What is the most money, time, & effort you have put into a single jersey?

Zeshy25

So last year I finally got a grail jersey (Rangers White ProPlayer in size 48) which is the only one I've seen in the last 4 years. Just got it back from EPS done as Nedved but, now I want to switch it to a Richter or a Leetch which got me thinking...

What single jersey have you invested the most money, time, and effort into (i.e. stripped and customized then re-stripped & re-customized, chase down hard-to-find patches, waited forever for EPS, etc)? Are you "pot-committed" to said jersey? 

Thought it would be interesting to hear everyone's stories.

Mine is also a Pro Player, a red Devils Niedermayer. I paid top dollar for it because 56's are hard to find (I later found several others, but at the time that was step only one I had seen). I then sold it at a loss, and then re-acquired it for what i sold it for. 

It came to my attention later that the name font was not 100% accurate, so I stripped the nameplate and sent it to EPS to be re-done. I also stripped the 2000 SCF patch (which was a replica) because whomever sewed it on did so with the hard backing in place, which was annoying. I figured while EPS was doing the nameplate, I would just buy and send them a new SCF patch without the backing. 

Obviously this could have been WAY worse, but I paid a lot for it and then wound up investing more money to correct it. 

In terms of straight up dollar amount, I paid $425 for one customized authentic that was pretty rare. I decided it didn't fit my collection so I sold it, for $425. No harm, no foul. 

There was also a Devils Ultrafil that I stripped completely (including the crest) to try to make a Utica Devils. There was so much residue I couldn't make it the player I wanted so ultimately I sold that one too. I think I broke mostly even, maybe lost a couple bucks, but I do have the regret of having butchered a size 56 Ultrafil that I wish I still had intact.

In terms of authentic, about $250-ish.

Edited by Devilsguy

$425 for a John Tavares inaugural year in Brooklyn third jersey. Cant believe I paid Baron's MSRP + patches + customization + return shipping. Brutal.

Gamers: Unfortunately, Tavares is also the most expensive gamer I bought, by a lot. In 14/15, the Islanders tacked on an extra 25% because they wore the Set 3s during the playoffs. Only reason why I bought it was because it was the last worn Tavares jersey at the Coliseum and I saved up the entire season for it/graduation present to myself.

Edited by NYIJM29

For an authentic, I've gone north of $400 for an authentic.  When I collected game worn jerseys, I spent more than $1200 for one. My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) saw that PayPal transaction and just about killed me.  I had to show her all the other jerseys I sold so I could "afford" to spend that much.  This was true, I sold like 5 other low end gamers to get enough money to purchase the one I wanted, but that didn't go over well for a few days there.

My TI 2017 SCF Penguins Kessel.

The jersey plus the NHL 100th anniversary patch was $350 from Jersey Baron. The Penguins 50th anniversary patch and the 2017 SCF patch was $22.90 from Patch Collection. It cost me an additional $10 to get an Edge nameplate from JB since Pro Knitwear was out of them. Customization was $137.25 including shipping. I don't recall how much it cost me to ship the jersey (and the Edge nameplate since I had to ship it separately) to Pro Knitwear.

In all, close to $550 on that jersey.

14 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

My TI 2017 SCF Penguins Kessel.

In all, close to $550 on that jersey.

Now we're getting somewhere.  That's a lot of hotdogs!

I guess I've paid full JB retail + customizing on a couple Edge Hawks, which approaches 400.  But as to the original topic, I'll never again pay top dollar for a jersey that I know needs to be fixed.  I did that once or twice a looong time ago and decided it wasn't my bag. 

1 hour ago, mdwsta4 said:

I'm going to say this one....

DSCF90402-vi.jpg

$1000? 

Btw, wouldn't have the balls to do that, but that's a great project fan jersey. 

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40

Before the Baron was known to me (and even when I discovered him I don't think he had these yet) I found an authentic Rangers Winter Classic jersey in my size (46) in Cosbys. $500. Before customizing. This was in the spring after they played the game. 

Hey, where the heck have you been?  Nice to see you back!

I picked up a game issued Pens 16/17 SCF from Joe Tomen.

Garrett Wilson (fringe to very fringe if you're wondering) but, I couldn't go higher. $950. I'm sweating even as I type that not least because of the exchange rate and international shipping. It's a thing of beauty in my eyes though and I didn't buy it as an investment. I just wanted one and it brings me joy every time I look at it. 

And I now follow Garrett's career as closely as possible which I see as a bonus.

Edited by SoNowWhat?

There was a purple King’s carter jersey I had at one point. Paid $350 for the jersey, then $60 for customizing. 

Sold it on eBay for $400 to a new user with 0 feedback. Shipped UPS with full insurance on it from canada to the US. Guy refused the package because duty would be $150. I had to refund the money, pay the $150 in duty into the US and $150 in duty to bring it back into Canada otherwise UPS would have “abandoned” the package

Eventually sold it again to some one for $200 just to get rid of it and the bad taste in my mouth. 

Edited by AlereFlammam

I spent 700 on a grail jersey. Fortunately the jersey was already customized.  I have yet to see another one come up for auction on ebay.  I overpaid by a little but had to have it.

23 hours ago, LAK74 said:

Hey, where the heck have you been?  Nice to see you back!

Thanks! Actually I've been on a break from jerseys and started focusing on my guitars. Only so much cash to spread around lol. 

4 hours ago, redwingsdownunder said:

1991-1992 TBTC Yzerman from someone here. It was 'expensive' as the exchange rate for AUD was ungood, but worth it. 

"Ungood" love it. We had a period of joy not so long ago on exchange but not sure if that will come again. 

My latest Barber pole Hawks comes to mind.  Bough on Facebook from a guy who didn't want to move it. I made an offer and he said ok.  I knew the customization was off and i would be stripping and sending it to Keener.  So I paid Way to much knowing it would be stripped and redone.Way to much to buy to be stripping any jersey but I couldn't resist . It was a 52 and those never come up.  But in the end it turned out perfect!!

I don't think Matt's story counts :P
There are a lot of people that would buy his jersey for more than he's put into it. 

(let me know when you are selling it :D