Proper number style question

On some teams' jerseys, EPS has been doing the perforations on the numbers, but with fewer rows than what the gamers have.  One missing row of perforations is hardly noticeable on the back numbers, but on the small sleeve numbers it's more apparent.  If this matters to you, you might want to mention the correct number of rows to EPS.  They know there are inaccuracies in their hole patterns, but if you don't say anything, they probably won't do anything to correct it for any particular team.  

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Energy Legs said:

I want to double check what specific instructions I need to give EPS for customizing a blue Finland 2016 WCoH jersey. I think the numbers should be single-layer twill with laser-cut perforations (or is there a better name for those tiny holes?). The nameplates look like the same material as the back (stretch mesh?).

Any corrections, or anything else I need to specify? Thanks.

EPS offers two styles of customization for the World Cup jerseys, replica style with the sublimated dots (I think $65)  and pro style with the actual perforations (I think $85). If you tell them Pro style with real perforations you should be fine. 

I know some who sent theirs in were disappointed with the number of perforations they used (like LAK said), if it's important to you, get a photo and provide it for reference. 

Edited by mfitz804

• 6 months later...

Hey, all:
I'm preparing to do my first order with EPS but, like others in past posts, would like ensure I nail the specs. It's not enough to tell them "to on-ice specs," right? I wanted to call on the experts here for a bit of guidance. In order to hit my desired timeframe, I have to send these out this week.

I'm confident that they are the best place to send the Devils jersey. I contacted Arena Wear about the 2012 Rangers Winter Classic, but they said they don't have the nameplate material any longer. EPS lists this jersey specifically on their site. I didn't ask them AW about the 07/08 Rangers jersey. 

I'm confident EPS can hit my deadline for this project. Any reason *not* to send any of these to EPS? Is Keener a good idea? 

1. 2007/08 Rangers Reebok Edge 1.0 home - Layered red on white numbers and letters, Edge namplate, correct?
Example from MeiGray below.

2. 2012 Rangers Winter Classic Reebok Edge 2.0. Couldn't find a good example.

3. Devils Reebok Edge 2.0 ('13-'15 era) home - Layered white on black, Edge nameplate? MeiGray example: http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog2381/folder113520/img11930899.jpg

4. 2011/12 Flyers Edge 2.0 home - Twill nameplate, layered numbers and letters? MeiGray sample: http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog2381/folder12258/img10978001.jpg

Thank you for the help.

img8625081.jpg

Edited by artificialintuition
Fixed a typo

You are correct in that EPS would be the best place to get the Devils one done.

From what I’ve seen of EPS’ Flyers customization for that season, I would not send the jersey to them, but rather to Philly Express, the official team letterer.  You can’t send it directly to them however; you must go through one of the Flyers Skate Zone stores.  EPS’ nameplate letters look skinnier than the PE ones, and you can see the difference fairly easily.

3 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

You are correct in that EPS would be the best place to get the Devils one done.

From what I’ve seen of EPS’ Flyers customization for that season, I would not send the jersey to them, but rather to Philly Express, the official team letterer.  You can’t send it directly to them however; you must go through one of the Flyers Skate Zone stores.  EPS’ nameplate letters look skinnier than the PE ones, and you can see the difference fairly easily.

Thanks for the fast reply. 

Do you happen to know if I would be able to send a jersey to one of the SkateZone stores (any in particular?) and pay via phone? 

Good to know that Philly Express would still have the proper material.

How about the Rangers jerseys? Mistake to go to EPS?

I'm now looking at an email from Arena Wear re: my 2012 Winter Classic jersey. They wrote, "Not sure if we have any nameplate material leftover  but I’m sure we can match it." 

When I took it to the NHL store in NYC, the manager of the store called Arena Wear, and they claimed not to be able to do it, so I elected not to send it in. Arena Wear have said they are not taking any new orders from individuals until after Jan 31st, 2018.

I'm not in NYC any more. Should I try to get a friend to take that jersey into the NHL store again? Orders from the NHL store get priority, but it's a problem to get someone to take it in.

EPS would be *much* easier. Do they do a great job on vintage Rangers items?

Thanks!

Sorry, but I don’t know about the payment details with Philly Express.  There are a lot of Flyers fans here though, and hopefully some of them can answer you after they wake up tomorrow.  :)

I wouldn’t say it would be a mistake to send the Rangers jerseys to EPS, especially if you are sure that Arena Wear won’t accept any new orders until next year.  From what I can tell, the font in EPS’ picture of the Lundqvist Winter Classic looks pretty good, so if they can still do the felt customization and have the correct Edge nameplate, they would be as good an option as any.  

On the vintage Rangers, I’ve had a few 1990’s Rangers done by EPS, and the letters look a bit too thick compared to the original Gerry Cosby ones.  In fact, I recently had one of them redone by Keener, and it now looks much better.  Btw, I don’t mean to make it sound like I don’t like EPS- actually I have had over 60 jerseys done by them, and they are still one of my favorite customizing houses.  Over the years I have learned a lot about which jerseys they do best, and for others I prefer going with the original team customizers whenever possible.

10 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

I wouldn’t say it would be a mistake to send the Rangers jerseys to EPS, especially if you are sure that Arena Wear won’t accept any new orders until next year.  From what I can tell, the font in EPS’ picture of the Lundqvist Winter Classic looks pretty good, so if they can still do the felt customization and have the correct Edge nameplate, they would be as good an option as any.  

On the vintage Rangers, I’ve had a few 1990’s Rangers done by EPS, and the letters look a bit too thick compared to the original Gerry Cosby ones.  In fact, I recently had one of them redone by Keener, and it now looks much better.  Btw, I don’t mean to make it sound like I don’t like EPS- actually I have had over 60 jerseys done by them, and they are still one of my favorite customizing houses.  Over the years I have learned a lot about which jerseys they do best, and for others I prefer going with the original team customizers whenever possible.

Thanks for the additional color.

I agree the WC jersey sample EPS posted on their site looks pretty good--but perhaps my eye is not as sharp as yours and some others. OTOH, if they have the actual material for the nameplate that is a positive thing.

Re: "Vintage" Rangers jerseys -- I'm really just looking at a 2007/08 home jersey (Edge 1.0), but I figure that counts. Maybe Arena Wear would still have the materials for that.

Slight chance I head back to NY for the Winter Classic this year, in which case I could drop the jerseys at the NHL store and get them turned faster than they otherwise would be. But... if EPS do a good job on those 2 Rangers jerseys I cited it would be more convenient.

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, artificialintuition said:

Re: "Vintage" Rangers jerseys -- I'm really just looking at a 2007/08 home jersey (Edge 1.0), but I figure that counts. Maybe Arena Wear would still have the materials for that.

We definitely had different ideas about what “vintage” meant, haha.  I don’t consider any Edge jersey to be vintage, at least not yet.  :)

I haven’t had any Rangers Edge jerseys done by EPS, but some people here have said that some of EPS’ numbers on the home and roads are not spot-on accurate, and that they recommend Arena Wear for those.

11 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

We definitely had different ideas about what “vintage” meant, haha.  I don’t consider any Edge jersey to be vintage, at least not yet.  :)

I haven’t had any Rangers Edge jerseys done by EPS, but some people here have said that some of EPS’ numbers on the home and roads are not spot-on accurate, and that they recommend Arena Wear for those.

Their 3's are the most obvious incorrect number, and people usually want Zuccarello or Lundqvist. Just go with Arena Wear. 

8 hours ago, thebiggoalie said:

Their 3's are the most obvious incorrect number, and people usually want Zuccarello or Lundqvist. Just go with Arena Wear. 

Thanks for the post!

The trouble with going to Arena Wear is that I'm not in NY, AW will not take individual orders until after 1/31, and the NHL store will not take payment via phone (though they WILL get orders to AW with faster turnaround, though, and will ship back to me if I pre-pay). 

Further, with the '12 WC jersey, while an AW rep told me they have something they 'could make work', they also expressly told the NHL store manager that they cannot do the '12 WC at all.

Is it still worth pursuing Arena Wear on that one? 

Anyone in the NYC area that might be able to help? :D

*Slight* chance I might be in NY around New Years (I live pretty far away) to resolve myself. 

I don't know what EPS can do with the '12 WC in terms of nameplate material, though their online example looks pretty good.

Is the consensus that it is sub-optimal to send the 07/08 Rangers home and 12 WC jerseys to EPS? The 07/08 sweater will NOT have any 3's on it. :)

31 minutes ago, artificialintuition said:

Is the consensus that it is sub-optimal to send the 07/08 Rangers home and 12 WC jerseys to EPS? The 07/08 sweater will NOT have any 3's on it. :)

I don’t know just how inaccurate they are, but some members here have said that in addition to the 3’s, the EPS Rangers home 1/2/6’s are not accurate either.  It would be interesting to see pics of the differences, if someone has the time for that.

Also, if I were doing a Lundqvist WC, I’d probably feel pretty good about going with EPS based on their website picture, but for any other player you don’t know if all the letters and numbers will be accurate until you get it back.  It’s the risk you run whenever you go with a customizer who is not the official team letterer.

Edited by LAK74

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s always suboptimal to send it anywhere but the official customizer. 

True. I thought this is an interesting case because the official customized is saying they don’t have the exact material but can “make something work.”

That didn’t sound great. It sounded like trade-offs on both options. 

Many tace about EP so I was hopeful, as I know they could meet a deadline I have. I’m not likely to get an answer from EPS about the nameplate material before they have he sweater in-hand. (Optimal might be getting the material then sending to AW.)

thanks fir for helping me think through this diilemma. I appreciate people brainstorming with me and the expertise. 

You have to keep in mind that the WC was a one-off jersey, so years later there would be little reason for even the official letterer to still have any material left of a weird color that they wouldn’t be using for anything else.

You can usually ask EPS if they have original nameplate material in advance, if it’s for a design they have done before.  But even if they do have it, it’s unlikely they would sell it to you by itself so you could get the lettering done elsewhere.  They would almost certainly want you to order the lettering with them as well.

22 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

You have to keep in mind that the WC was a one-off jersey, so years later there would be little reason for even the official letterer to still have any material left of a weird color that they wouldn’t be using for anything else.

You can usually ask EPS if they have original nameplate material in advance, if it’s for a design they have done before.  But even if they do have it, it’s unlikely they would sell it to you by itself so you could get the lettering done elsewhere.  They would almost certainly want you to order the lettering with them as well.

Yes—absolutely. I’d think the official customizer might have less incentive to keep the material beyond the date of that game; on the other hand they likely had more of it to begin with. 

EPS seem very good at matching that sort of thing. Maybe I’m mistaken on that. 

If neither one has the original nameplate material, which one do you go with?

i guess if EPS had some, I may be able to pay them the cost of their customization but ask them only to send that material. 

Thanks for helping out with this. I’m new and learning.

i can wait on the 12 WC Jersey to get it right but the 07/08 Rangers jersey has a timeline, so I need to figure out how to get it to the NHL store.

If EPS is out of nameplate material of that color (WC), they can always sublimate a white Edge nameplate to match the color on your jersey.  Not sure if Arena Wear does that as well.

7 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

If EPS is out of nameplate material of that color (WC), they can always sublimate a white Edge nameplate to match the color on your jersey.  Not sure if Arena Wear does that as well.

Thanks. Arena Wear's exact quote to me was:
"Not sure if we have any nameplate material leftover  but I’m sure we can match it." 

But a week later they told the manager of the NHL store that they could not do it. I had a friend do me a huge favor to take the jersey there, only to get shut down. Not sure I can ask again. If I were there, I'd personally do it and press the issue a little bit harder.

EPS seem to be very careful about colors and materials from my seat. I imagine Areana Wear would be, too, if they try the color match.

Arena Wear's normal charge is $110, but they were asking $125 for the WC; maybe the extra $15 is for the match.

I checked with another supplier (Jersey Baron) to see if they might have the *exact* nameplate material. Doubt it, but they seem to have man of the original 2.0 jerseys themselves.

Again, great info. I've been lurking not his forum for a while and doing some deep reading. The amount of knowledge here is incredible.

Collectively you are making me realize the difference between 'close' and 'exact', and I'm eyeing a few jerseys that were done previously, noticing small details and thinking "Maybe I should have that re-done..."

You're converting me. :)

14 minutes ago, artificialintuition said:

I'm eyeing a few jerseys that were done previously, noticing small details and thinking "Maybe I should have that re-done..."

You're converting me. :)

Uh-oh, now you’re sliding down the path...  :P

Just now, LAK74 said:

Uh-oh, now you’re sliding down the path...  :P

Haha... yeah.

Honestly, EPS is going to be able to turn an order for me for a Devils jersey in a timeframe I need--and I know they can turn the other Rangers/Flyers jerseys as well on-time. I was popgun to send them all at once.

Now I'm trying to figure out an alternate strategy for the others, thanks to you folks. Extra work!! ;-)

When faced with a choice of "can't get it done" (honestly getting AW/NHL store to do the work from out-of-town may be impossible) vs "good enough", EPS might have to be the call.

I’ve done probably a hundred jerseys with EPS over the years, most of them Devils, but some other stuff too. They have only one time not had the right nameplate material, a 2002 All Star world team. Other than that, they’ve matched all manufacturers, materials and colors perfectly. 

Edited by mfitz804

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ve done probably a hundred jerseys with EPS over the years, most of them Devils, but some other stuff too. They have only one time not had the right nameplate material, a 2002 All Star world team. Other than that, they’ve matched all manufacturers, materials and colors perfectly. 

Thanks!

Any of those 100s Rangers jerseys? I ask because we are hearing above that their font is not 100% correct for the Rangers (see the comment on 3’s).