*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

1 minute ago, Dr_Puck said:

More of a broader negotiating issue rather than a Facebook complaint: Adding shipping costs to a listed sale price. I see a lot of 'buyer pays for shipping' and I don't get it. Why not build in shipping to the original price? It simplifies the process and avoids extra haggling with buyers.

Only reason I can see this is because of different costs to ship to different countries. I've come to the point where when I'm not using ebay, I tell the buyer if they're paying for shipping they can pick how they want it shipped, how they want the customs form filled out to avoid fees, insurance or not (so long as they realize if they opt not to take it I'm not responsible for anything that happens), and then I go from there.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, CJ Matthews said:

Only reason I can see this is because of different costs to ship to different countries. I've come to the point where when I'm not using ebay, I tell the buyer if they're paying for shipping they can pick how they want it shipped, how they want the customs form filled out to avoid fees, insurance or not (so long as they realize if they opt not to take it I'm not responsible for anything that happens), and then I go from there.

Good call on making the buyer pick the shipping method. 

It's a lot harder to do a buyer selects thing when you're on ebay, but I don't offer international shipping on ebay so I basically set a flat price and if some are under, some are over, I figure it evens out eventually. Off of ebay, you can afford to offer more options and sometimes that helps you make a sale, and gets you off the hook if there's an issue too because the buyer picked it.

On eBay I usually weigh the item and do calculated shipping to US and Canada, Global Shipping Program everywhere else. Although I'm starting to think that building flat rate shipping into my price and then giving free shipping would be better as it gives the buyer a sense that they're getting a "deal". 

5 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

On eBay I usually weigh the item and do calculated shipping to US and Canada, Global Shipping Program everywhere else. Although I'm starting to think that building flat rate shipping into my price and then giving free shipping would be better as it gives the buyer a sense that they're getting a "deal". 

Yeah I go back and forth on that. But I also know that most people buying my Devils jerseys are local. That means the shipping cost is less. If I have to figure in a flat rate, it has to be the most possible, which raises the item price for those local buyers. 

Also, I find a lot of people overlook the shipping at first, they get excited about the item and when they realize they have to pay the shipping, they already want the item and they don't care.

On this board, I always do a price with shipping included. But I don't really add to my price for it, I just pick a fair price and go with that. I do ask international people to add a little. 

I rarely ship to Canada and I never ship to Europe.  Shipping to Europe creates all sorts of problems and I do not want someone to post about me on the Bad seller/trader group because their country's postal system is somehow worse than the US. 

I have shipped to Europe, but I don't prefer it. Shipping to Canada is no issue and I do that all the time, mostly to board members. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I have shipped to Europe, but I don't prefer it. Shipping to Canada is no issue and I do that all the time, mostly to board members. 

Fully understand if somebody has concerns shipping to Europe, but for my part I never had any problems sending to the US & Canada and receiving stuff from there (estimated 50 jerseys). 

And at least our German DHL does a pretty good job. 

Thanks god there's a solid amount of people who don't mind shipping over the big pond because otherwise it would be pretty hard to spend the money! :)

Edited by Pens4ever

I definitely do it, I just don't seek it out. It does sometimes take a really long time and I have had numerous buyers cause me problems on that basis, even though I did my part on the same day they paid. 

1 hour ago, Pens4ever said:

Fully understand if somebody has concerns shipping to Europe, but for my part I never had any problems sending to the US & Canada and receiving stuff from there (estimated 50 jerseys). 

And at least our German DHL does a pretty good job. 

Thanks god there's a solid amount of people who don't mind shipping over the big pond because otherwise it would be pretty hard to spend the money! :)

Western Europe is not too bad, but still is pricey and often the buyers there scoff when I ask them to pony up the extra $ to ship.  The former Eastern Bloc is another story however....

I haven't seen this thread yet and am only on page 1 but this is hysterical. I look at the facebook groups almost every single day and it is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Some of those "collectors" are the most simple minded folk I have come across. The whole "grail day!!" and then it is for sale a week later is the most infuriating thing ever...this is coming from a guy who has bought and sold my new "focus" a hundred times. I just never post "grail days" and then resell them. I do it in my own quiet misery. 

Buyer: "Sorry I have to back out of this deal.  Just realized that I cannot afford this jersey at this time.  Thanks though"

Me: "That's fine and thanks for letting me know."

*2 Days later I see a posting of another jersey for sale by a seller who is asking $100 more than what I was selling mine for*

Buyer: "Hey, I am interested!  PM Sent!"

"Mail Day!  I am only going to post pics of the box for now and create a separate post on what is inside"

24 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

"Mail Day!  I am only going to post pics of the box for now and create a separate post on what is inside"

To be fair, he added photos to that same post, not a separate one.

Man you guys are brutal, lol

8 minutes ago, dsl135 said:

To be fair, he added photos to that same post, not a separate one.

Man you guys are brutal, lol

He created 3 separate postings for what was inside of the box just within the last 30-45 minutes.  Four separate postings for his mail day.

Edit: And in his first post with the box, he only did close ups of each jersey so you could tell what team they were, but that's it.

Edited by Devilsguy

37 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

He created 3 separate postings for what was inside of the box just within the last 30-45 minutes.  Four separate postings for his mail day.

Edit: And in his first post with the box, he only did close ups of each jersey so you could tell what team they were, but that's it.

I see that now. I saw he had added photos to that first original post so I thought he had added all of the photos to one post and didn't notice the other separate posts.

Edited by dsl135

2 minutes ago, dsl135 said:

I see that now. I saw he had added the photos to that first original post so I didn't notice the other separate posts.

On forums doing that is not a big deal at all, but on Facebook and how that feed is it just clutters it even more than it already is.

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

^This. 

Just shut up already about your need for constant attention.