Replica or IndoEdge... would you?

rattlestar

We need to pull our goalie.  :P

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch, didn't think I was being a Troll, just a guy with a differing opinion as to how things are described. Someone even asked that I not go away and that people enjoyed these deep philosophical discussions  - but I guess only some people.  To an outsider such as myself the terminology is just a bit off so I guess I'm getting run off into the woods by the torch and pitchfork crowd like the "Authentic Replica guy".  I actually like that term, authentic covers the blank Jersey and replica covers the team customization that was not ordered or ever owned by the team. 

If a player jersey is truly authentic is it because it says that it is or is it made authentic by the fact that the team actually owned it?  My opinion was not that the jerseys in question are not  authentic Reebok or whoever x.x jerseys but that the end product was not an authentic team x jersey but an exact or to whatever degree replica of the team jersey. 
Tag_zps2tr2ywek.jpg

Anyway for the sake of not being considered a Troll you guys win, I'm with you now, Martha's Sport Shack and the Pro Teams all own the exact same genuine official authentic player jerseys.  Now that I am in lock-step can I stay on the forum?  Torches down? :) 

5 minutes ago, L2A3 said:

Ouch, didn't think I was being a Troll, just a guy with a differing opinion as to how things are described. Someone even asked that I not go away and that people enjoyed these deep philosophical discussions  - but I guess only some people.  To an outsider such as myself the terminology is just a bit off so I guess I'm getting run off into the woods by the torch and pitchfork crowd like the "Authentic Replica guy".  I actually like that term, authentic covers the blank Jersey and replica covers the team customization that was not ordered or ever owned by the team. 

If a player jersey is truly authentic is it because it says that it is or is it made authentic by the fact that the team actually owned it?  My opinion was not that the jerseys in question are not  authentic Reebok or whoever x.x jerseys but that the end product was not an authentic team x jersey but an exact or to whatever degree replica of the team jersey. 

Anyway for the sake of not being considered a Troll you guys win, I'm with you now, Martha's Sport Shack and the Pro Teams all own the exact same genuine official authentic player jerseys.  Now that I am in lock-step can I stay on the forum?  Torches down? :) 

I'm obviously enjoying the hell out of this, perhaps too much, so I am hoping that wasn't directed at me. 

So if you are now saying that authentic covers the blank jersey, if I send it to the same exact customizer that does the team's work, so now the customization is dead on balls accurate to what is on the ice, but it wasn't ordered by the team...do I now have a replica jersey?

EDIT: For the record, the "replica authentic" guy had many other issues beyond terminology, if I recall correctly. 

Edited by mfitz804

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm obviously enjoying the hell out of this, perhaps too much, so I am hoping that wasn't directed at me. 

So if you are now saying that authentic covers the blank jersey, if I send it to the same exact customizer that does the team's work, so now the customization is dead on balls accurate to what is on the ice, but it wasn't ordered by the team...do I now have a replica jersey?

EDIT: For the record, the "replica authentic" guy had many other issues beyond terminology, if I recall correctly. 

No not directed at you, a page back someone made a troll comment and while trying to load that pic from photobucket my browser took a nap and since this forum is so active there were many replies before I got this one up.  Photobucket is always unstable for me, POS! 

The old me screams "exact replica!", but the new reformed me quietly says "no sir, that one is completely authentic" with just a very subtle eye twitch.

3 minutes ago, L2A3 said:

No not directed at you, a page back someone made a troll comment and while trying to load that pic from photobucket my browser took a nap and since this forum is so active there were many replies before I got this one up.  Photobucket is always unstable for me, POS! 

The old me screams "exact replica!", but the new reformed me quietly says "no sir, that one is completely authentic" with just a very subtle eye twitch.

Well played, my man. 

C'mon guys don't scare him away he looks like he's a member of Leafs nation.  

Hahahahahaha.  #Dartguy makes an appearance on here.  Some of the photoshops making the rounds have me in stitches.

"Authentic Replica" is a term that always hate seeing - especially on eBay.  How can something be an authentic and replica at the same time.  It's either/or, it can't be both.  I guess the only time it could be correct is to say it's actually an official replica, not a knockoff.  But when someone call something an authentic replica it always make me want to throw something.

4 hours ago, jsh139 said:

We have a bigger problem.  The Merriam-Webster dictionary has an interesting definition for the word "Authentic":

OoHlm6X.jpg

Oh, and someone better call Reebok and tell them that they are falsely advertising their product:

FXv0a05.jpg

Someone should call Fanatics too and tell them to stop misrepresenting Indos as authentic on shop.nhl.com.

58 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

"Authentic Replica" is a term that always hate seeing - especially on eBay.  How can something be an authentic and replica at the same time.  It's either/or, it can't be both.  I guess the only time it could be correct is to say it's actually an official replica, not a knockoff.  But when someone call something an authentic replica it always make me want to throw something.

It seems to me that the term "authentic replica" may be common in the gameworn community, where collectors tend to consider anything that is not gameworn to be a replica of a gameworn jersey.  Which is basically true, but they at least acknowledge that the base jersey is indeed an authentic, but it is lettered with the intention of copying, or replicating, if you will, the original game lettering as closely as possible.  This does make sense to me, but I think the OP still doesn't understand what we are trying to say here.  If I have a blank 2.0 Leafs jersey and letter it accurately through SLC with Matthews, I can still say that the jersey is an authentic, but in no way am I trying to say that it is an authentic Matthews gameworn or even game-issued jersey.   Those terms are more specific and reserved only for the actual jerseys lettered and prepared by the team for the player.  But none of us here are claiming that our similarly-lettered jerseys are anything more than just "authentics"- they started that way at the factory and will continue to be so no matter what kind of lettering they receive, they are just not "authentic game-issued or game-worn."  A jersey doesn't stop being an authentic just because someone lettered it.

2 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

It seems to me that the term "authentic replica" may be common in the gameworn community, where collectors tend to consider anything that is not gameworn to be a replica of a gameworn jersey.  Which is basically true, but they at least acknowledge that the base jersey is indeed an authentic, but it is lettered with the intention of copying, or replicating, if you will, the original game lettering as closely as possible.  This does make sense to me, but I think the OP still doesn't understand what we are trying to say here.  If I have a blank 2.0 Leafs jersey and letter it accurately through SLC with Matthews, I can still say that the jersey is an authentic, but in no way am I trying to say that it is an authentic Matthews gameworn or even game-issued jersey.   Those terms are more specific and reserved only for the actual jerseys lettered and prepared by the team for the player.  But none of us here are claiming that our similarly-lettered jerseys are anything more than just "authentics"- they started that way at the factory and will continue to be so no matter what kind of lettering they receive, they are just not "authentic game-issued or game-worn."  A jersey doesn't stop being an authentic just because someone lettered it.

Agree with the bolded section. "Replica" or "authentic" doesn't refer to customization. Only the jersey that said customization is placed on. 

When it just involves the blanks I totally agree and that is what I was trying to say from the beginning, it just gets misleading when the customization gets added and it becomes an "authentic Austin Matthews jersey".  

I'm not sure if you have had any of these conversations with non-collectors but just like the purity of talking with a child they are often confused by the adopted terminology. When my wife looks at my jerseys/gloves/helmets etc. and the "Letters of Authenticity" from the teams or MeiGray and then asks why these other jerseys don't have them I explain that they are replicas of the players jersey that I had made up using the same materials the team uses. To go any other way would be a rabbit hole that would lead to her never wanting to discuss it again.........wait a minute ?

For the record, I've posted on this site many times that I think it's absurd when I see people get so obsessive about fonts and serifs and name plate materials and kiss cut and stacked materials when they have the most important feature of an "authentic" jersey wrong. The size. If you are so anal about all these small details, get the most important one right. In reality, an "authentic jersey" is a piece of athletic equipment, no different that a pair of gloves, a helmet, shoulder pads, or a jock strap. If you buy an "authentic" jersey that is a size much smaller than what the player actually wears/wore, than what you really have is an authentic-style replica. You want to make it truly "authentic", then get the same size jersey of that player. Otherwise, buy a shirt. If you want something that fits you better, there are plenty of shirts out there, or just get a replica and save the time and money. I know my view is very unpopular here, but I could care less. Because any argument against it is just justification in my view. And I've been on this site for 10 years now. 

I can appreciate the size argument from a collector perspective. I am not a collector, just a fan who likes real jerseys, so I don't feel the need to buy and wear a size 58+/60, even if I do end up customizing. 

I think you just gotta set your limit and enjoy it. I'll likely never buy a gamer, so for now an authentic 2.0 is pretty great to me.

I really don't know how this is so hard to understand.  Authentic refers to the jersey itself.  There's authentic jerseys, Indo jerseys, replicas, and knockoffs. Everything else just goes on to that jersey, and your level of how accurate you want it to be to what they wear on the ice.

Say my buddy and I buy the same Hawks Authentic Jersey.  But he sends his the EPS to get customized, and I send it to CSL the official customizer.  Yes, mine is going to be more accurate according to what they wear on the ice - but the jersey is still the same authentic jersey.

We all have our levels or crazy when it comes to how accurate you want the jersey to be.  I am sure there are those of us out there who would only get a jersey the size a player actually wears so it can be 100% perfectly accurate to what they would wear on the ice, and there are those of us that just send everything to EPS because they do everything very close to what is used even though it is not always spot on.

You have two different levels - the model of jersey, and the accuracy of the customization.  The customization doesn't change the model of jersey - they just work together in tandem.  I have seen plenty of authentic jerseys with awful customization, and I have seen plenty of replicas with accurate customization.

Edited by spudrock512

2 hours ago, L2A3 said:

When it just involves the blanks I totally agree and that is what I was trying to say from the beginning, it just gets misleading when the customization gets added and it becomes an "authentic Austin Matthews jersey".

Nope, it's still very simple and straightforward. Not sure what's misleading about it.

An authentic jersey, which is the tier of jerseys sold by Reebok, ect. that is then customized with Matthews name and number is now an authentic Austin Matthews jersey. No quotations needed, that term doesn't imply or require that it was worn or made to be worn by the player.

1 hour ago, rabinsurance said:

For the record, I've posted on this site many times that I think it's absurd when I see people get so obsessive about fonts and serifs and name plate materials and kiss cut and stacked materials when they have the most important feature of an "authentic" jersey wrong. The size. If you are so anal about all these small details, get the most important one right. In reality, an "authentic jersey" is a piece of athletic equipment, no different that a pair of gloves, a helmet, shoulder pads, or a jock strap. If you buy an "authentic" jersey that is a size much smaller than what the player actually wears/wore, than what you really have is an authentic-style replica. You want to make it truly "authentic", then get the same size jersey of that player. Otherwise, buy a shirt. If you want something that fits you better, there are plenty of shirts out there, or just get a replica and save the time and money. I know my view is very unpopular here, but I could care less. Because any argument against it is just justification in my view. And I've been on this site for 10 years now. 

This post is the only thing absurd here.

And it's good to know you care, even if just a little...

Edited by JoeM7392

5 hours ago, rabinsurance said:

Buy whatever jerseys you want, customize them however you choose. It still doesn't change the terminology, we all still know the difference between an authentic and a replica.