NHL jersey Patch customization

Sushiroll40

Hey all,

Are commemorative patches done by the team customizers or by the teams equipment staff? I'm specifically interested in adding the Sharks 25 year patch to my Hertl Jersey I just got done by action spot. Looks as though the NHL centenniel patches are sticking around the rest of the season from what I've seen and I opted to not get front numbers on my jersey to match this years kits, but now that's only really relevant for a 3 month window now that the centennial patch has been added to the sleeve. I'd prefer the Sharks 25th over adding a centenniel to make it as authentic as can be, but enough rambling. Just wondering if I should be sending it back to action spot for the most accurate patch application. 

Just look up pictures of the placement, and glue/iron it on. Then anyone with any semblance of knowledge of a sewing machine can give you as much accuracy as any customizer will. Save your money and don't send it back to them for a patch.

2 hours ago, JoeM7392 said:

Just look up pictures of the placement, and glue/iron it on. Then anyone with any semblance of knowledge of a sewing machine can give you as much accuracy as any customizer will. Save your money and don't send it back to them for a patch.

Yup. Around here, any tailor could sew down a patch with a zigzag stitch if you ask them to, the issue is always going to be placement. If you place it yourself, no more issue. 

On 1/5/2017 at 5:08 PM, mfitz804 said:

Patch Collection's are authentics? I had no idea.

Depends on what you mean by "authentic."  Patch Collection sells a lot of recently-issued patches that are made by National Emblem (with appropriate packaging), so they are officially-licensed, and legit.  But they also sell older patches which have been reissued by NE, like the Stanley Cup 100th or NHL 75th- these are obviously new reproductions and not originals from the period, but since they are made by the officially-licensed manufacturer of NHL patches, they are legit, but would you consider these "authentic" if they are not originals?

Patch Collection used to sell some repros that were not officially-licensed; I certainly wouldn't call those authentic.  But I'm not sure if they recently removed them all from their catalog.

Well, not necessarily- it all depends on your level of pickiness.  If you look at the National Emblem version of the 2003 SCF patch and can't see any differences worth noting from a gameworn patch, then you need to decide if the NE patch is good enough for your purposes.  I can see a few small differences, but as particular as I am, I might not have any problem using the NE version on an authentic jersey- it's not like it's terrible or anything.  In fact, I did exactly that with a Wings authentic and a NE 2002 SCF patch, and I can live with it.  Otherwise I could have waited 5 years before finding an original, or maybe I never would have found one.  I didn't think it was worth it to wait.  Besides, if one day I ever find one, there's nothing to stop me from replacing the first patch I put on.

22 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

In fact, I did exactly that with a Wings authentic and a NE 2002 SCF patch, and I can live with it.  Otherwise I could have waited 5 years before finding an original, or maybe I never would have found one.  I didn't think it was worth it to wait.  Besides, if one day I ever find one, there's nothing to stop me from replacing the first patch I put on.

That's become my approach, too. If a repro is close enough in my eyes, I'll put it on. If an original pops up later, bonus.

Generally, you subtract 4 from your Edge size to get the equivalent in your 6100 (CCM/Koho/Reebok pre-Edge) size, so 52 would be the closest.  Because the 2 jerseys are cut differently, they may not fit exactly the same way, but this sizing rule seems to work for most people.

3 hours ago, LAK74 said:

Generally, you subtract 4 from your Edge size to get the equivalent in your 6100 (CCM/Koho/Reebok pre-Edge) size, so 52 would be the closest.  Because the 2 jerseys are cut differently, they may not fit exactly the same way, but this sizing rule seems to work for most people.

Awesome thanks!! I might post some pictures later to get opinions on it's authenticity. It's from s guy on instagram who sells a lot of vintage sharks gear.

I don't ever recall seeing a fake Koho, so chances are it's legit.  But feel free to post anyway; we like that kind of thing, lol.

On 1/15/2017 at 9:46 AM, LAK74 said:

I don't ever recall seeing a fake Koho, so chances are it's legit.  But feel free to post anyway; we like that kind of thing, lol.

The guy sent me a picture of this teal one he has. Still waiting on the pictures of the black one which is the one I'm interested in but I noticed the NHL shield is going down instead of up how it should be 

On Kohos the letters on the shield should be slanted downward.

That jersey is good.  The NHL letters didn't slant upwards until Reebok took over in 2005/06.