I think I’m turning a corner on collecting

mfitz804

Previous winters have come, I wore a jersey daily, I shopped for jerseys constantly. As a result, I wound up with a ton of jerseys I didn’t really care about. 

Something is different this year. I find myself grabbing a jersey to put on less and less. I find myself wanting less and less. 

I think I’ll still look for the few older, vintage pieces I really like, but I’m going to limit what I buy and I’m going to try to stick to it. My theory has always been if I don’t wear it, I don’t keep it. If I’m wearing less, maybe I should keep less. 

Anyone ever get in a mood like this?

EDIT: My 7,000th post, kind of ominous. 

Edited by mfitz804

Sounds like the thrill of the chase isn’t giving you the same high it used to. I think it’s normal but it seems like more and more people are feeling this way lately :( 

4 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Sounds like the thrill of the chase isn’t giving you the same high it used to. I think it’s normal but it seems like more and more people are feeling this way lately :( 

I think it’s more that I expanded what I was looking for so broadly that there is no chase anymore. Arguably, I could use more chase and will get it if I keep a narrower focus.

Mind you, I’m not even close to “sell it all”. 

Edited by mfitz804

21 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

I think it's finally time for you to move on to gameworn jerseys. 

Nah. The players that I still want to collect, I can’t afford their game worns. 

I hope that you turned a corner that works for you.

The only corners I turn seem to lead me down another rat hole of rationalizing another jersey purchase.

Godspeed!

I go through phases. Months where I am good at refusing to buy anything new and then periods like I'm in now. I spent a month in Europe recently, didn't spend as much as planned there (awesome family taking care of me) and how do you think I've made up for that? Literally as soon as I landed, an 8-hour layover in Vancouver and I found Utica Comets game worns at Rogers Arena and it's only spiraled from there for the last 6-8 weeks!

9 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Nah. The players that I still want to collect, I can’t afford their game worns. 

That's exactly how it begins! 

Guest Dr_Puck

My friend mftiz, I say this as respectfully as an anonymous Internet person can ... I wonder if you have flipper's disease. Your posts in the "It arrived thread" might as well be auto-linked to your sales thread given how quickly you sometimes move things. Might that be contributing to the waning interest? 

It has for me. I've begun unloading a few of the impulse buys from this year and frankly, it's taking the zest out of buying on a week-to-week basis and the thrill of the search. Some of my favorite jerseys in the collection are ones that have simply remained in my closet for years. 

Just a thought there buddy. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Puck said:

I wonder if you have flipper's disease. Your posts in the "It arrived thread" might as well be auto-linked to your sales thread given how quickly you sometimes move things. Might that be contributing to the waning interest? 

And that doesn't even include the things that never make it to my "It Arrived" posts, because I know I am going to sell them immediately. The only things that go in "It Arrived" are things I intend to keep. And I do change my mind on them just as fast sometimes. 

My problem is, I see something available in my size at a good price, I jump first and ask questions later. I'm trying to ask my questions ahead of time now. 

There are, of course, dozens of "untouchables" that remain unaffected by my recent (and not so recent) changes in collecting philosophy. 

In the long run, I think I will be happier if I just look for the stuff I really want, even if its weeks and months between. Case in point, the two Devils Edge 2.0 jerseys on eBay right now for $89.99 or Best Offer. As recently as a month ago I would have been all over that, only to realize that I still don't prefer Edge jerseys, and there aren't any players that I really want that are appropriate for an Edge jersey. 

Thus far, I have managed to resist. 

Guest Dr_Puck
1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

My problem is, I see something available in my size at a good price, I jump first and ask questions later. I'm trying to ask my questions ahead of time now. 

There are, of course, dozens of "untouchables" that remain unaffected by my recent (and not so recent) changes in collecting philosophy. 

This perfectly encapsulates my mindset. This was a very active year for me in terms of buying and selling. However, I've finally stopped the impulse buys and the "rescue my budget" sales. Once you skip one or two purchases, it's easier to look past the other deals. 

The soft market is also putting a dent into a lot of people's purchasing habits.  I think most of us either fully or partially fund our purchases with sales of other jerseys.  Lately it has been slow but I have seen an uptick in sales and interest in the last week.

10 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

The soft market is also putting a dent into a lot of people's purchasing habits.  I think most of us either fully or partially fund our purchases with sales of other jerseys.  Lately it has been slow but I have seen an uptick in sales and interest in the last week.

I sold two yesterday that I have been trying to sell (at a loss, mind you) for months now. I was pretty excited by that. Still have a few more I would like to see get moving before the holidays. 

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I sold two yesterday that I have been trying to sell (at a loss, mind you) for months now. I was pretty excited by that. Still have a few more I would like to see get moving before the holidays. 

I sold 3 last week and it looks like I am pretty close to a deal for another one in the next 2 days.  That's 4 in a little over a week after about 2-3 months of nothing.

3 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I sold 3 last week and it looks like I am pretty close to a deal for another one in the next 2 days.  That's 4 in a little over a week after about 2-3 months of nothing.

If course, hockey season is in full swing as well. That always helps. Doesn’t explain last month, of course...

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If course, hockey season is in full swing as well. That always helps. Doesn’t explain last month, of course...

I find most casual buyers on eBay will throw more money down for hockey jerseys after football season ends. 

49 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

I find most casual buyers on eBay will throw more money down for hockey jerseys after football season ends. 

And here in Giants country, that was weeks ago. 

7 hours ago, thebiggoalie said:

Yep.  I've found February and March by far the best time to sell. 

Football is over and the hockey season is getting to the interesting part.

• 3 weeks later...

I've not had the desire to obtain new shirts in a while.....my focus has switched back to my guitars. I've been slowly growing my collection with some nice Les Paul customs.  

Sometimes a break is good. I’m kicking myself for selling some of the jerseys I did have. I actually really like the feel and fit of the edge jerseys. Before I took a break from collecting,  I got burned out by the Indo Edges and not wanting to spend an outrageous amount on the Reebok’s. I came back to find a lot of the jersey I was wanting for less the 80 bucks. I’ve bought 9 jerseys since I’ve been back in it with some Edges for less then 50. Still have a bunch to post on the Arrival Thread.

1 hour ago, Cygnus X-1 said:

I've not had the desire to obtain new shirts in a while.....my focus has switched back to my guitars. I've been slowly growing my collection with some nice Les Paul customs.  

I have had that habit and it’s WAY more expensive!!!

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have had that habit and it’s WAY more expensive!!!

He said "Les Paul", not "RuPaul".