2017-2018 Jersey Watch

CJ Matthews

1 hour ago, DJ Rhea said:

They're going to be the Indo's, hopefully ol' JB can get a hold of the Canadian ones. Personally I think he will. Adidas like making money, why wouldn't they?

Because they probably don't actually make a profit on the ones that go to the retail market.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

Because they probably don't actually make a profit on the ones that go to the retail market.

I dunno, materials are going to be what $20 at most, how long for a trained sewing machinist to knock it together? An hour at most. Not sure what Canada's minimum wage is. Plus the building is going to be open anyway for manufacture of jerseys for T.I.

3 hours ago, Zeshy25 said:

Just called and spoke to the NHL store in NYC. Said they will be getting some Adidas jerseys this week but, should get jerseys for all teams before the season starts. 

I asked if they would be getting  authentic jerseys and response was yes, they will have the top of the line authentics made-in-Canada.

Again, given that it seems most likely only the Indo-Adizero jerseys will be available for retail, I doubt the customer service rep knew the difference but, wanted to give a heads up on the timeline. 

Interesting. I wonder if they will have the customisation sorted out this time. Under Reebok that was somewhat inconsistent, being polite.

13 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

Could that be right? Even if they're made in Canada, there's no profit when selling for $400CAD?

edit - as above. 

Edited by SoNowWhat?

45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You're paying 20% more than everyone else. Take that, pudding pants. 

GAAHAHAAHAHAA!

17 minutes ago, DJ Rhea said:

I dunno, materials are going to be what $20 at most, how long for a trained sewing machinist to knock it together? An hour at most. Not sure what Canada's minimum wage is. Plus the building is going to be open anyway for manufacture of jerseys for T.I.

Considering how low initial/resale prices got on many Edge versions (even prior to the brand-switch liquidation), I can see the logic in not pushing a bunch of Made-in-Canadas to the market.  It also helps them keep the focus on the new Fanatics versions and limit confusion about which are the "authentic" jerseys.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

There's no way those jerseys cost $400 to make, US or Canadian. Are you kidding??

This is why I'm surprised to hear that teams are charged $400CAD per jersey. That just doesn't seem right to me. I'd expect Adidas would still make a healthy profit if selling into teams at half that price. 

I really don't know any details around this it just surprises me if that is the case. Doesn't seem to make any sense.

with the edge 2.0 I believe retail was at a 100% markup.  Since retail was roughly $350 that would mean wholesale would be around $175.

Im not smart enough to know what kind of profit companies make of wholesale prices but you can bet you a ss it costs less then $175 to make the Canadian jerseys

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

There's no way teams are paying retail price. 

I'd asked this question previously as I could not believe it either. Perhaps I misunderstood the response.

As stated: at least in Vancouver...

The team equipment manager buys direct from Adidas. They pay Adidas MSRP which was stated as $400 CAD per jersey. Anything they don't use is to be sold at the same MSRP ($400) to the public. Of course Adidas manufactures for much cheaper, but they are not selling them to anyone for less than MSRP. This information came from the team less than 72 hours ago, in person. No reason they would lie, but don't shoot the messenger. 

5 hours ago, chow_hound said:

As stated: at least in Vancouver...

The team equipment manager buys direct from Adidas. They pay Adidas MSRP which was stated as $400 CAD per jersey. Anything they don't use is to be sold at the same MSRP ($400) to the public. Of course Adidas manufactures for much cheaper, but they are not selling them to anyone for less than MSRP. This information came from the team less than 72 hours ago, in person. No reason they would lie, but don't shoot the messenger. 

Thank you. Not intending to "shoot you" at all. Glad to have the information. I still find it amazing that this is how it happens. 

4 hours ago, tomtucker said:

Teams buy their jerseys?

I thought they just got them for free, i mean reebok/adidas are the league supplier and are paid by the league, right?

Yeah teams buy them.

Noticed icejerseys is selling Canadiens practice jerseys.  Made in Indonesia unfortunately.  Did anybody confirm if the teams use made in Canada practice jerseys or not?

Practice Jersey

I'm not at all questioning the veracity of what chow_hound said, but I am wondering why it would make any economic sense at all for a team to even bother offering on-ice authentics to the public.  If it costs the team $400 CAD to buy a jersey, and they are forced to sell them at $400, then they aren't making even one cent profit on the sale.  For every on-ice jersey they sell, that could be one (or possibly more) less Indo jersey they might sell, which they would have made a profit on.

Edited by LAK74

12 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

Noticed icejerseys is selling Canadiens practice jerseys.  Made in Indonesia unfortunately.  Did anybody confirm if the teams use made in Canada practice jerseys or not?

Practice Jersey

What is that, a vinyl crest??

15 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

Practice Jersey

They do use made in Canada practice jerseys

49 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

For every on-ice jersey they sell, that could be one (or possibly more) less Indo jersey they might sell, which they would have made a profit on.

er4ym.gif

I think it's intentional.  Imagine how chapped the Reebok marketing folks were back during the Edge rollout.  The players hated the on-ice jerseys. For consumers, word got out pretty quick that Indos were just a cheap imitation. 

This time around, mandated MSRP would be an easy fix on the consumer side. 

Edited by furiousd

I'm sure this has been covered but the Chicago Blackhawks Team Store had a promotion for pre-order Adidas jerseys where they offered free customization. 

I asked if the jerseys would be made in Canada or On-Ice jerseys 

This was their response: 
" I want to say it will be similar to the past seasons where there are two different versions of authentic jerseys made by Adidas, the one that only the team receives through the NHL  that is more fitting to their needs for it on the ice, and then there is the retail version authentic (lighter less abrasive material) that is solely purposed for sale to the public and as fan apparel. The retail version is not made in Canada and usually the one you are talking about is only available through Canadian companies but are not in our possession to purchase/sell here at the arena. I have not seen what the team jerseys look like this year though so my facts are not 100% accurate.

Again, pretty sure this is what I have seen others post but I don't know if it was covered with Chicago team store

All the Leafs fans just shat themselves. 

Confession: I set aside sufficient funds to buy no more than two new Adizero Devils jerseys...then I promptly spent that money on discounted Edge jerseys. hobby!!