Sabres Thread

Well then let me be the first to welcome you to the club...the club of teams who won the Presidents' Trophy one year and missed the playoffs the next. It's so exclusive, there's only two members!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then let me be the first to welcome you to the club...the club of teams who won the Presidents' Trophy one year and missed the playoffs the next. It's so exclusive, there's only two members!

Now lets see if Buffalo can imitate the next years Rangers team and win the President's trophy again.

It wasn't called the President's Trophy at the time but in 1968/1969 the Canadiens had the NHL's best record then in 1969/1970 they missed the playoffs as well. The Canadiens would win the Cup in 1970/1971.

So based on history, the Sabres should be the favorites to win the Cup next year.

It wasn't called the President's Trophy at the time but in 1968/1969 the Canadiens had the NHL's best record then in 1969/1970 they missed the playoffs as well. The Canadiens would win the Cup in 1970/1971.

So based on history, the Sabres should be the favorites to win the Cup next year.

I am liking this historical precedent! :thumbsup:

However, the Sabres really need to make some moves in the offseason to have a legit shot at the Cup. Chief among them, get rid of 61 and the two K's and get some dmen. That's my 2 cents.

I am liking this historical precedent! :thumbsup:

However, the Sabres really need to make some moves in the offseason to have a legit shot at the Cup. Chief among them, get rid of 61 and the two K's and get some dmen. That's my 2 cents.

I have to agree with you on Max, I saw the other night he only has what 10 goals on the season? I like the guy, but its insane seeing someone with that kind of talent not be able to finish.

I have to agree with you on Max, I saw the other night he only has what 10 goals on the season? I like the guy, but its insane seeing someone with that kind of talent not be able to finish.

Sabs fans always call him all flash and no finish (usually in conjunction with his last name). I wanted him gone after last season and will be happy to see him go. A "superstar" who has been benched multiple times over the last few years is not someone I want on my team. The real question is can the Sabs get any value from him and the answer is probably not. He also "magically" got healthy right after the trade deadline which infuriated me to no end. The Sabs DESPERATELY need Dmen and a credible backup goalie. Will this happen? Not with this regime methinks.

And now it is official, Buffalo is out.

No surprise there. From the very start of the season (remember those Isles games?) this looked like a team in trouble, its just frustrating to see a team with talent like the Sabres have completely miss the playoffs. Maybe trading away 51 was the white flag that no one recognized.

Sabs fans always call him all flash and no finish (usually in conjunction with his last name). I wanted him gone after last season and will be happy to see him go. A "superstar" who has been benched multiple times over the last few years is not someone I want on my team. The real question is can the Sabs get any value from him and the answer is probably not. He also "magically" got healthy right after the trade deadline which infuriated me to no end. The Sabs DESPERATELY need Dmen and a credible backup goalie. Will this happen? Not with this regime methinks.

I've heard rumors about them losing Miller after next season and if that happens, then Quinn has got to go (of course the Sabres fans may already be calling for that). I tend to think they could've resigned Campbell and the way they handled the Briere and Drury negotiations had me wondering. They have too much talent in there to throw away their chances. Getting Bernier was a good move, but there's still a lot of work to do. That's too bad too, they weren't far off last season. Thibault played vs. the Coyotes when I went and well...they need that backup badly. He was a sieve that day.

I've heard rumors about them losing Miller after next season and if that happens, then Quinn has got to go (of course the Sabres fans may already be calling for that). I tend to think they could've resigned Campbell and the way they handled the Briere and Drury negotiations had me wondering. They have too much talent in there to throw away their chances. Getting Bernier was a good move, but there's still a lot of work to do. That's too bad too, they weren't far off last season. Thibault played vs. the Coyotes when I went and well...they need that backup badly. He was a sieve that day.

No question Thibby has to go. The Sabs brass was on the other day saying the resigning of Miller was a top priority. Let's see if that is actually the case.

No question Thibby has to go. The Sabs brass was on the other day saying the resigning of Miller was a top priority. Let's see if that is actually the case.

Yeah, can't remember where I saw it but it said that the Sabres said their top priorities were signing Miller and Pominville. Don't have a lot in the way of free agents this year but they do have some holes to fill.

• 3 months later...

Miller re-signed! Whoo hoo 5 years and a decent price. Is this the line in the sand regarding RFA's and UFA's by the Sabs brass? One can only hope so.

Miller re-signed! Whoo hoo 5 years and a decent price. Is this the line in the sand regarding RFA's and UFA's by the Sabs brass? One can only hope so.

Just read this myself, very glad that they got him locked up. Was reading so much stuff about him possibly returning home to Michigan next offseason to sign with the Red Wings, glad that isn't gonna happen now. Next they still need to find a way to deal Max and re-sign Pomminville, that and still try and improve the defense for this season.

I was thrilled they resigned him. I was VERY worried with their track records on their free agents about him going to the Wings and that was the last thing I wanted to see.

Lafountain, what do you think of the Rivet and Lalime signings?

Rivet was a good pickup, considering the teams defensive needs they needed to do something, and if they couldn't do it in free agency then a trade was the way to go. Lalime was an interesting signing, the Sabres seem pretty content on having aging veterans as their backup goalie and since Miller is probably gonna play 65-70 games again Lalime is a solid enough option for those last 12-17 games. 1 million a year for 2 years isn't salary cap suicide either so they got him for a decent price. As long as he is content to be a backup, things will be fine in net.

Rivet was a good pickup, considering the teams defensive needs they needed to do something, and if they couldn't do it in free agency then a trade was the way to go. Lalime was an interesting signing, the Sabres seem pretty content on having aging veterans as their backup goalie and since Miller is probably gonna play 65-70 games again Lalime is a solid enough option for those last 12-17 games. 1 million a year for 2 years isn't salary cap suicide either so they got him for a decent price. As long as he is content to be a backup, things will be fine in net.

I kinda hated to see San Jose get rid of him for their sake, he's really impressed me overall whenever I've seen him play. They have a helluva player in Vlasic. I think the Sabres will find Rivet will be a good one for them.

I don't know if Lalime would be the guy to be the starter anymore. I was surprised they got Thibault last year, Noronen probably would've been a better option with the way Thibault looked whenever I saw him play.

Next they still need to find a way to deal Max and re-sign Pomminville, that and still try and improve the defense for this season.

Sadly, it sounds like there is no market for Max and they will keep him on. Posters over at LGS are trying to console themselves by saying he will have a good season since its a contract year but I highly doubt that. I wanted him gone for the last 2 years and can only hope he plays well enough to be trade bait by the deadline.

• 1 month later...

Pommer signs for 5 years!!! Whoo hoo my fav player sticking around a little bit- good job Sabs management. WGR is reporting over $5mil per, hopefully not too over but seems about right.

Pommer signs for 5 years!!! Whoo hoo my fav player sticking around a little bit- good job Sabs management. WGR is reporting over $5mil per, hopefully not too over but seems about right.

Yeah, was really excited to hear about this. Now that next years 2 biggest Sabre Free Agents are off the market, they can now worry about a few other things like trying to get back to the playoffs.

The reports I am seeing say 5 years, 26.5 million.

Nice to see they got their big guys all tied in to long term deals! I am thrilled they got Pominville resigned. That's a good solid young core they have. I like the additions of Rivet and Lalime this offseason for them too.

Yea, I am not so sure how its going to play out this year with this team but going forward with the nucleus tied up as it is, I am nothing but positive for the Sabs chances and for the first time, in a long time, the front office.

• 1 month later...

Well it is early, but the Sabres have looked good. Vanek is off to a hot start so far with 7 goals in the teams 5 games. I haven't been able to watch any Sabres games yet, but by looking at the numbers it looks like the defense has played extremely well.

Well it is early, but the Sabres have looked good. Vanek is off to a hot start so far with 7 goals in the teams 5 games. I haven't been able to watch any Sabres games yet, but by looking at the numbers it looks like the defense has played extremely well.

Buffalo looked impressive against the Rangers - Vanek especially putting up 2 shorthanded goals and 2 power play goals in back to back games (against NYR and NYI).

Buffalo looked impressive against the Rangers - Vanek especially putting up 2 shorthanded goals and 2 power play goals in back to back games (against NYR and NYI).

Vanek has been a BEAST this year. I think some people are worried about the slow starts in games and the pp but the team looks likes its firing on most cylinders. I wanted them to have a good October/November so its not such a fight in March/April and they are well on their way in that regard.