NHL Network

SabreFaninNYC

I created this thread in case anyone wanted to put their 2 cents in about the channel over the course of the season.

As for me, Comcast was supposed to have it going October 1st, 2007 and YET, it has not shown up on my digital package. This is all rather par for the course as the NHL does a LOUSY job in letting anyone know what is going on with its product. Exhibit A) NHLN- what channels is it on, what cable systems? This is a major roll out, you don't think the NFL told everyone where the NFL Network's deal is? Exhibit B) The NHL Store in NYC. Supposed to open in October. The other day I found out its opening on the 12th with a Fan Fest thing on the 9th. What is this Fan Fest thing? Where will it be held? Why does the NHL website have nothing about the store?

And so forth....

• 2 weeks later...

Reports have been coming in from various markets that Comcast is sporadically adding the NHL Network to cable channels but still nothing for me in Jersey. Have any of you (non-Canuckers) seen this channel yet at your locales? Is it any good?

Reports have been coming in from various markets that Comcast is sporadically adding the NHL Network to cable channels but still nothing for me in Jersey. Have any of you (non-Canuckers) seen this channel yet at your locales? Is it any good?

Not lucky enough for Time Warner to carry it. I have contacted both my local office and the Time Warner offices and they said they are looking to add new channels but at this time are not looking to add the NHL Network.

Here's an update from Saint Petersburg, Florida. We have Bright House Networks cable, and here it's digital channel 808, conveniently located between CSTV (some college sports tv station, I think), and the DVR playback channel. I guess I should be thankful I'm getting it, but you'd think they'd put it down with the other sports stuff.... I only flipped it on for a second so far and it was on a commercial break, with ads for a Penguins highlights DVD and something else I couldn't remember.

I'll watch it for you guys and let you know whats up. Lemme know if you want me to look for anything in particular.

I'll watch it for you guys and let you know whats up. Lemme know if you want me to look for anything in particular.

Thanks TBL! I think I am most interested in what else is on that channel. I stayed up to watch On The Fly at 1am after the playoffs so I am acquainted with that show but really don't know what else is on there.

Got it yesterday! It's awesome. I was watching Game 7 of Montreal and Boston in the 1979 Semi-Finals last night and right now Edmonton-Philly from the 1987 Cup Finals is on. Good stuff.

Got it yesterday! It's awesome. I was watching Game 7 of Montreal and Boston in the 1979 Semi-Finals last night and right now Edmonton-Philly from the 1987 Cup Finals is on. Good stuff.

Hmmm, sounds like good stuff, I still have no idea if its on here in NYC but I will check when I get home from work.

It might depend on what cable provider you have. I have Cablevision down here in Jersey and it's on channel 401.

Right now I'm watching Buffalo and Montreal from the 1991 Adams Division Semi-Finals. I LOVE this channel!

I checked Comcast and they finally have the channel up but surprise, surprise its on a premium sports tier for 5 bucks more a month. Considering what I pay per month for cable and CI I don't feel like giving Comcast 5 more dollars....

I checked Comcast and they finally have the channel up but surprise, surprise its on a premium sports tier for 5 bucks more a month. Considering what I pay per month for cable and CI I don't feel like giving Comcast 5 more dollars....

Ah Commie-cast. They're great, aren't they? When they're not port blocking and bandwidth throttling their internet service (or suffering from chronic outages), they're screwin' ya with their tiers and ridiculous pricing schemes.

I had them when I lived in Tallahassee for college. Made me love my Brighthouse here in St. Pete even more.

As for the channel, I too love it. It's a little repetitive on the commercials (Hockey Fights Cancer, "Don't give up....don't give up....."), but the shows are pretty nice, and the replays of games are a blast to relive. With programming like this, I'm sure it won't last long. What? Yeah, that's my guess, the NHL Network is great, but I don't see it getting the viewership to make it last. It depresses me to see how great it could be, and know it probably is never gonna last.

Or am I being overly pessimistic?

Or am I being overly pessimistic?

How can you not be considering how the NHL handles its media? However, I think it can get to the point like the NFL Network which is a nice blend of old games and current programming. Of course, this is purely speculation as I refuse to kick in the extra 5 bucks. I did see that On The Fly was being shown for like 3 hours during gametime. Is that 3 hours of continuous programming or 1 hour played 3 times?

• 3 months later...

I just wish I could get it. Cox Digital Cable is one of the providers that has been given the OK to carry NHLN and they haven't in Phoenix. I've emailed Cox, they just send an acknowledgment response back. I call them and the person on the phone thinks it's the Center Ice package, which it is not, I have that already and it's not tied in, nor is supposed to be. If they tied it in with the extra tier I pay for that has NFL Network, I would be content. I hate these ads I see at the arena telling me to, 'contact your cable provider to get NHL Network' . I did already! :angry:

At work, our breakroom is wired for DirecTV, they have it, I've seen it, I want it, but I'm not going to go thru the hassle to switch to DirecTV for it.