*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gimp: I have been looking for a certain Hartford Whalers jersey for over 20 years.

Normal Person: The jersey popped up at auction not long back, went for $1000

Gimp: Yeah if it was $700 I'd of gone for it

Normal Person, well if you have been searching for 20+ years a few hundred dollars shouldn't make a difference.

39 minutes ago, DJ Rhea said:

Gimp: I have been looking for a certain Hartford Whalers jersey for over 20 years.

Normal Person: The jersey popped up at auction not long back, went for $1000

Gimp: Yeah if it was $700 I'd of gone for it

Normal Person, well if you have been searching for 20+ years a few hundred dollars shouldn't make a difference.

I saw that too. 20 year search for most wanted item, but $300 is the difference maker. Lol. Ridiculous.  

I saw that and often thought about what happens if I'm in a situation like that.

In the end I decided that if it's something that is on that level I don't care if I have to live on tap water and ramen noodle for months, I'm getting that jersey

Has anyone noticed an uptick in the last week or two of non-game worn crap like replica jerseys and autographs being posted in the game worn groups?  It's not just one group but several this is happening to.

12 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Absolutely, this is happening across almost all of the groups. The mods need to... mod.

In one of them the guy said something along the lines of "not all of us are as fortunate enough to have the money to spend on gamers, so how about other non-game worn memorabilia?".....in a group devoted to specifically game worn items......

31 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

In one of them the guy said something along the lines of "not all of us are as fortunate enough to have the money to spend on gamers, so how about other non-game worn memorabilia?".....in a group devoted to specifically game worn items......

Unrelated "poor me" bump!

I know this has existed far longer than any of the FB groups (or FB for that matter), but this one still gets me.

Prospective buyer: "Hey I am interested in your jersey.  Can you provide more pictures and details of the items?"

Me: "Sure thing!" *Provides additional pictures of all of the wear/details and writes out a summary of everything*

*Prospective buyer falls off the face of the Earth and never says thank you or anything even though you see they read/saw what you provided*

Dear Journal, it's been nine days since I last heard from seller. After telling me that jersey is still available, they've read every question I asked them but never answer.  I'm starting to believe that Facebook is a desolate wasteland of white lies and broken dreams. 

"Colton Orr game worn jersey with C.O.A. from Real Sports Apparel. My guess is that at some point he will be inducted into the Hall of Fame and this jersey will be worth some serious bank. $1000 shipping included to the U.S. or Canada only."

-I swear, Facebook has been more entertaining today than cable TV. 

10 hours ago, furiousd said:

Ouch, now I know who Jake Marty is. Geez that was a brutal thread.

I saw that thread too and it was both brutal and entertaining.

Some people on that thread called him a scammer which I do not agree with.  I do not think he is out to scam anyone or trying to do anything maliciously on purpose.  It seems like a lot of newer collectors want to dive head-first into the hobby without taking time to really pace themselves, find their niche and make sure they at least interact tactfully.  I think it is a generational thing as this has happened with newer collectors before who are in his age bracket (early to mid 20's) where they want everything now and are having a hard time to take a minute and really survey the landscape and make sure they have their ducks in a line before moving onwards.

It is annoying to get people like him messaging me every time I post something for sale where I specifically say "no trades" in the listing and I get a trade offer and things like that need to stop.  But I don't think going so far as to call him a scammer was needed (which is another accusation that gets thrown around those groups a little too readily these days).

On 11-1-2017 at 9:42 PM, cjerina said:

Ooops, something went wrong, please delete mods

Edited by amonte78

2 hours ago, Hollywood Cannon said:

"Pre-mail day" Post of tracking info saying Out For Delivery.

That post was to tick off another user who (rightfully) criticized those sneak mail day previews.

6 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

I'll take it when it drops to under $300. 

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw it AGAIN today :D

3 hours ago, Hollywood Cannon said:

"Pre-mail day" Post of tracking info saying Out For Delivery.

Another person did it today as well.

The GW jersey hobby really needs to go back to forums.

2 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Another person did it today as well.

"Grail Bump day" 

13 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Facebook is so ill-suited for this type of activity.  I almost had a stroke this weekend trying to cross-reference the USNTDP jersey post with the rosters on the team site.  The FB tab kept reloading and taking me back to the top, so I could scroll through 30 pics with 40 comments showing for each, all over again.