Suggestions for closet storage

To put the situation succinctly, I am running low on space. The situation isn't quite as dire for the half closet I'm using for my authentics, but my replica closet is filled to the brim and I'm going to have to try pretty hard to get the two Bruins replicas Keener did for me back in there. I've tried Wonder Hangers. While they do support the weight of five jerseys, be they blank replicas all the way up to fully-customized gamers, they just take up too much space. They don't save me all that much space compared to just having the hangers on the closet rods.

I'm at a loss here. What should I do?

There are no simple answers here. I haven't found a single answer short of "have less jerseys", which as we all know, is not a viable option. So I give you some of my favorite humorous answers. 

1) Throw out your work clothes to make more room for jerseys. 

2) Take over your wife's closet. She has "nothing to wear" anyway. 

3) Do you really need a "linen closet"? Ain't nothing in there linen anyway. Throw a closet rod in there. 

4) Do you have a coat closet? Have less coats, and you'll have more closet. 

I have tried those "wonder hangers" for jerseys and for real clothes; they accomplish nothing, in my opinion. Plus, you lose space at the bottom of the closet as well because everything hangs lower. 

Short of gaining more closet space or selling some jerseys, my suggestion is to fold and put in storage any jerseys you aren't actively wearing.  The 18 gallon rubbermaid storage bins will hold a bunch of jerseys.  Fold them nice and neat, stick them in linen bags and put them somewhere else.

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

Short of gaining more closet space or selling some jerseys, my suggestion is to fold and put in storage any jerseys you aren't actively wearing.  The 18 gallon rubbermaid storage bins will hold a bunch of jerseys.  Fold them nice and neat, stick them in linen bags and put them somewhere else.

Now that's how you clean out a linen closet!!!

One thing I considered doing was removing the top shelf of my closet and putting another bar high across the top, like ceiling height. I would need one of those poles with the hook on it that they use in clothing stores or a stepladder to get them down, but it would essentially double my space. Even with the stuff I have in the top shelf (all storage, could be put in the attic), there's about 18-24 inches of dead space at the top that I feel like I should be using. 

But alas, by my measurements, the ceiling is about 6 inches too low to make that plan viable. I could lower the existing bar, of course, but then I would lose the space below where my shoes go. 

Something I may re-visit one day with one of those custom closet builders, but for now, it's just stick as many in the closet as possible. 

I'm very "out of sight, out of mind," so storage bins would be the final admission that I have way too many. I know I would forget about them.

I treat my closet bar like those rolling records shelves. They're packed in, and I kind of Moses them apart when I want to pull one out.

automatic-aisle-lock-ft-hood-darnall-hos

7 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Wow, that's a lot of money for some MDF and hinges.

I'm guessing there are cheaper things available. Before we renovated, we lacked closet space and bought one half the size of the one I linked for $65 at Home Depot. It worked perfectly as a coat closet hidden in our laundry room for years. 

But, the cheaper they are, the less attractive they are and the less likely your significant other will want it in "their" house.

4 hours ago, jsh139 said:

You could always just rent a warehouse. 

AxHGHW9.jpg

tfl2KqE.jpg

If I ever win the lottery, that's the plan, because I'm going to buy MeiGray's entire NHL inventory. 

2 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

If I ever win the lottery, that's the plan, because I'm going to buy MeiGray's entire NHL inventory. 

I'd buy an island. Or maybe Comcast. 

• 2 months later...