Proper number style question

7 minutes ago, artificialintuition said:

Thanks!

Any of those 100s Rangers jerseys? I ask because we are hearing above that their font is not 100% correct for the Rangers (see the comment on 3’s). 

Absolutely not. 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, artificialintuition said:

True, but are they better than EPS?

The comment earlier said “always go to the team customizer.”

Is be curious to hear opinions on Keener relative to the other options above. 

Thank you!

It sounds like you might not be able to goto the team customizer though, right? And even if you do, they don’t have the correct nameplate material.  Might as well ask Keener. I believe his Rangers font is accurate. Someone will need to confirm. 

15 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

It sounds like you might not be able to goto the team customizer though, right? And even if you do, they don’t have the correct nameplate material.  Might as well ask Keener. I believe his Rangers font is accurate. Someone will need to confirm. 

I look at Keener and EPS as being the best options if you can’t go to the team’s source for whatever reason. In this case, if EPS doesn’t get it right and Keener does, then choose Keener. I had Keener do a nameplate for a vintage Devils jersey once and it was perfect. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I look at Keener and EPS as being the best options if you can’t go to the team’s source for whatever reason. In this case, if EPS doesn’t get it right and Keener does, then choose Keener. I had Keener do a nameplate for a vintage Devils jersey once and it was perfect. 

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if you were saying Keener is better than EPS (or even that they are comparable to the teams' customizers). Now I understand. 

I don't believe I've heard how keener will do for Rangers gear, but we're hearing that the EPS font is not quite right.

8 hours ago, artificialintuition said:

Well, to be fair I'm not hearing that Keener is *better* than EPS...

Well you heard that EPS doesn’t do it right, and one person saying that he believes Keener’s font is accurate. If you were going to choose between the two...

Edited by mfitz804

Hey, all:
Quick update.

1- I can get the Flyers jersey taken care of by Philly Express via one of their partners. As said earlier in this thread, they do not deal with individuals (though they DID write to me personally). They confirmed they have materials for an 11/12 Edge 2.0 jersey.

2- Arena Wear re-iterated that they do not have nameplate material for the 12 Rangers WC jerseys, but they have everything else. The good news: I found someone who has Edge 1.0 material, and I can send that in with my order. It should mean things are perfect.

3- I'm going to try to send my 07/08 Rangers home jersey to Arena Wear, too. Need to verify that they have the materials for this. Not sure if the Edge 1.0 nameplate will be an issue (suggestions if it is?), but I figure that they did lots of Rangers home Edge 1/Edge 2 jerseys over the years, so there is a chance they may have some -- a better chance that for the 6-year old one-off Winter Classic jerseys.

4- My 13/14 Devils jersey is definitely going to EPS. 

Really want to thank people here for sharing knowledge. As said earlier, I'm learning, but I'm also the kind of person who appreciates the difference between "close" and "perfect." Until the past few days I haven't been aware of that difference. Thanks for helping me to get things perfect.

====

Anyone have a link to a good seam ripper I can purchase for use in stripping #s/nameplates off a jersey? I see a variety are available, and I'm curious if someone has an opinion on what is best.

4 minutes ago, artificialintuition said:

2- Arena Wear re-iterated that they do not have nameplate material for the 12 Rangers WC jerseys, but they have everything else. The good news: I found someone who has Edge 1.0 material, and I can send that in with my order. It should mean things are perfect.

Just curious about what you meant by "Edge 1.0 material."  Do you mean you have a white stretch mesh nameplate?  (This is the same material for both 1.0's and 2.0's)  If so, did Arena Wear confirm that they can sublimate it to the same color as the jersey?  I wouldn't assume Arena Wear's "match" meant they would sublimate it; they might have just meant they would find any material with the same color.  Even on game worns, when Arena Wear ran out of Edge mesh, they used different materials that were the same color as the jersey, but which did not match in texture.

1 minute ago, LAK74 said:

Just curious about what you meant by "Edge 1.0 material."  Do you mean you have a white stretch mesh nameplate?  (This is the same material for both 1.0's and 2.0's)  If so, did Arena Wear confirm that they can sublimate it to the same color as the jersey?  I wouldn't assume Arena Wear's "match" meant they would sublimate it; they might have just meant they would find any material with the same color.  Even on game worns, when Arena Wear ran out of Edge mesh, they used different materials that were the same color as the jersey, but which did not match in texture.

Sorry if my use of terminology was ambiguous. The Edge 2.0 was for the 2012 WC jersey; the Edge 1.0 was for my 07/08 sweater.

I did not realize that the Edge 1.0 and 2.0 jerseys used the *same* material for name plates. That is very interesting -- and it means my 07/08 Edge 1.0 should be a non-issue for them.

Arena Wear told me they did not have any material for the 12 WC Rangers jersey (cream colored), but they told me they could "make something work." They also told the NHL store they could not handle it at all. I have no idea what "make it work" meant. Sounds like based on what you said there is some wiggle room.

However, I found a supplier who actually had the material for that jersey. I'm TOLD it is an exact match. Is it really? I won't know until it arrives.

Since AW handle the Rangers work, and since the Edge (1.0 & 2.0) styles were used for ~10 years, AND since the nameplates used are the same for 1.0 and 2.0 (as you say), that should mean there is no problem that my Edge 1.0 is 10 years old.

If I still messed something up, please let me know.

If you actually have WC cream-colored Edge plate material, you’re good to go.  I thought you might have a white plate, expecting AW to sublimate it to the correct color.  When they said they would match the color, I thought they might mean they would just find any fabric that had a similar color, like they did with the regular season gamers.

1 minute ago, LAK74 said:

If you actually have WC cream-colored Edge plate material, you’re good to go.  I thought you might have a white plate, expecting AW to sublimate it to the correct color.  When they said they would match the color, I thought they might mean they would just find any fabric that had a similar color, like they did with the regular season gamers.

I figured AW had some sort of bigger issue, given that they did not just tell me a simple "yes", and they told the NHL store a flat out "no."

What is the truth? Not sure.

I think what I am supplying to them will be exact; that's my hope, at least. I guess the actual quest makes it worth it -- all part of the challenge and fun. We'll learn more, collectively, as I'll be happy to report back to the community.

I'll probably get something wrong, too, despite best efforts.

Question: If going to the official team customizer (thanks all!), how specific do I need to be w/r/t customization requests?

I'm going to EPS for the Devils, Arena Wear for the Rangers, Great Plains for the Flames, and Philly Express for the Flyers.

I'm generally specific the year of the jersey, the name/number, and a point that I would like them to be "to on-ice standards for that year."

Do I need to tell them the material for the nameplate (usually Airknit, except not for the 11/12 Flyers?) or number style? Seemed like all of these are reputable and should know.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, artificialintuition said:

Do I need to tell them the material for the nameplate (usually Airknit, except not for the 11/12 Flyers?) or number style? Seemed like all of these are reputable and should know.

They are reputable and should know. But what I always say is, if a detail of customization is important to you, you should specify it. If you don't, and you get something else, then you'll realized you should have said something. It takes like 5 seconds to include such an instruction, so there's really no reason not to be as specific as possible, especially if accuracy is your main concern and you are already sending 4 different jerseys to 4 different customizers. Just take the extra moment to get it right. 

I can only speak as to EPS, they do the Devils game jerseys, so they know what to do. I have sent them jerseys and failed to ask for the correct nameplate material by accident, and I always get the correct material. But as a rule, I always include that information. 

Anybody have any experience with the 1994 NHLPA 4 on 4 Challenge Tournament jersey customization.  I'm trying to do a USA Roenick and can't find anything to go by.  They look like this;

5092-1217283Fr.jpg

I've seen a few examples on Classic Auctions that are listed as being used in the tournament but the arm numbers on them don't match the arm numbers that you can see in the card picture.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

They are reputable and should know. But what I always say is, if a detail of customization is important to you, you should specify it. If you don't, and you get something else, then you'll realized you should have said something. It takes like 5 seconds to include such an instruction, so there's really no reason not to be as specific as possible, especially if accuracy is your main concern and you are already sending 4 different jerseys to 4 different customizers. Just take the extra moment to get it right. 

I can only speak as to EPS, they do the Devils game jerseys, so they know what to do. I have sent them jerseys and failed to ask for the correct nameplate material by accident, and I always get the correct material. But as a rule, I always include that information. 

Thanks for weighing in. I agree with what you said.

For the jerseys in question (11/12 Flyers home, 07/08 Rangers home, 12 Rangers WC, 17/18 Flames home), I believe all the numbers are stacked. I think all except the Flyers use Airknit material (wasn't able to figure out the definitive answer for the Flames/Adizeros) -- and the Flyers use twill?

Is there anything else I'm failing to specify?

Philly Express seem *really good*, as do EPS for the Devils. Arena Wear turned an '18 Winter Classic for me recently (no instructions given).

I sent off the package to EPS already and to Great Plains (Flames). Should I reach out to them to specify anything additional?

I could include instructions for Philly Express (they confirmed they know what's up for 11/12) and for Arena Wear, though I'm actually sending Arena Wear a nameplate for the '12 Winter Classic.

I wouldn’t use the word “airknit” to describe the nameplate for the Rangers jerseys.  Those should be Edge stretch mesh, I believe.  Sometimes Arena Wear used airknit on the Rangers home/roads when they ran out of Edge mesh.  Airknit refers to the jersey material on the front panel (and also on other parts) of the 2.0’s.

3 hours ago, LAK74 said:

I wouldn’t use the word “airknit” to describe the nameplate for the Rangers jerseys.  Those should be Edge stretch mesh, I believe.  Sometimes Arena Wear used airknit on the Rangers home/roads when they ran out of Edge mesh.  Airknit refers to the jersey material on the front panel (and also on other parts) of the 2.0’s.

Thanks, @LAK74! I've been a little self-conscious about the terms I'm using.

I think I mentioned it earlier, but I *thought* I knew certain things, then I come here and realize that collectively you folks have SO much more knowledge, and I'm humbled.

Good thing I got that *Edge* material for the '12 WC jersey and sent it to Arena Wear for them to use, right? :)

So you actually did get a matching cream colored Edge plate for the WC jersey?  If so, good work; those can’t be too easy to find nowadays.

• 3 weeks later...

So, the last two Flyers jerseys that EPS did for me came out pretty good, with the exception of two small things with the nameplate. 

1.  They cropped the height of the nameplate a little too much. It's not a huge deal, but the nameplates from my gamers and other authentics from Ruberti's range from 4.25" - 4.5" in height and EPS's was about 4" (I can get exact measurements tonight or tomorrow if you like).

2.  They positioned the nameplate too high on the jersey, so there is a wider gap between the plate and the numbers.  Like maybe a half inch more.  Again, not a huge deal, but when compared to my other jerseys, it looks a little off. 

Pics for reference of what I'm talking about:

Gamer from that era:

1992-93 Game Worn Brent Fedyk, road set ? (Back)

Ruberti's:

1995-96 Eric Lindros (Back)

EPS:

1996-97 Mikael Renberg (Back)

So, given that info, I would maybe give them more specific instructions on the nameplate height and and where to position the top of the plate and the top of the back numbers.