Does MeiGray ever negotiate on the pricing of their non-consignment offerings?

TheKevinShow

I know that if it's on consignment, they can give an offer to the owner and see what they think, but I've got my eye on something in their clearance section and while it is only $150, I'd like to see if there's any room there for dropping the price. So, has anyone had any luck with asking them to negotiate the price on a non-consignment listing?

I've done it successfully before, but I doubt they would budge much on a clearance item.  Doesn't hurt to try, though.

That was my thought as well. I mean, it's only $150 and the worst that happens if I ask is they say no. They won't jack up the price for me asking. 

For clearance items they typically don't really entertain offers.

On in-stock non-consignment items they do, but the amount they will take off depends on how long they have been sitting down there.

Was it one of the Devils ultrafils

I've given up on making offers with them. They don't operate based in logic on those. I've literally gotten the response from them before, in regards to making an offer close to the normal Summer/Holiday sale price that "more often than not, items sell for full price after sales."

They're honestly very frustrating to negotiate with.

16 minutes ago, dsl135 said:

I've given up on making offers with them. They don't operate based in logic on those. I've literally gotten the response from them before, in regards to making an offer close to the normal Summer/Holiday sale price that "more often than not, items sell for full price after sales."

There are collectors who have dealt with them on a dollar for dollar basis who will tell you meigray can be known to have a mindset where they would rather see the item rot. It must be nice to be able to sit on inventory for 10+ years. 

Edited by RedWings1992

9 minutes ago, dsl135 said:

That was my experience as well. Made an offer in ~2014 for an AHL jersey that had gone through multiple 50% off and BOGO sales, and they refused to get to those prices.

20 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Was it one of the Devils ultrafils

I asked if they could discount a purchase of three of them, the answer was no.

Edited by mfitz804

I have always found in my experience Meigray to be pretty willing to work with me on price.  Then again I am there a lot so maybe it is because they fear me.

41 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I have always found in my experience Meigray to be pretty willing to work with me on price.  Then again I am there a lot so maybe it is because they fear me.

Cost of doing business vs. cost of another restraining order. 

1 hour ago, dsl135 said:

I have had the same experience. Whatever I would offer, and I always made reasonable offers of more than Summer sale prices, they would come back somewhere in between. As such, I have given up on making offers and only buy during sales, for the most part. Maybe the strategy is to make a low offer, and then the counter may be better. Whenever I have made a reasonable offer the counter was way too high.

i don't like haggling. I like department store shopping.