*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, furiousd said:

TBG, what financing options do you offer?

"I like your jersey, but unlike you, I have a mortgage/rent, car payment, cell phone bill, s***ty underpaying job, etc... So do you take a payment plan because I really want that thing I don't have the patience to save my own grown-man cash for."

1 hour ago, thebiggoalie said:

"I like your jersey, but unlike you, I have a mortgage/rent, car payment, cell phone bill, s***ty underpaying job, etc... So do you take a payment plan because I really want that thing I don't have the patience to save my own grown-man cash for."

I don't even get that excuse.  Usually it is because they are just either really cheap or don't have their act together.

I actually wouldn't totally dismiss the idea of doing payment plans, but not for a sub $1000 jersey.  I would also have to do a down payment of course.

It's also less irritating than when I used to sell replicas locally via FB where the potential buyers wanted to do a meetup for the transaction.  I would always tell them no as I had a variety of reasons.  The thing they mostly came back with is that they wanted to make sure the jersey fit.  I would tell them to look in their closet and the size they wear for shirts is pretty much the same size you would wear for a replica jersey and I am not a dressing room.

14 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I actually wouldn't totally dismiss the idea of doing payment plans, but not for a sub $1000 jersey.  I would also have to do a down payment of course.

I have done it on very rare occasions, where someone says they can give me, say, half now and pay the other half when they get paid. But not very often. 

Would you allow the person to cancel? If so, would you retain their down payment? 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have done it on very rare occasions, where someone says they can give me, say, half now and pay the other half when they get paid. But not very often. 

Would you allow the person to cancel? If so, would you retain their down payment? 

I would allow the person to cancel, but I would keep their down payment.  Eliminates the tire kickers right off the bat.

On replica jerseys that I sell (so like $75-150 range) I get requests to hold a jersey for a week or two until their next check comes in.  I tell people I usually do not hold jerseys and the first person to pay me in full gets it, but if it is something they really are dying to get then I would need a $20 non-refundable down payment and I will hold for 2 weeks.  $20 is enough so where I can hold it for two weeks and not feel like a sucker while being affordable to anyone who really wants it.  However, to this day I have not yet had anyone take me up on this offer, so it also serves its purpose of eliminating the tire kickers.

Very valid points. I think I would do it the same way. I may start asking for deposits to hold stuff, that's a good idea. 

I pay for most jerseys in installments. I don't like to pay for everything all at once, but that's just me. An extra $600+ is a lot in a pay period. Could I do it? Of course. I'd just rather not.   Always pay a non-refundable deposit though.

The flip side, I accept payment plans with a non-refundable deposit. Usually $50-100, depending on value. I recently had a guy that wanted to buy a jersey and put $50 down. He needed 4-5 weeks to come up with the rest. Long-story short, something came up and he couldn't finish paying. He was fine with me keeping the cash and I traded the jersey to someone else. s*** happens!

2 minutes ago, jokinen12 said:

I pay for most jerseys in installments. I don't like to pay for everything all at once, but that's just me. An extra $600+ is a lot in a pay period. Could I do it? Of course. I'd just rather not.   Always pay a non-refundable deposit though.

The flip side, I accept payment plans with a non-refundable deposit. Usually $50-100, depending on value. I recently had a guy that wanted to buy a jersey and put $50 down. He needed 4-5 weeks to come up with the rest. Long-story short, something came up and he couldn't finish paying. He was fine with me keeping the cash and I traded the jersey to someone else. s*** happens!

I use PayPal Credit for that reason, but the seller gets paid in full and I get the item right away. 6 months to pay, no down payment, monthly payments or interest.  Win-win. 

3 minutes ago, jokinen12 said:

Never even heard of that, will have to check it out

It's great. For non-eBay deals it requires the seller to issue you an invoice, and it can't be friends and family. I've asked a number of our members here to do it for me and they usually do. I always offer to add 4% for the fee, some sellers have declined that and done it for me anyway

Has to be over $99 to get the 6 month deal, which is easy with jerseys. As with any promo financing deal, if you don't pay by 6 months, you are responsible for interest from the start and there will be a monthly payment. I've yet to let any of mine go beyond 3 months, probably less. I lose track because by the time I pay something off, I've usually also purchased the next one. I just keep rotating through. You can see how long you have left on each purchase, but I've never come close so I have never bothered looking. 

Its definitely worth looking into, just have to remember to pay it off. 

1 hour ago, jokinen12 said:

Never even heard of that, will have to check it out

PayPal Credit is absolutely invaluable when it comes to jersey trading. I just wish that they offered longer financing terms for larger purchases. Buying a $600 jersey would be a lot more palatable if I had 12 months to pay it off.

I had someone message me about a jersey last month, gave me a $100 deposit, so I pulled the jersey, and he said he'd pay the rest in a month and if not I get to keep the $100. I'll take $100 to remove a listing for a month at the very least. If he pays, great, if not, I have more negotiating room to sell to the next guy.

10 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

PayPal Credit is absolutely invaluable when it comes to jersey trading. I just wish that they offered longer financing terms for larger purchases. Buying a $600 jersey would be a lot more palatable if I had 12 months to pay it off.

They used to has 12 months for $599+ and 18 months for $999+, but I haven't seen those offered in years. 

I only use it as a "placeholder" while I am selling stuff, which never takes me 6 months, so I don't worry about it. If I were going to straight up buy something and plan to pay it off in installments, then yes, longer financing would be great. 

Again:

"Anyone have any IHL (International Hockey League) jerseys for sale?  Looking for size 48, with the fight strap inside."

I only have one, but the fight strap is outside. 

I had someone really excited about my Zac Rinaldo Philadelphia Flyers game worn jersey. We agreed on a price and I agreed to hold it for 14 days while he was waiting for funds. Then a day later he says he cannot make the payments. Sometimes it doesn't work out. 

I've honestly done about 10 or so payment plans. I'm currently doing one for someone. I just request a non refundable deposit up front. Usually $50 or so and then they can pay it off as they want but. I've never had an issue with it because I won't take the jersey down until I get the $50. I've had a lot of people walk when they request a payment plan for a jersey and I tell them I want a deposit. Fine by me, saves me the hassle of dealing with them any further. But seriously, I've never done a payment plan for a jersey. If I can't afford it or can't sell something to cover it then I don't buy it. Plain and simple ( at least I feel that way, guess a lot of people don't ). 

17 hours ago, thebiggoalie said:

At least three times per week:

"how do you frame a jersey?"

Or "How do you store your jerseys."

I throw them on the floor where my dog makes a nice little bed out of the most valuable ones.

Good news: the Niemi jersey and several others are sold!

Bad news: spamming the group to sell the last two jerseys!!!

I sincerely hope that guy is done collecting after that.

3 minutes ago, amonte78 said:

Good news: the Niemi jersey and several others are sold!

Bad news: spamming the group to sell the last two jerseys!!!

I sincerely hope that guy is done collecting after that.

I wonder if the Niemi is someone's new "GRAIL". 

1 minute ago, thebiggoalie said:

I wonder if the Niemi is someone's new "GRAIL". 

Can't wait for the GRAIL DAY PREVIEW pics...