*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Exactly. Unless you are going to give me a mail day that turns into a grail day, I am skipping that post. 

lol he should give everyone who figures out what is actually for sale $25 off asking price.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bi-weely "how do you guys display your jerseys" thread is alive and kicking.

2 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

The bi-weely "how do you guys display your jerseys" thread is alive and kicking.

Agreed. You posted it before I could. 

Im also tired of one particular seller posting a Slap Shot cartoon pic with every jersey he has for sale. It's eaten up my feed for the past three days. 

2 hours ago, thebiggoalie said:

Agreed. You posted it before I could. 

Im also tired of one particular seller posting a Slap Shot cartoon pic with every jersey he has for sale. It's eaten up my feed for the past three days. 

Is he a dealer or just a collector with that cartoon?  I have been seeing that a bit and he has a nice Trenton Devils gamer up for sale that I am somewhat tempted by.

4 minutes ago, DJ Rhea said:

I don't know which one of my s*** jerseys is game worn, I'm sure one of them is, so I'll just dump them all in the game worn group.

lol saw that one too.

What's funny is that he had 2 River Rats jerseys in there that appear to be gamers.  The funny part is that I was just telling a buddy of mine who is a fellow collector how Albany River Rats jerseys (Devils era) seemed to have dried up a bit in the last 2-3 months.  Now I see 3 new ones in the last 24 hours (his two and another collector with 1 today).

"I know this isn't related to game worn jerseys but is anyone into buying and trading comic books?"

Also the perennial "I hate these buyer's premiums on these auctions!" thread has been resurrected.  Will see another one when Classic closes in a week or so.

Stupid question, but how do the buyer premiums work? I've never purchased anything through these auctions and I have my eye on a few things in the current ones.

Gotcha. Figured it was something like that, and I just found it buried in the FAQ section of the site.

Pretty much every single auction house/website not named eBay charges some sort of Buyer's Premium.  Every single time Classic or GW runs their auctions a thread always pop up with people moaning about the 19.5% fee.  The websites are pretty upfront with the fee and these people also forget that the sellers get hit with a % fee and a flat "listing" fee as well.  Plus the 19.5% buyer's premium is roughly in-line with most other auction houses as well, so it's not like they are trying to really gouge you.

Yeah, understood. No complaints, just heard about it before but never bothered to see what it was. Figured I'd better figure it out before bidding on stuff.

Not a dumb question, more of a boneheaded idea that leads to a ruined jersey.

biggest failure is a Starter authentic Hartford Whalers home white. After searching for about two years, found a gorgeous size 60, put a good Stahls kit on it with #97 "Farewell" as name and number, then regretted the kit about a year or two later when I realized that it was kinda sacrilege. So, I stripped it, only to find permanent green color transfer on the jersey that no amount of goof-off and various chemicals would remove. It would have been one of my favorites, had I not royally screwed the pooch on it.

"Mail day, or rather GRAIL DAY: Because everyone finds my attachment to George Parros so amazing, here are his game used gloves, skates, and helmet spread out over as many posts as possible, but only because this is a GRAIL!"

Bump for my $700 2.0 Hawks non-gamer hockey-fights-cancer jersey that JB sells for almost half the price. 

4 hours ago, thebiggoalie said:

Bump for my $700 2.0 Hawks non-gamer hockey-fights-cancer jersey that JB sells for almost half the price. 

YU think he's asking too much? 

?

On 2/27/2017 at 11:53 AM, Devilsguy said:

Pretty much every single auction house/website not named eBay charges some sort of Buyer's Premium.  Every single time Classic or GW runs their auctions a thread always pop up with people moaning about the 19.5% fee.  The websites are pretty upfront with the fee and these people also forget that the sellers get hit with a % fee and a flat "listing" fee as well.  Plus the 19.5% buyer's premium is roughly in-line with most other auction houses as well, so it's not like they are trying to really gouge you.

I can understand Classic, Leleands, Heritage, etc... charging fees. They have an entire business to run  and employees and benefits to pay. The gameworn guys run their auction out of their house with minimal overhead. The fact that they charge the same fees as major auction houses is ridiculous, but they do it because people keep flocking to them and they get away with it. It is absolutely crazy that Steiner charges buyers premiums on their auctions where they are selling their own stuff! Meigray has it right, as do NHL and MLB auctions.

14 hours ago, thebiggoalie said:

For that price, that jersey better have single handedly faught, killed and buried cancer itself. 

3 hours ago, lhg39 said:

I can understand Classic, Leleands, Heritage, etc... charging fees. They have an entire business to run  and employees and benefits to pay. The gameworn guys run their auction out of their house with minimal overhead. The fact that they charge the same fees as major auction houses is ridiculous, but they do it because people keep flocking to them and they get away with it. It is absolutely crazy that Steiner charges buyers premiums on their auctions where they are selling their own stuff! Meigray has it right, as do NHL and MLB auctions.

People make that claim against GW Auctions (and it's an accurate claim) all the time.  They often then usually follow it up with "I will never buy from them (again)."  Lo and behold in the next auction pops up their grail.  Now what?  9 times out of 10 those "never buy again" statements go right out the window and GW Auctions wins again.

These auction houses know they have collectors by the balls as most game worn collectors act like addicts.  I can understand why NHL and MLB auctions don't do it but for Meigray not to have a premium is a small miracle.

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

People make that claim against GW Auctions (and it's an accurate claim) all the time.  They often then usually follow it up with "I will never buy from them (again)."  Lo and behold in the next auction pops up their grail.  Now what?  9 times out of 10 those "never buy again" statements go right out the window and GW Auctions wins again.

These auction houses know they have collectors by the balls as most game worn collectors act like addicts.  I can understand why NHL and MLB auctions don't do it but for Meigray not to have a premium is a small miracle.

I still think it's greedy of these auction houses to charge both buyers and sellers.  When you sell your house, you pay a commission to the realtor.  The buyer pays nothing.  The onus of the sale advertisement is on the seller/consignor.  You are paying a fee for your merchandise to reach the eyes (and wallets) of millions of people (MFitz says this all the time about eBay).  It's wrong (IMO) to make money off of both parties.  I can't think of another system in which it works this way. 

Will it stop me from buying from these places? Probably not.  Will I continue to complain about it? Absolutely.  Maybe if the fee were less (5%) I wouldn't care as much. But 19.5%? Come on.

Btw, I have it on good authority that MGG never plans to charge a buyer's premium for their auctions.  And, they will probably do consignment auctions sometime in the future, FWIW.