Patch Position Pet Peeve

Chazberg

Something that has bugged the hell out of me ever since the league adopted the Edge jersey is the positioning of patches on the chest. This goes for both captaincy patches and anniversary/special occasion patches. Since the Edge templates all have extra seams on the side of the chest near the armpits, teams have for some reason avoided sewing patches over the seams, which forces them to cram the patches in closer to the center of the jersey, usually riding right on top of the crest. Needless to say, this looks like absolute crap. 

My question is, why can't teams simply sew the patches over the seams? Numbers routinely get sewn down over the fight strap, so I know it's not that difficult. In the NFL the front and back numbers both overlap the boxy seams of the Nike Pro Combat template. So what gives? It seems like good design principles have gone out the window in favor of being slaves to the template. 

Here's a quick mockup example:

sens-patch-1.jpg

Edited by Chazberg

Yeah it is really annoying.  Devils use large letters for their Alternate Captain and Captain designation and thus many are practically centered over the middle of the horns on the logo.

The seams seem to be the issue, but what I find interesting is that on my McMullen Night game worn the 100 year patch is partially sewn over a seam on the arm above the arm stripes.  Therefore it is possible to do it, but I think for a lot of customizers it is simply too much of a pain to stitch over the seam.

I hadn't even paid attention to that "problem," but maybe it's because I collect mostly Kings' gamers.  Bobcat has routinely stitched the C's, A's and SCF patches right over the front seams.  And since they don't use nameplates, the individual letters are stitched directly over the seams on the back as well.  They don't seem to have any problem with it.

4 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

I hadn't even paid attention to that "problem," but maybe it's because I collect mostly Kings' gamers.  Bobcat has routinely stitched the C's, A's and SCF patches right over the front seams.  And since they don't use nameplates, the individual letters are stitched directly over the seams on the back as well.  They don't seem to have any problem with it.

Wow, good call. This just shows how BS of a problem it is when some teams don't have any trouble getting it right. Another example of seams clearly no being a big deal is the previous Blues style, where captaincy patches actually overlapped the striping.

I don't imagine team customizers generally pay all that much attention to the exact placement of these things; as seen above with the Flyers pics, the position may just vary depending on which person put them on.  With the Kings, there seems to be a remarkably consistent placement though, but I'm sure it's because it's always the same guy who places and presses those patches on the jerseys.

1 minute ago, DJ Rhea said:

Bet that is a headache for people who need on ice authenticity :P

As a gamer collector, I have seen inconsistent patch placements, nameplates sewn on crooked and jerseys recycled with materials used in years that the rest of the team is not wearing.  That's why I tell authentic collectors to not get too bent out of shape over 100% on-ice authenticity (but can appreciate the effort towards it, of course).