Replica or IndoEdge... would you?

rattlestar

Lucky Statsny - I guess he got a CCM 'Vintage' jersey instead of a Reebok Premier.

55 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

It's just as well that they're wearing modern replicas.  Can you imagine being tasked to find authentics from their eras and then getting them lettered accurately enough to satisfy us picky ########? :P   

I'll bet that collectively from here you could get pretty close...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Ash said:

I dunno who these guys are, but most of them seem OK going to watch some game or other in replicas...

cropped_LegendsGaryAVasquez.jpg?ts=14857

Fair enough, but my assumption is that they probably got them free from the team/NHL. I could be wrong.

11 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Fair enough, but my assumption is that they probably got them free from the team/NHL. I could be wrong.

Definitely correct. Someone just handed them those jerseys to wear. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Definitely correct. Someone just handed them those jerseys to wear. 

Someone should also do this for any veterans who stand on the ice for the national anthem. I've watched a few stand at attention in crappy knockoffs and it's just sad.

31 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Someone should also do this for any veterans who stand on the ice for the national anthem. I've watched a few stand at attention in crappy knockoffs and it's just sad.

Even in sponsored team commercials you can see fakes.  They're literally everywhere.

2 hours ago, LAK74 said:

Some of the 100 greatest players of all time right there, being honored at the 2017 All-Star Game.

It's just as well that they're wearing modern replicas.  Can you imagine being tasked to find authentics from their eras and then getting them lettered accurately enough to satisfy us picky ########? :P   

I guess I can't fault them for not scouring ebay for authentics, but it was a little jarring seeing some of the players in styles they never wore.  Hasek is front and center there.  It's not like they don't have a classic Sabres currently available...

http://shop.nhl.com/catalog/product/Mens_Buffalo_Sabres_CCM_White_Classic_Throwback_Jersey 

12 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Even in sponsored team commercials you can see fakes.  They're literally everywhere.

Haven't seen those yet. 

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40

4 hours ago, furiousd said:

I guess I can't fault them for not scouring ebay for authentics, but it was a little jarring seeing some of the players in styles they never wore.  Hasek is front and center there.  It's not like they don't have a classic Sabres currently available...

http://shop.nhl.com/catalog/product/Mens_Buffalo_Sabres_CCM_White_Classic_Throwback_Jersey 

The article that I saw the picture in (coincidentally whilst I was doing an image search for work about 'get involved', as they were celebrating that so many greats were involved in this season's All Star weekend), talked of the event as a commercial success. I strongly suspect that modern jerseys were deliberately chosen as a branding exercise to ensure that more fans could 'identify' easier with heroes of the past in the current colors of various teams. The event might have been good for celebrating heritage, but I guess they didn't want to exclude more recent or casual fans. Or perhaps I'm over analyzing it, it would still be pretty easy to work out who was on what team with retro jerseys (and personally would have looked better)...

I guess for a 5-minute photo op, they figured Premiers were good enough.

Edited by Ash

Its kinda funny when you see players go to events and their teams give them premieres to wear. My thoughts are... seriously? Are you too cheap to let them wear an authentic? Although I know no one else cares. 

Edited by rattlestar

I think it's more what they have on hand. I'm pretty sure the Devils just grab a jersey from the Devils Den and then heat press the customization on. 

On 3/28/2017 at 10:13 AM, jsh139 said:

MSG Network shows Rangers fans in fakes in their commercials.

9 hours ago, rattlestar said:

Its kinda funny when you see players go to events and their teams give them premieres to wear. My thoughts are... seriously? Are you too cheap to let them wear an authentic? Although I know no one else cares. 

When the Rangers did their fan forum this year all the players wore authentics except for Brady Skjei who had a poorly lettered premier for some stupid reason.

• 3 weeks later...

First post, looks like as good a place as any to start the pot a stirring ?

I always have to bite my tongue when I see "authentic" used for a jersey that someone bought down at Martha's Sports Shack and had the lady at the dry cleaners/alteration shop sew a name and numbers on the back.  For me, if it was not issued by the team or at least team procured and customized with the intent to be issued it is not authentic. It doesn't have to have hit the ice or even made it to a players back, just has to have been in the possession of the team equipment mgr and on the inventory sheets.  

Everything else is a replica, now obviously there are many levels of replica and they vary wildly in accuracy, proper jersey, proper customization, etc, but if the team didn't own it then it is a replica.

As far as the Indo's go, I tried one on for the first time at a Preds game a couple weeks ago and it felt and fit pretty much like a Premier to me. It falls a good bit short of the real jerseys and not worth near what they were asking but if you came across a blowout on a sewn customized one (say under $35) it would be worth it for a jersey you didn't have to worry about or can let the wife wear to the game. 

Edited by L2A3

52 minutes ago, L2A3 said:

First post, looks like as good a place as any to start the pot a stirring ?

I always have to bite my tongue when I see "authentic" used for a jersey that someone bought down at Martha's Sports Shack and had the lady at the dry cleaners/alteration shop sew a name and numbers on the back.  For me, if it was not issued by the team or at least team procured and customized with the intent to be issued it is not authentic. It doesn't have to have hit the ice or even made it to a players back, just has to have been in the possession of the team equipment mgr and on the inventory sheets.  

Everything else is a replica, now there are many levels of replica accuracy obviously, proper jersey, proper customization, etc, but if the team didn't own it then it is not authentic!

As far as the Indo's go, I tried one on for the first time at a Preds game a couple weeks ago and it felt and fit pretty much like a Premier to me, not worth the bother or near what they were asking but if you came across a blowout on a sewn customized one (say under $35) it would be worth it for a jersey you didn't have to worry about or can let the wife wear to the game. 

That's not the terminology used in this hobby. You're talking about game issued. Authentic refers to any jersey that is the same as those used on the ice; you could distinguish them by calling store bought authentics as "retail authentics", but you wouldn't call it a "replica" because that's something else entirely. 

I see what you're saying but I don't necessarily agree with it, as I think it's a question of semantics.  To me the word "authentic," when speaking of jerseys, simply refers to the quality level of the jersey, not whether it was purchased by me or a professional team.  An authentic is a pro model jersey which is equal in construction quality to what is worn by professional players.  In most cases, (excepting minor details like fight strap attachments in Reebok Edge jerseys, and let's not even get into the subject of the maligned Indo-Edges) there is really no quality difference between the authentic jersey bought at, say, JerseyBaron or by an actual team.  

If you want to refer to a jersey that was provided to a team, there are specific terms for that, which are merely subdivisions of the term "authentic" - "team-issued" for jerseys provided to a team, "game-issued" for jerseys lettered on order of the team and prepared for use by a player, and "game-used," worn by a player in a game.  But the authentic jersey I can buy at JerseyBaron is the same quality level jersey as any team-issued, game-issued or even game-used jersey, and as such, still deserves to be called an authentic.

Edit: I wrote this before mfitz's post, so sorry if much of it repeats what he said- I think he and I are in agreement on this.

22 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

I see what you're saying but I don't necessarily agree with it, as I think it's a question of semantics.  To me the word "authentic," when speaking of jerseys, simply refers to the quality level of the jersey, not whether it was purchased by me or a professional team.  An authentic is a pro model jersey which is equal in construction quality to what is worn by professional players.  In most cases, (excepting minor details like fight strap attachments in Reebok Edge jerseys, and let's not even get into the subject of the maligned Indo-Edges) there is really no quality difference between the authentic jersey bought at, say, JerseyBaron or by an actual team.  

If you want to refer to a jersey that was provided to a team, there are specific terms for that, which are merely subdivisions of the term "authentic" - "team-issued" for jerseys provided to a team, "game-issued" for jerseys lettered on order of the team and prepared for use by a player, and "game-used," worn by a player in a game.  But the authentic jersey I can buy at JerseyBaron is the same quality level jersey as any team-issued, game-issued or even game-used jersey, and as such, still deserves to be called an authentic.

Edit: I wrote this before mfitz's post, so sorry if much of it repeats what he said- I think he and I are in agreement on this.

Yeah, but you said it better.

;)

A 2.0 or whichever jersey of the same type as used by the team and customized by the team customizer to the same spec would be an "exact replica" of the team's on ice or the "authentic" jerseys. ?

Yes it is semantics and may (inaccurately?) be the common terminology but I have seen enough real x.x jerseys described as authentic when the customization does not come close to what the players wear.  If the term authentic is just applied to the jersey blank itself then everything is authentic because a Premier is an authentic Reebok 7185 and an Indo is an authentic 7231 or whatever it is. 

42 minutes ago, L2A3 said:

If the term authentic is just applied to the jersey blank itself then everything is authentic because a Premier is an authentic Reebok 7185 and an Indo is an authentic 7231 or whatever it is. 

And at that point, you'd just be trying to redefine terminology that's been in use for decades. Like it or not, in the hobby, "authentic" doesn't just mean "genuine."  It connotes a particular type of jersey - one that's made to the on-ice specs*, sold for retail.

* Standard disclaimer about Edge fight straps.

Also, "replica" and "authentic" refer to the type of jersey, they have nothing to do with customization.

You can have a blank authentic or replica, a replica with accurate customizing, an authentic with crap customizing, etc...

As said above, you're trying to re-define terms that everyone in the hobby uses already. 

2 hours ago, L2A3 said:

A 2.0 or whichever jersey of the same type as used by the team and customized by the team customizer to the same spec would be an "exact replica" of the team's on ice or the "authentic" jerseys. ?

That's not correct. If you want it to be truly on-ice accurate, then it has to be a team issue customized to team specs. There are differences between the team issue and retail authentics.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the different styles and models of jerseys. But on this site, and many other sites, groups and stores, we use terminology that is pretty standardized. 

4 hours ago, L2A3 said:

Yes it is semantics and may (inaccurately?) be the common terminology but I have seen enough real x.x jerseys described as authentic when the customization does not come close to what the players wear.  If the term authentic is just applied to the jersey blank itself then everything is authentic because a Premier is an authentic Reebok 7185 and an Indo is an authentic 7231 or whatever it is. 

Welcome to the forum.

With that out of the way, you're wrong.

This reminds me of that guy that was hanging out here (briefly) and he insisted on calling anything other than a game worn a "replica authentic". 

4 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

That's not correct. If you want it to be truly on-ice accurate, then it has to be a team issue customized to team specs. There are differences between the team issue and retail authentics.

You are saying not correct but it almost sounds like you are agreeing with me??? (we are close, come on over to my side ?)

I guess I'll go back to biting my tongue but the dictionary tells me that I am using the terms correctly. 

Authentic = genuine article

Replica =  an exact or very close copy or reproduction 

Buying a jersey at the shop and having it customized to match a players jersey is clearly a reproduction of a team issued item  

***Just to make sure everyone knows my opinion was expressed with a smile, and I didn't mean to get anyone's dander up.

Happy Easter ?