Hey, so I want to get a NJ Devils jersey, but someone slapped a very crappy "Gionta 14" at the back, which is a shame because it's otherwise a perfectly fine jersey. Is there an efficient way to get rid of it so I can either have it blank or customize it properly? Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Cody645 said:

Hey, so I want to get a NJ Devils jersey, but someone slapped a very crappy "Gionta 14" at the back, which is a shame because it's otherwise a perfectly fine jersey. Is there an efficient way to get rid of it so I can either have it blank or customize it properly? Thanks.

I don't know why you'd bother, there are usually an ample amount of blanks available, so its probably not worth the added effort. 

Reason why is because I can get it for 20$ Shipped to Canada. Also, I have one of my Sharks jerseys that has the same type of customization, wanted to get rid of that for a while now.

I have stripped a LOT of jerseys and I have yet to find a way to remove heat pressed or screen printed letters / numbers

I am holding out hope that one day a solution will be discovered to save my ever growing pile of junk but in 20+ years and dozens of chemical attempts I have come up empty.

Good luck to you

Oh jeez. It's as if it's permanently stuck on it, such a shame. Thanks for the replies.

1 minute ago, Cody645 said:

Oh jeez. It's as if it's permanently stuck on it, such a shame. Thanks for the replies.

I don't suppose there's a chance of sewing the good customization right over the top, right? Even if it was the same numbers its not likely going to line up. 

cijf6oMqS5ediKbacnr6

Nope :(

That's what I was starting to think. Thanks again guys.

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

Yikes.  Keep your twenty bucks and save up for an already-correct authentic.  You'll still come out ahead, money-wise.

Yeah that's awful. Its a shame someone ruined a jersey like that.

Methylene Chloride will work to get the screen print off.  However, it is a very tedious process, and you are still going to see a shadow of what was there.  It works OK if you are going to customize over the top of what was already there. It really wouldn't work the best is you wanted to just have a blank jersey. Follow the directions as it is some strong stuff.

• 1 year later...
On 11/27/2017 at 6:08 PM, spudrock512 said:

Methylene Chloride will work to get the screen print off.  However, it is a very tedious process, and you are still going to see a shadow of what was there.  It works OK if you are going to customize over the top of what was already there. It really wouldn't work the best is you wanted to just have a blank jersey. Follow the directions as it is some strong stuff.

Have you done this personally?  I see Staahl's has a can of that stuff.  I also see that it looks to be a chemical that is in the process of being banned due to improper use leading to multiple deaths...so that's interesting.  😳

https://www.stahls.com/lettering-remover-solvent

They list it to use for removing vinyl though, not screened paint.  I'm trying to figure out paint removal.

I’ve used it for vinyl, however, you could still see what was originally there. I was able to get enough off where it’s hard to see, but it will never be completely clean. I will say this, I will never buy a jersey with vinyl numbers again - it wasn’t worth the effort. My guess is that no matter what you find, you will see some indication of the original print. And yes, it is some strong stuff!