*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, flyhighguys94 said:

I changed my member title just for this joyous occasion!

<<<<<<<<<See?

Can't view it from the phone. 

On 4/27/2017 at 6:35 AM, thebiggoalie said:

I'm currently dealing with a very hostile, ignorant seller.

He has a jersey listed for X amount on Facebook, as well as the SAME EXACT price on eBay (you'd figure he would knock off at least 10% direct since it's just avoided eBay fees anyway, but he has no clue how eBay works thanks to his education)

The jersey has been available for the same price for well over one year. His most recent sale post is titled "Everything must go!" (You'd think that would warrant that he's open to offers) I contact him again and state I'm still interested in a jersey that nobody else has expressed interest in since day one. He asks "interested, or making an offer?"  So I go ahead and my exact words are "I can offer Y amount". Key word here is "offer". It's roughly 70% of his eBay (and for some stupid reason, his direct Facebook price). Rather than make a counter offer, he attacks me and says "your price is Z amount less than my price, and I paid $850 for it."

First of all, nobody in this world gives a $hit what you originally paid for a jersey when it comes time to sell it. Sick of asking sellers how much they want for something and their immediate response is what they paid. The difference between the first and secondary market are apples and oranges.

Second of all, you could make a counter offer. That's how negotiations begin. You even told me to make an offer. Don't like it, still want to move it, throw another number at me.

Instead, jersey of little interest to hundreds of other collectors will sit there another year because he won't negotiate, even though he asked me to make an offer, although "Everything must go!"  

Shine on, you crazy diamond. Shine on. 

I've gotten some rather obscene offers on eBay that make me want to track down the other person, slap them, and kick them square in the butt before rejecting the offer.

Things like $45 on something with a $375 BIN and several others of that style that sell for around the same.

11 hours ago, Nathan said:

I've gotten some rather obscene offers on eBay that make me want to track down the other person, slap them, and kick them square in the butt before rejecting the offer.

Things like $45 on something with a $375 BIN and several others of that style that sell for around the same.

That's why I love that auto-reject feature.

12 hours ago, Nathan said:

I mentioned this before but I once got $6 offer on an item I had $250 BIN price on.  His second offer was $12.  Is that a record?

And yes I am finally back.

47 minutes ago, JoeM7392 said:

I don't know. I think it is better to leave them hanging for 48 hours and just let the offer expire. That is far more frustrating than an immediate rejection.

34 minutes ago, lhg39 said:

I don't know. I think it is better to leave them hanging for 48 hours and just let the offer expire. That is far more frustrating than an immediate rejection.

Agreed, and even if it's rejected, I'd still like to be notified that an offer was actually made. That feature does not notify you if a potential buyer made an offer. 

2 hours ago, JoeM7392 said:

Never understand why people get upset by those offers when eBay gives you a tool so that you can completely ignore them. 

In fairness, I have submitted lowball offers that were accepted immediately, one having been a $200 its, that I offered $50 on. You never know what people will accept until you offer. 

If they properly use the auto-reject, then you know immediately. 

It's like asking out a hot chick.
Ya never know if she keeps getting passed over and is willing to accept any offer.
(Also known as the Gretzky rule) 

I've had sellers accept low ball offers but that's after I checked out their other items for sale. Typically someone selling used jeans and old clothing doesn't know what to value a jersey at and they just post it with a steep starting price to see what's out there.

At the very least, an offer by one person might make another person think they have to make a more aggressive offer if they're interested unless they're willing to lose the item.

1 hour ago, Hockey Bob said:

I've had sellers accept low ball offers but that's after I checked out their other items for sale. Typically someone selling used jeans and old clothing doesn't know what to value a jersey at and they just post it with a steep starting price to see what's out there.

How long the item has been listed without selling could be a factor as well. Some people get frustrated and when an offer "finally" comes in, they jump on it. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Never understand why people get upset by those offers when eBay gives you a tool so that you can completely ignore them. 

In fairness, I have submitted lowball offers that were accepted immediately, one having been a $200 its, that I offered $50 on. You never know what people will accept until you offer. 

If they properly use the auto-reject, then you know immediately. 

In the auto-reject feature, can you see who made the offer and for how much?

If not, then I would like to keep the auto-reject feature off.  I want to see which buyers are more serious about making a deal and those who are offering 1/10th or less of what you are asking on the item.  I like to add those people in the latter category to my growing list of blocked bidders

Edited by Devilsguy

16 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

In the auto-reject feature, can you see who made the offer and for how much?

If not, then I would like to keep the auto-reject feature off.  I want to see which buyers are more serious about making a deal and those who are offering 1/10th or less of what you are asking on the item.  I like to add those people in the latter category to my growing list of blocked bidders

You can see them if you go into the offers section manually. You will not be sent any notifications, either if the offer being made or if it being auto rejected. 

If you were inclined to block someone for that, you could. I personally wouldn't, it's no harm, no foul as far as I'm concerned. I save blocking people for actual offenses, not something that is squarely within the rules. 

"You know that feeling when you don't have funds, but you are itching to add something to your collection and you know your credit card is connected to your PayPal account? ???"

No. nobody else in this hobby has ever felt like that before, EVER. You are a true philosopher, and we all feel for you. 

31 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

"You know that feeling when you don't have funds, but you are itching to add something to your collection and you know your credit card is connected to your PayPal account? ???"

No. nobody else in this hobby has ever felt like that before, EVER. You are a true philosopher, and we all feel for you. 

Did this Saturday.  Now the fun part is trying to figure out the jersey I purchased!

Edited by spudrock512

30 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

?‍♂️

1 hour ago, thebiggoalie said:

That's why I'm going to start a GoFundMe page.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

You can see them if you go into the offers section manually. You will not be sent any notifications, either if the offer being made or if it being auto rejected. 

If you were inclined to block someone for that, you could. I personally wouldn't, it's no harm, no foul as far as I'm concerned. I save blocking people for actual offenses, not something that is squarely within the rules. 

That's what I figured.

If I have a jersey for $250 BIN or best offer and I get an offer of $100, while pretty low that is at least a starting point.  However, when I get an initial offer of $6 and then a second offer of $12 from the same person, yeah I don't want to deal with him/her dicking me around and would rather block someone.  Also to be fully honest I do not get this a lot, but I like to know.  I block maybe 1-3 people a year for this.

37 minutes ago, DJ Rhea said:

GRAIL DAY SOON!!!

Well DJ Rhea has just made a purchase

I'll let you know when it leaves the seller

"Grail Day Soon!"

"Grail Day next week!"

"Grail Day in 3 Days!"

"Tomorrow is Grail Day!"

"Grail Day!"

"$500 for one of my Grails as another grail has come up for sale"

35 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

That's what I figured.

If I have a jersey for $250 BIN or best offer and I get an offer of $100, while pretty low that is at least a starting point.  However, when I get an initial offer of $6 and then a second offer of $12 from the same person, yeah I don't want to deal with him/her dicking me around and would rather block someone.  Also to be fully honest I do not get this a lot, but I like to know.  I block maybe 1-3 people a year for this.

If you have auto reject set, it won't bother you at all. 

1 hour ago, DJ Rhea said:

GRAIL DAY SOON!!!

Well DJ Rhea has just made a purchase

I'll let you know when it leaves the seller

Komarov gamer?