How do you feel about getting a jersey done with a player's "rookie number"?

shilenj

I know everyone has different opinions and preferences but I was just wondering how you guys feel about getting a jersey done with a player's "rookie number".  For example, Brett Pesce of the Hurricanes came into the League wearing No. 54 in 2015-2016.  After completion of his rookie season, he changed his number to No. 22 the following offseason after he had cemented himself as an NHL'er.

The reason I ask is because I want to do up a William Nylander Leafs Home.  Nylander has a bit of a unique situation though.  He made his NHL debut in 2015-2016 and wore No. 39.  However, since he didn't play in 25 games that season, his rookie season wasn't technically until this past season, when he wore No. 29 and the Leafs wore new jerseys.

I'm feeling like I want to go with the 2015-2016 No. 39, even though he only played 22 games in that jersey because it was the jersey he wore during the season he debuted in the NHL even though his real rookie season wasn't until the following year with a new number.  It was still the jersey he wore in his first taste of NHL action.

I know there's no right or wrong answer but I just wanted to see what you all think of those "rookie numbers".  Personally, especially if you followed the player and/or liked him before he got to the NHL, I think having his first number is kind of cool.  It's definitely more unique and might signify you liked the player before his career really got started, which would feel especially nice if the player became a good one.

How do you feel about this?  No doubt some people hate those ugly, high numbers.  Again, I personally think they're more unique and definitely rarer to see, so I don't mind them.  Some, however, probably want the current number of the player instead of an old one that likely looks less appealing to most.  I can see both sides.

Edited by shilenj

I think that because he wore 39 with the old style of jersey and 29 with the new style you're all good. 

Just as long as you don't put 39 on the new ones... TMLFAN might come and get you

1 hour ago, AlereFlammam said:

I think that because he wore 39 with the old style of jersey and 29 with the new style you're all good. 

Just as long as you don't put 39 on the new ones... TMLFAN might come and get you

Yup. If I was to do it I'd really just want the right jersey and number for a given season. Wouldn't feel quite right otherwise. 

1 hour ago, AlereFlammam said:

Yes, I am here to protect all Maple Leafs jerseys from needless jersey fouls.

your good on the old style jersey with 39.  I had that exact jersey for a while.  He might not have played enough games to be considered a rookie but it is the first jersey he wore as a Leaf.

I think its fine, and if you collect one specific player, arguably its necessary for your collection to be "complete". 

49 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Brodeur #29 on a 2.0 Retro. Foul or no foul?

(You're fine, OP. I like rookie numbers, myself.)

But what if he gets traded? Lol

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

Brodeur #29 on a 2.0 Retro. Foul or no foul?

(You're fine, OP. I like rookie numbers, myself.)

Somewhere in one of these threads I think I told everyone that if they put a #29 on an Edge jersey, they have to provide me their address so I can come punch them in the balls. 

And, I already have your address. ;)

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Somewhere in one of these threads I think I told everyone that if they put a #29 on an Edge jersey, they have to provide me their address so I can come punch them in the balls. 

You're very far away, but I don't doubt your resolve.

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

:lol::lol::lol:

4 hours ago, guam64 said:

If the jersey already has a Leafs logo it's already a jersey foul so nothing else you put on it can ruin it.

tenor.gif

6 hours ago, guam64 said:

If the jersey already has a Leafs logo it's already a jersey foul so nothing else you put on it can ruin it.

Never forget

68caps-607x372.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses everyone.  Of course, I would never get a number that doesn't match the jersey!  That's the type of thing that'd make many of us around here cringe.