Classic Auctions Inc. Upcoming Auction...For Noobs.

The_Dude_Abides

Hey fellas. I have a question about game worn jerseys that are sold on Classic Auctions.

As some of you know, there's an auction ending in a few days time. I've just recently gotten into gamers so my question is this...

Can these jerseys all be trusted to be game worn?

There's one I want to bid on and it doesn't have a big name COA of any kind. 

Is the fact that it was sold on that site make it more trust worthy?

It's going to be pricey...I'm nervous. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This applies to every auction company. Do your own research. 

The auction houses sell and do their best to represent items but by no means can you just take face value. Doesnt matter if its Classic, Lelands, GWA.net, Sothebys, NHL.com, Heritage etc etc etc. And a COA is only a paper document. If you are going after a high priced gamer with nothing else but the jersey, try and photomatch or video match it. It helps to find a subject matter expert too. 

37 minutes ago, guam64 said:

Ouch, that's dodgy. They may think they've covered themselves by saying this: "Take notice that the jersey is a pro-style replica jersey, not an actual team-issued jersey" but they also say "Reebok pro-style jersey". It's not, is it? It's a Reebok-style fake jersey. Still, it's from years ago, perhaps they've got better.

However, phrases like "would likely have been used when he returned to the Pens" in another listing don't inspire much confidence when discussing game used equipment.

Caveat emptor, and all that...

7 hours ago, guam64 said:

Wow...thanks for the info man. Just wow...

Edited by The_Dude_Abides

It's a little more complex than "don't trust them" or "don't buy from them. What chow_hound said should be the fundamental rule.

I have bought a couple of jerseys from them, I got what was in the photos but I researched as much as I could before bidding.

I have wanted to respond to this post for a bit but was busy all weekend.

Basically like any auctions it is always do your research.  This goes especially on items that are considered vintage or for a lot of teams pre-Meigray period.  For me it is overall easy as I collect Devils and Devils started being a Meigray team full time from 03-04 season to present, so looking up the Meigray tag is an easy task.  However, prior to that season I would trust photomatching as well as provenance more than their word.  I have seen a lot of their lots with a "photomatch" that I really can't find so often times I have to go at it with myself to determine if and how much $ I want to drop on that particular jersey.

Also be careful of how they word things.  A big ask from collectors over the years is that these auction houses cut down on the amount of the description describing how awesome the player is and very little describing the jersey.

An example was in their last winter auction where Classic was auctioning off a Bernie Nicholls NJ Devils game worn jersey that he scored his 400th goal and later his 1000th career point in.  It was a white jersey that was autographed with an LOA by Nicholls himself.  However not all is as seems with this one.  First red flag is that there is no picture of the LOA from Nicholls.  Second is that looking at the game logs from the 93-94 season, he got his 400th goal on the 10/31/93 game against the Rangers and his 1000 point against Tampa on 2/14/94.  Problem is the 10/31 game against the Rangers was in Halifax (neutral site game) where the Rangers were the designated home team and the 2/14 game against Tampa was in Tampa.  Therefore in those games the Devils wore road reds and the jersey up for auction is white.  A buddy of mine even met Nicholls at a signing in NJ last month and told him about it and Nicholls told him that he has the 400th goal and 1000th point jersey at home hanging on his wall.

So uh, how long do these things typically go on for with the extended bidding period?

Last gamewornauction went until like 5am. Haven't followed a classicauction before but I imagine it'll be going on for quite a while. 

Man, I just hate not knowing if I won until I get up the next morning...

8 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

Man, I just hate not knowing if I won until I get up the next morning...

Well I work nights, so I can at least keep an eye on it. But I'm not sure it's any easier that way. Gonna make this 12 feel a lot longer.

Auction closed at 5:32 am. I'd say my first auction was a success, can't wait to get it.

Yah, I was going to go for the 1992 Yzerman AS game worn. But I backed out after some help from a member. He found another auctuon listing from the past, another 92 Yzerman AS game worn...different jersey signed in a different spot. 

I'm no expert but I'm assuming they didn't wear multiple sets in an AS game back then...correct me if I'm wrong. 

Also, the story in the description was..."got it from a guy who knew a guy who worked for the NHL" 

Just had a bad feeling. 

What did everyone win?  Nothing really stuck out for me so I sat this one out.

4 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

What did everyone win?  Nothing really stuck out for me so I sat this one out.

That's what she said. 

3 hours ago, The_Dude_Abides said:

Yah, I was going to go for the 1992 Yzerman AS game worn. But I backed out after some help from a member. He found another auctuon listing from the past, another 92 Yzerman AS game worn...different jersey signed in a different spot. 

I'm no expert but I'm assuming they didn't wear multiple sets in an AS game back then...correct me if I'm wrong. 

Also, the story in the description was..."got it from a guy who knew a guy who worked for the NHL" 

Just had a bad feeling. 

Obviously the ubiquitous "guy who worked for the NHL" is not a trustworthy figure. You made the right choice. 

I sat this one out, too.  I knew the Lindros jerseys were gonna be too much and the only other jersey that interested me was a Gagne, but I already have a GW Gagne so I passed.

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's what she said. 

It's also what the entire Devils team has been saying for most of this season.