2017-2018 Jersey Watch

CJ Matthews

25 minutes ago, furiousd said:

If that's where they're pricing the new Indos (or wherever they're from),  I have to think the Canadian-made authentics will be coming.  No way they're leaving that 300-400 Canadian price segment unfilled, is there? 

It depends on how many of the Canadian authentics they move versus the cheaper Indos. Is it worth the expense when more people will buy the cheaper options?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, CJ Matthews said:

The first thing I'll say about this right off the bat is, if these are actually the jerseys, it's nice to see the crests aren't sublimated like we had feared earlier.

I've had several NHL teams tell me that when they saw their reveal back in December, the practice jerseys had a fully sublimated front panel.

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

The material definitely looks different than Air-Knit.  Looks kind of like the Edge 1.0 X-trafil or whatever they called it.

One of the problems with 1.0 were the massive amounts of jersey repairs being made due to poor abrasion. Air-knit "solved" that, but, I see this move to be similar to what adidas does for their soccer teams by offering one product for field/on-ice play and retail sell.

1 hour ago, dsl135 said:

Interestingly, a lot of teams now have the mesh/jersey material incorporated into their logos (like the World Cup jerseys did). Philly, Carolina, Columbus, Winnipeg, Buffalo, Minnesota, NJ, Arizona all have it so far.

Fingers crossed on the authentics...

This is called making the jersey CHEAPER!

Think about it..."we cut the (cheap) jersey fabric to use in the logo in place of the (more expensive) twill to provide a better look.  On top of that, this makes the jersey lighter in weight and allows the players to perform better."

Let's call it what it truly is; creating larger margins.

49 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

I was told by someone in the know that the design was not going to be very different at all from the Edge.  I have a feeling they're going to be similar to the WCOH design, which would be fine with me- I really liked how they fit, less baggy-looking than the Edge.

Have a friend who used to work at adidas who told me that they refined the patterns to make the "on-ice" product less baggy and better fitting.  When they went to 2.0, they altered the patterns.

37 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

It depends on how many of the Canadian authentics they move versus the cheaper Indos. Is it worth the expense when more people will buy the cheaper options?

This plus the fact that most fans I've met have no idea where the Indo authentic is made, or that the real ones are made in Canada and could be had for less than Indo, nor do they care about either. Even more have no idea there are two kinds of authentics.

thats not counting the fans that don't think a knockoff edge is discernible from an authentic. I'm new to this hobby as of the last few years, but the quality some people are fine with wearing is a bit gross.

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40

40 minutes ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

Think about it..."we cut the (cheap) jersey fabric to use in the logo in place of the (more expensive) twill to provide a better look.  On top of that, this makes the jersey lighter in weight and allows the players to perform better."

I once had a customizer tell me that Edge material costs more than wedding dress material. Is twill really more expensive?

In any event, They've maintained the integrity of the Devils logo if not the same materials, so I am satisfied with that. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I once had a customizer tell me that Edge material costs more than wedding dress material. Is twill really more expensive?

The jersey material in the new crests appears to be a plain polyester knit (much cheaper than the Edge stretch material, I'm sure) and I would imagine it actually is cheaper than twill.

48 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

The jersey material in the new crests appears to be a plain polyester knit (much cheaper than the Edge stretch material, I'm sure) and I would imagine it actually is cheaper than twill.

Well, then that sucks. 

That new air knit material seems pretty lightweight.  I would think it's possible that those parts of the crest might actually start to tear from repeated abrasions, slashes, etc.

A handful of teams have yet to release a teaser pic, the Blackhawks and Penguins notable among them

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Assuming we're talking about 1.0 material, that was because of what CCM/Reebok was charging for it.  I found THE EXACT FABRIC for 80% less.

1 hour ago, Hawks2797 said:

As long as that Hawks logo stays chain stitched I'll be happy. 

It looks like the gold in the vegas logo is chain stitched

23 minutes ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

Assuming we're talking about 1.0 material, that was because of what CCM/Reebok was charging for it.  I found THE EXACT FABRIC for 80% less.

I was assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that mfitz was referring to Edge "stretch mesh," which was not unique to 1.0's.  (It was the stuff used on the backs (as well as in other places) of both 1.0's and 2.0's, and is the material that most NHL teams used for nameplates on Edge jerseys.)

The materials unique to 1.0's were bubble mesh (the water-repellent stretchy stuff on the front and arms of the jersey), and x-trafil (smooth, tightly knit material on the shoulders and parts of the sleeves).  I didn't even know if Reebok made those materials available for sale- were you by chance referring to one of these 2 materials?  If so, then I misunderstood someone's comment, and sorry for any confusion my post may have caused.

Just now, LAK74 said:

I was assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that mfitz was referring to Edge "stretch mesh," which was not unique to 1.0's.  (It was the stuff used on the backs (as well as in other places) of both 1.0's and 2.0's, and is the material that most NHL teams used for nameplates on Edge jerseys.)

The materials unique to 1.0's were bubble mesh (the water-repellent stretchy stuff on the front and arms of the jersey), and x-trafil (smooth, tightly knit material on the shoulders and parts of the sleeves).  I didn't even know if Reebok made those materials available for sale- were you by chance referring to one of these 2 materials?  If so, then I misunderstood someone's comment, and sorry for any confusion my post may have caused.

Front.

Reebok made those available to customizers at the cost of $45/yard.

17 minutes ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

Front.

Reebok made those available to customizers at the cost of $45/yard.

Interesting.  Just curious then, what would customizers use that for on a jersey?  I don't think any team ever used it for nameplates, right?

Talked to a contact in the Canucks. He confirmed the Adidas jersey was going to be priced substantially less than the team currently sells authentics for ($329.99) however when i asked about which country he declined to answer and advised that they cannot release specifics until after the NHL awards release at which time the team will release details. He did mention small design changes relating to materials and less about layout. So essentially confirming what has been said above. I am taking a shot in the dark here, but i am guessing we see gamers differing from retail authentics. 

It's déjà vu all over again. Let's see how long it takes for players to complain about the new old material. There is no chance that this crap stands up to average wear.

30 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

It's déjà vu all over again. Let's see how long it takes for players to complain about the new old material. There is no chance that this crap stands up to average wear.

QFT!  It's been my thought all along.  Remember, they did this before with little to no input from the players.  Wouldn't be shocked for that to be the case again...

Edited by JunkyardAthletic

As a gamer collector, if it's like 1.0 even for a little bit in happy.  Edge 1.0 were like paper mache and showed great wear for a modern jersey.

8 hours ago, LAK74 said:

Upon taking a closer look you'll see that the crest on the LA jersey is very interesting.  You have the outer border white that is twill with the silver glitter merrow stitch, but then the inter part of the crest is the jersey panel itself.

You can also see how the "crown" sits ON TOP of the fabric and appears to be sewn down...

ANA

ARI

BOS

BUF

CAL

CAR

COL = can really see how the embroidery sits ON TOP of the jersey fabric and the maroon inner part of the crest.

CMB = you can see how they used the jersey material with the red on the inner part of the crest, however, most the crest is twill

DAL

DET = the crest is of the same material as the front jersey panel but sits on top of the panel, stitched down.

EDM = twill white circle with OILERS embroidery in navy. No idea about the oil drop

FLA = all twill with embroidery

MIN

NSH

NJD

NYI

NYR

OTT

PHI

SJ = not sure if it's the flash, but the teal looks lighter than previous...

STL

TB

VEG = the detail stitching on the black is tremendous

WSH

WPG

Edited by JunkyardAthletic

I think there would have to be a complete, solid piece of white twill as the crest base.  A piece of black airknit would go on top of that, with the silver merrowed border tacking down the edges of the black airknit piece.  At least that's how the WCOH crests appear to be constructed.

2 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

I think there would have to be a complete, solid piece of white twill as the crest base.  A piece of black airknit would go on top of that, with the silver merrowed border tacking down the edges of the black airknit piece.  At least that's how the WCOH crests appear to be constructed.

Could be right, however, this is more noticeable on the NJD jersey where the inner part of the crest is actually cut top to bottom, thus the embossed pattern in the material is running against the jersey panel's embossed pattern.

Remember boys, adidas will only be selling "authentics" because the replicas will be made by Fanatics. 

I remember early on in the 07-08 season seeing the player's jerseys just drenched with sweat. The dark ones really showed it. During the ice scraping breaks, I recall seeing guys drain out their gloves. I sit 4 rows from the ice in Cleveland (thank God for the affordable AHL prices). It was very noticeable how uncomfortable the guys were with those things. When what turned out to be the 2.0 showed up, I bought one immediately and posted those pictures here from my crappy Panasonic camera. I definitely agree with Brilliant and Junkyard that whatever material that they use will probably not last long.