5 times in the past year. And I have no idea if that's even the jersey the guy was asking about trading for.

Is there a reason that potential buyers would rather just comment on your post an offer, rather than just politely send a PM? I'm all for negotiating, but why can't they understand that should be done privately?

Edited by thebiggoalie

7 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

Is there a reason that potential buyers would rather just comment on your post an offer, rather than just politely send a PM? I'm all for negotiating, but why can't they understand that should be done privately?

Most of those people either don't have FB messenger (it is a separate app now if you use FB via smartphone), or it is people who are just not FB savvy.  I usually tell them I will either PM them or they can PM me.