2017-2018 Jersey Watch

CJ Matthews

48 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Taylor Hall wearing the A tonight, is my newly ordered, yet to arrive jersey even less accurate now?

Signs point to a return. 

Oooooh. Are you an actual magic 8 ball!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I wonder what they mean. they do the on-ice jerseys, correct? Are they saying they don't use Adidas material for collectors, or they don't use it at all? Could they not be using the same material for plates on the game jerseys??

I assume by "matching" they only mean color. 

My best guess would be, in time, they'll all have the material. You may have to wait or suffer the inaccuracy.

Given that its an Indo anyway, accuracy may not be as great a concern for some. 

Starting a few years ago I believe, they had to switch the nameplates on the jerseys for the team to a non Edge plate because Reebok did not supply them with material fast enough. This lead to them not using Edge plates for customers either (which would be accurate I guess, depending on the player and year you were aiming for). After that, when they started getting Edge material back in, they found they weren't getting enough for both the team and customers so they started to keep it just for the players jerseys. That's what happens when Steiner sells six million sets of jerseys every season I guess. It would not surprise me if they don't have Adidas material yet for the teams jerseys, and it wouldn't surprise me even further that if they ever do get it in, that they save it for the team exclusively because of the slow and short supply.

9 hours ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

Also can confirm that the Devils jerseys are double tagged on the inside hem, confirming a different customizer which is Philly Express.

Get ready for twill nameplates and restrictive authentic jersey customization policies ?

36 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Get ready for twill nameplates and restrictive authentic jersey customization policies ?

Is that what they put on the on-ice jerseys or that's just what they do because they can?

What other kinds of restrictive authentic jersey customization policies?

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

I don't like the sound of that!!

14 hours ago, lhg39 said:

I pretty much exclusively use an iPad and I cannot get any pictures to post correctly.

Same,  iPhone mostly and the URL post feature turns out a blank post.

First world problems.

Just wanted to chime in regards to the misrepresentation of product that the NHL is doing - today I got my 4th or 5th email that says " Shop the Newest On-Ice Style Today "

That seems to me like it's murky territory that bends towards a bait and switch.  Further, saying " You may not prep for New York Rangers game days exactly like your favorite player, but your game day routines can have one awesome thing in common—proudly putting on a New York Rangers Authentic Custom Jersey from adidas " on the page insinuates it's the same jersey as the players wear.  I'm not sure I want to be the one leading some sort of lawsuit against them, but I think there's at least a legitimate case to be made.

1 minute ago, dte421 said:

Just wanted to chime in regards to the misrepresentation of product that the NHL is doing - today I got my 4th or 5th email that says " Shop the Newest On-Ice Style Today "

That seems to me like it's murky territory that bends towards a bait and switch.  Further, saying " You may not prep for New York Rangers game days exactly like your favorite player, but your game day routines can have one awesome thing in common—proudly putting on a New York Rangers Authentic Custom Jersey from adidas " on the page insinuates it's the same jersey as the players wear.  I'm not sure I want to be the one leading some sort of lawsuit against them, but I think there's at least a legitimate case to be made.

Its definitely a misrepresentation of what the players wear on the ice. "On-ice style" is probably ok, you could argue that they are the same "style" even if the country of manufacture and the construction/materials differ somewhat. 

But, when they follow it up with having something in common with the players in that you are putting on the same product, that gets a little further from the truth. You cannot argue that any NHL player is putting on an Indo jersey, so in that respect, its probably false. 

Yeah like I said, the first one is murky, and you can really go either way with it.  The 2nd bit is a flat out misrepresentation of product.

For comparison, the Nike Vapor Untouchable "Elite" Jerseys, which are the most expensive NFL jerseys, do not say anywhere the words "on field" or make any representation that these are what the players wear.  

The NBA doesn't even bother with "authentic" jerseys any more, so no comp there.

The NHL is the only league that is completely misrepresenting their most expensive products to their fans.  It's not exactly cool of them to do that.

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Its definitely a misrepresentation of what the players wear on the ice. "On-ice style" is probably ok, you could argue that they are the same "style" even if the country of manufacture and the construction/materials differ somewhat. 

But, when they follow it up with having something in common with the players in that you are putting on the same product, that gets a little further from the truth. You cannot argue that any NHL player is putting on an Indo jersey, so in that respect, its probably false. 

Except for that one time that Martin St. Louis did.

http://www.meigray.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2381&siId=6878993&catLevel=0&scLevel=&thisCatLevel=&oldParentID=&catParentID=4544&scId=4544

When the Coyotes moved to Phoenix in 1996, Starter produced retail authentic jerseys which were made in El Salvador and very different from the ones that were worn on the ice. The gamers, and replicas incidentally, had a straight shoulder yoke along the back, and shoulder patches away from the collars. The authentic jerseys Starter sold for the Coyotes had a shoulder yoke that came to a point and the patches were right up against the collar. I appreciate the passion that a lot of people have, but in perspective, this has been going on for years and probably will never change. At least the NHL somewhat tries to provide fans an "authentic" jersey. Many leagues, NFL in particular, don't. And how many "authentic" soccer jerseys are really made readily available to fans?  I don't really know that, so those that do can maybe chime in.

The Elite Untouchable jersey the NFL provides is closer to what the players wear on the field than the Adizero or Indo Edges are to what the players wear on the ice.  MLB sells the exact same jerseys the players wear to the fans.  The NBA used to, but they were so expensive (thanks again Adidas) that no one bought them - that coupled with the insane popularity of the Swingman line, had them taken off the market.  In terms of soccer, Adidas sells two types of "authentics," with the upper tier (usually retails for $150 or so) being the same the players wear on the pitch.  They do this for the top 20 or so clubs in the world, and for all the national teams they outfit.  The main reason fans prefer the cheaper authentics when it comes to soccer is because the on-field ones are MUCH slimmer cut than most people on the planet can fit into, and are worn much tighter than what fans wear for comfort.

So, in short, no, I'm not thanking the NHL for giving us garbage.

There is no God given right to buy or own an authentic jersey. If you don't like what they offer, save your money or buy a shirt or hoodie.

No, but there are laws which govern how you represent products, which is primarily my issue with the way the NHL runs this aspect of their business.

2 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Is that what they put on the on-ice jerseys or that's just what they do because they can?

What other kinds of restrictive authentic jersey customization policies?

The twill nameplates are what they use for the current home/away Flyers GW jerseys. I don't know why, other than maybe it's just easier. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a twill nameplate just feels yucky, IMO.

The restrictive authentic policies were touched on in the Flyers GW group, but I'll add it here for more visibility. You cannot send a jersey into Philly Express directly. They will not deal with anyone without a corporate account. The easiest way around this is to physically take your jersey into one of the Flyers Gear Zone stores that are inside of their Skate Zone facilities. It sounds like they will also take jerseys from the Wells Fargo team store too. Anyway, upside is that you save on shipping charges this way. Downside is that you need to be local. I do not know if this will be true for the Devils jerseys, but I can't see it being different. I do not know if you can ship jerseys to/from a Gear Zone.

Also, PX had been refusing to sew the Ed Snider patches to authentic/premier jerseys. So, it may be a one-time thing, but no telling what they may refuse to do in the future.  

All-in-all, not too terrible, but just more of an FYI for us collectors.

http://gearzone.flyersskatezone.com/

48 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

Life was so much easier when CCM sold the Semi-Pro 550 jerseys and Authentic 6100 jerseys.

I would say that the old CCM semi-pro are probably better quality then the "Authentic" Adizero jerseys now.

You are definitely right on the first part, and not having seen an Adidas jersey yet, I would say its more likely than not that you are right on the second part as well. 

Noticed last night the Leafs were not wearing the 100th anniversary patches on their road white jerseys.  Every other team I've seen so far has had them. 

They will be wearing the home blues tonight so lets see if these don't have it either.

18 hours ago, lhg39 said:

I ordered a white preseason. Screw this crap that Adidas and Fanatics are trying to sell us.

if you want on ice customization for the Rangers send it to Arena Wear. They do the on ice jerseys and their turnaround is usually less than 2 weeks.

I heard arena wear doesn't have the right plates. 

Nevermind. I kept reading. 

Edited by hatryk

39 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

The twill nameplates are what they use for the current home/away Flyers GW jerseys. I don't know why, other than maybe it's just easier. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a twill nameplate just feels yucky, IMO.

The restrictive authentic policies were touched on in the Flyers GW group, but I'll add it here for more visibility. You cannot send a jersey into Philly Express directly. They will not deal with anyone without a corporate account. The easiest way around this is to physically take your jersey into one of the Flyers Gear Zone stores that are inside of their Skate Zone facilities. It sounds like they will also take jerseys from the Wells Fargo team store too. Anyway, upside is that you save on shipping charges this way. Downside is that you need to be local. I do not know if this will be true for the Devils jerseys, but I can't see it being different. I do not know if you can ship jerseys to/from a Gear Zone.

Also, PX had been refusing to sew the Ed Snider patches to authentic/premier jerseys. So, it may be a one-time thing, but no telling what they may refuse to do in the future.  

All-in-all, not too terrible, but just more of an FYI for us collectors.

http://gearzone.flyersskatezone.com/

I ship to the Gear Zone all the time from Buffalo, NY so I can definitely confirm that they take mail-in orders. Can also confirm the Snider patch thing.

39 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

Noticed last night the Leafs were not wearing the 100th anniversary patches on their road white jerseys.  Every other team I've seen so far has had them. 

They will be wearing the home blues tonight so lets see if these don't have it either.

Rangers aren't wearing the 100 patches either for preseason.

12 hours ago, CJ Matthews said:

Starting a few years ago I believe, they had to switch the nameplates on the jerseys for the team to a non Edge plate because Reebok did not supply them with material fast enough. This lead to them not using Edge plates for customers either (which would be accurate I guess, depending on the player and year you were aiming for). After that, when they started getting Edge material back in, they found they weren't getting enough for both the team and customers so they started to keep it just for the players jerseys. That's what happens when Steiner sells six million sets of jerseys every season I guess. It would not surprise me if they don't have Adidas material yet for the teams jerseys, and it wouldn't surprise me even further that if they ever do get it in, that they save it for the team exclusively because of the slow and short supply.

I have many Rangers jerseys from the past several years including game worn, authentic customized by Arena Wear and authentic customized by Cool Hockey. I honestly cannot tell the difference in the nameplate material between the jerseys. You have to have really good eyes and be extremely anal tomhave an issue with this.