*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

1 minute ago, Dr_Puck said:

I must have some of these people blocked but I have noticed it in spots. Heck, I agree with that idea to an extent. Also think it's the problem of decency, follow up and courtesy, but that's not a jersey-specific problem. 

It was in a post related to where someone was selling an item and their asking price was significantly higher than what the seller recently paid for it.

Yeah the follow up and courtesy is an issue.  I can't begin to count the number of times people ask me all sorts of questions about an item I am selling only to disappear and never receive a thanks or anything.  I think that is more societal than specific to the hobby.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

So I see more and more posts in the groups along the lines of "Greed is killing this hobby."  Are others feeling the same way too?

TBH I wish there was more greed in this hobby as it would make some of my sales quicker lol.

I think in this context, "greed" translates to I want things but i want them for less than people are willing to sell them for. 

I do too. I'd love to buy a brand new car for $5,000. I'm not going to b**** and complain about the fact that I can't. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think in this context, "greed" translates to I want things but i want them for less than people are willing to sell them for. 

I do too. I'd love to buy a brand new car for $5,000. I'm not going to b**** and complain about the fact that I can't. 

Yup agree.

While sometimes annoying, I don't have any particular hatred towards flippers.  I mean I do it too and I think a lot of collectors do it as well (even the ones who say they don't often do).

19 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Yup agree.

While sometimes annoying, I don't have any particular hatred towards flippers.  I mean I do it too and I think a lot of collectors do it as well (even the ones who say they don't often do).

i just sold a jersey to a flipper yesterday.

I stripped a jersey to change the player. I bought a replica jersey ($25 +ship), NHL2000 and 2000 SCF patches ($17), had a buddy sew everything on (free because buddies are awesome), and then I priced it at $139.99 o/b/o and sold it within hours for $120. Buyer has 3 similar jerseys up on eBay for $179.99, he has had them up for that price for a long time and has not sold them. He's obviously flipping. 

Even after shipping it back/forth for the sewing, I made $55 profit sitting on my butt. If he wants to try to make an additional profit sitting on his butt, I am ok with that. I made nearly enough profit to cover the cost of re-doing the initial jersey I stripped, which to me is a perfect resolution. 

I was going to say "which to me is a happy ending", but I laughed after typing it and changed it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a new one: some dude off of Facebook wants me to do a deal with him (I am the seller) and wants to do it this weekend at a parade to do the deal.

1 minute ago, Devilsguy said:

Here is a new one: some dude off of Facebook wants me to do a deal with him (I am the seller) and wants to do it this weekend at a parade to do the deal.

Well, everyone loves a parade...

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Well, everyone loves a parade...

Lol true.  He says he likes to see any item before he purchases it.  I guess he has never bought anything online through Amazon, eBay, etc.

4 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Lol true.  He says he likes to see any item before he purchases it.  I guess he has never bought anything online through Amazon, eBay, etc.

Seriously. It’s 2018, who buys stuff online?

Oh, everyone. 

4 minutes ago, LetsGoHomeBaby said:

One of my teammates last night "Who stil uses Ebay?"

It’s like Tinder, but a lot less trips to the doctor. 

21 hours ago, thebiggoalie said:

It’s like Tinder, but a lot less trips to the doctor. 

^Was my best friend in Florida last week. Except flying into Newark was my trip to the doctor

Edited by LetsGoHomeBaby

Believe it or not I actually agreed to meet him.  However since I sent that message he has read it and has not replied.  Why am I not surprised?

As an update, the guy who wanted to meet at a parade never replied so there goes that.  I was able to sell the item to a guy who was fine with me shipping it and didn't insist on me meeting him at a parade or an airshow or waterpark.

"I will do either trades or cash.  If cash, I will not take $200 or less"

-Post in $200 or less game worn jerseys group

I'm going to flip a recent auction acquisition and comment how it previously sold on auction for $7800! I'm also going to prevent anyone from commenting about it because I paid significantly less than that in the recent auction... oh, someone commented before i could disable comments? I better delete my post.

Ross is a tool, don't be like Ross. (That Ross, not the one from here ;) )

Guest Dr_Puck

You know what's really, really hard? Taking overhead photos of your jersey that actually show the jersey right side up and aren't ridiculously cropped. 

I've heard knockoffs called china, unofficial, wholesale, etc before.  However someone in one of the Devils FB fan groups just called them "recreation jerseys."

That's definitely a new one lol.

6 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I've heard knockoffs called china, unofficial, wholesale, etc before.  However someone in one of the Devils FB fan groups just called them "recreation jerseys."

That's definitely a new one lol.

Some noob started that here a year or two ago with a Wild-wing Jersey. He really believed himself too.