Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NorCalFlamesRangers

Washing my Rangers Winter Classic jersey

7 posts in this topic

While traveling, my Rangers winter classic got a few dark spots on it, I don't think they're stains, just dirty areas. A couple are right on the upper edges of the crest. What is the best way to wash the jersey? The crest and numbers are felt, and I don't want to ruin them, obviously. 

Machine wash cold inside out, air dry. Same for pretty much every jersey ever. I know it scares people thinking they may ruin something, but these things are meant to be washed. Don't stress over it.

3 hours ago, JoeM7392 said:

Machine wash cold inside out, air dry. Same for pretty much every jersey ever. I know it scares people thinking they may ruin something, but these things are meant to be washed. Don't stress over it.

Yup. It's clothing. 

I would add, I wash mine on low spin as well. Jerseys aren't especially absorbent so they don't need a fast spin to squeeze the water out. Using low spin, in my opinion, makes it come out less creased. High spin makes clothes come out in a ball. 

Years ago when I had one of those, there was a small smudge underneath the crest that absolutely drove me nuts. I tried getting it out with a little water but it didn't work. So, I actually dug out the stitching on the crest, pulled it off gently and then threw the blank shirt in the wash. The stain came out, I sewed the crest back on and bingo! This was a blank though and I see yours is lettered. Try dabbing some water and laundry detergent on there and rubbing it with your fingers. That might work.

On March 7, 2017 at 5:50 PM, Brilliant! said:

Years ago when I had one of those, there was a small smudge underneath the crest that absolutely drove me nuts. I tried getting it out with a little water but it didn't work. So, I actually dug out the stitching on the crest, pulled it off gently and then threw the blank shirt in the wash. The stain came out, I sewed the crest back on and bingo! This was a blank though and I see yours is lettered. Try dabbing some water and laundry detergent on there and rubbing it with your fingers. That might work.

I just put it in the washer, cold, on the "extra light" cycle, and no other clothes. I was nervous because of the felt crest and numbers, I knew the jersey itself would be fine, the felt parts were what I worried about. Everything turned out fine though, it was nearly dry already when I pulled it out of the washer, the dirty areas are cleaned, the crest is perfect, still stiff, no wrinkling, the numbers are fine, colors didn't bleed or anything. Now, I wouldn't wash it on a regular basis, I've had it for a year and a half or so, and this is the first time I washed it. The only thing that sucks is that there was a small sticker attached to the tag inside the jersey, I think it was the manufacture date or something, but that obviously didn't survive the wash. Jersey turned out great though, thanks for all the advice!