Bandwagon fans

AParrotLooksAt40

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I was chatting with a friend about this in regards to Hawks (and now Cubs) fans and the added bandwagon fans of late.

We all have that moment when we connect with a team, whether it's growing up in a hockey-watching(or other sport) household, a friend brings us to a game, or our hometown team is on fire and it's exciting. I grew up going to Cubs games, watching the Bears, but my home was never Hawks focused. I moved to Fort Wayne, IN for a few years, went to a Komets game or two and watched from afar as my hometown team (Hawks) began dominating. 

Always enjoyed watching hockey, obviously still do, and having a team with a long history in this city is a great thing.

So, when does one stop being a bandwagon fan, if they did in fact jump on during the success of their team?

obviously they can be obnoxious and partly cause ticket prices to skyrocket, but some are just normal people getting into something new that they may have not been exposed to. 

Im a musician who goes to tons of small shows for bands every time they're in town, but at some point I still have to admit that new fans during times of success is a good thing for artists, teams, etc.

so what differentiates a new fan from a bandwagon fan?

thoughts?

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40

My 2 cents. 

A bandwagon fan is when you only show up because the team is winning. 

I think the label will stick until the team is really bad again and see we who still shows up.
This will be tested with the Blackhawks soon.

42 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

My 2 cents. 

A bandwagon fan is when you only show up because the team is winning. 

I think the label will stick until the team is really bad again and see we who still shows up.
This will be tested with the Blackhawks soon.

100% this. If you come on board at the time the team is winning, you might be called a bandwagon fan, but that classification drops when you stand by your team when they start to suck again, and show that you're a true fan.

Those that disappear at the time, simply prove that they were deserving of the classification all along.

I would agree with that.

sadly (for Hawks fans) it looks like we might have a few years ahead of us of testing fandom if we can't figure out how to win with what we have left.