Fanatics’ Raphael Peck Talks League Deals

JunkyardAthletic

Gracious, many, many uses of business school buzzwords in this interview. I felt like I was reading a Wall Street analyst's report. 

I see the 'skinny jeans" equivalent of jerseys coming out of this. 

The Fanatics empire is a well-run machine and knows how to make money, and they've clearly done the research on the largest volume segment of jersey buyers. However, that does not necessarily include us and our 'specialzied' tastes ;) 

49 minutes ago, SnakeOiler12 said:

Gracious, many, many uses of business school buzzwords in this interview. I felt like I was reading a Wall Street analyst's report. 

I see the 'skinny jeans" equivalent of jerseys coming out of this. 

The Fanatics empire is a well-run machine and knows how to make money, and they've clearly done the research on the largest volume segment of jersey buyers. However, that does not necessarily include us and our 'specialzied' tastes ;) 

I liked that our specialized tastes were specifically called out as everything these new fan jerseys are not.

2 hours ago, furiousd said:

I liked that our specialized tastes were specifically called out as everything these new fan jerseys are not.

That's what I was thinking too.

Also, who the fvck are these 15,000 fans they asked about for feedback regarding the new Breakaway jerseys?  Did they purposely pick out people with the dumbest complaints and took them seriously?  Is being able to fold them like a t-shirt that big of a problem?  Also, who has that big of a problem folding these anyways?  And people are also complaining that it has to be hung up?  Who the hell are these people?

Really wish that they maybe at least a few people out of the supposedly thousands they asked knew what the fvck they were talking about.

Edited by Devilsguy

Excellent question. Given their role as an eCommerce leader in licensed apparel, they likely did online surveying of customers to their site via an online survey tool such as Foresee or the like (see his obligatory "big data" reference). Likely people who bought replicas or Indos, or had put them in their cart and abandoned without purchasing, etc, etc). 

Personally, fit is absolutely a huge issue. And as someone who will probably buy one of the jerseys for going to games, watching at the bar, etc, this makes me very excited. 

Its 2017. Tailored clothes are everywhere, I'm not at all surprised by this feedback. To be clear, tailored doesn't mean skinny or tight. It means it fits properly. And to be quite honest, if the fit is anything similar to how NFL jerseys are after Nike took over, this is a big step forward. 

Edited by orangecrush8

1 hour ago, orangecrush8 said:

And to be quite honest, if the fit is anything similar to how NFL jerseys are after Nike took over, this is a big step forward. 

IMG_5927.JPG

I guess the Nike NFL jerseys look cool and trendy but they fit awkwardly in the armpit area. I can't raise my arms without the bottom hem coming up above my belly button. Same fit as the 2014 Nike Olympic hockey jerseys. Hated it.  

Painful to read, due to content and, more significantly, vocabulary.

10 hours ago, SnakeOiler12 said:

Excellent question. Given their role as an eCommerce leader in licensed apparel, they likely did online surveying of customers to their site via an online survey tool such as Foresee or the like (see his obligatory "big data" reference). Likely people who bought replicas or Indos, or had put them in their cart and abandoned without purchasing, etc, etc). 

That's probably the case and I can imagine out of those 15,000+ responses, they had to throw away a vast majority of them due to the fact that often these surveys tend to be clicked through by people who just want to get rid of that pop-up or just don't care.

I'm surprised they didn't mention the most glaring issue with these replica jerseys. The PRICE. $100+ for a replica that looks, wears and feels like garbage? What in the F.  Let's do something about that. 

That is also a big issue.  At the prices I see being thrown around for these (as well as the Reebok premiers) they might as well just direct people to AliExpress and those other knockoff sites.

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

I'm surprised they didn't mention the most glaring issue with these replica jerseys. The PRICE. $100+ for a replica that looks, wears and feels like garbage? What in the F.  Let's do something about that. 

I expect that. It sometimes costs $80 for a hoodie with cheap graphics. $35 for a licensed tshirt... it is what it is. It makes the price of a $250 authentic reasonable, to me at least. It's the reason I started buying jerseys. They last longer than a couple seasons.

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40

Does the phrase "Suck it Fanatics" fit into this conversation?  

On 8/2/2017 at 11:52 AM, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

I expect that. It sometimes costs $80 for a hoodie with cheap graphics. $35 for a licensed tshirt... it is what it is. It makes the price of a $250 authentic reasonable, to me at least. It's the reason I started buying jerseys. They last longer than a couple seasons.

It's also the reason I have been avoiding the newer replicas.  To spend that kind of money for something that doesn't last more than a few seasons is irritating.  I have a friend that has a Koho replica that is about 15 years old.  He wears it to every game he goes to (about 3-4 per year).  Aside from the back numbers twill fraying a bit, it looks brand new.  I have another friend who has a Reebok Premier that's about 5 years old.  He wears it as much as the other friend and is gentle with his things.  His jersey looks like someone ran over it with a truck. 

Price was about the same for the two shirts.  It just doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

It's also the reason I have been avoiding the newer replicas.  To spend that kind of money for something that doesn't last more than a few seasons is irritating.  I have a friend that has a Koho replica that is about 15 years old.  He wears it to every game he goes to (about 3-4 per year).  Aside from the back numbers twill fraying a bit, it looks brand new.  I have another friend who has a Reebok Premier that's about 5 years old.  He wears it as much as the other friend and is gentle with his things.  His jersey looks like someone ran over it with a truck. 

Price was about the same for the two shirts.  It just doesn't make sense.

Not at all. I've seen the black third hawks premiers in bars around here and they just look faded and terrible after a while. They're just too cheap...but from a consumer standpoint of "get it now" disposable goods, they make a ton of sense especially from a retailer standpoint.

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40

My 2 cents on the whole "fit" thing. I want my jersey to fit me as if I were going to wear it in a game ie. I could wear pads under it. Or if it's a game worn/issued that it fits someone of a similar build to me. That's all part the authenticity of the experience and it isn't too difficult to find jerseys of that size for me. I understand YMMV. I just can't stand them being too tight. But, each to their own I guess. Jury's out on all of the new range for now. Will give it a little time to see how things pan out and how many players can put their heads right through a jersey panel instead of the neck hole. It is called a neck hole right?

The good news is I will have more money for Ultrafil.