2008/2009 Season Opening in Europe

lafountain

The league liked the way it happened so much they are doing it again. Next season it appears that the Penguins and Senators will open up the season in Prague, Czech Repulbic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3058531

Thanks to Crosby, his teammates now have to play outside this year and start the season on the other side of the Earth next year. They'll also probably have a boatload of late season weekend afternoon games so he can be on the NBC (Nothing But Crosby) TV network as well.

They might start to resent having him around as the league looks to exploit him in new and different ways that might affect the team.

Thanks to Crosby, his teammates now have to play outside this year and start the season on the other side of the Earth next year. They'll also probably have a boatload of late season weekend afternoon games so he can be on the NBC (Nothing But Crosby) TV network as well.

They might start to resent having him around as the league looks to exploit him in new and different ways that might affect the team.

Kinda somewhat reminds me of the Lewis Hamilton effect in Formula 1 this season, its not their faults for what happens, but the media/league runs with the momentum they bring.

To be honest, I don't think it really has that much to do with Crosby as you make it out to be. The Ducks/Kings games in London just coincidentally featured the team that would defend the Stanley Cup, so I think it has a lot more to do with featuring the NHL brand in new global markets than showcasing one specific player. It's similar to the NFL having two teams playing at Wembley Stadium or the NBA opening the season in Tokyo...the NHL is capitalizing on the proven talent of its European superstars and in such, showcasing the NHL brand in new, uncharted (at least to them) European markets. Then again...if they were featuring the players moreso than the brand, then they would've either had the Pens play the Capitals or paired the Red Wings up with someone in Stockholm(likely the Canucks, but that's just me talking).

To be honest, I don't think it really has that much to do with Crosby as you make it out to be.

What do you think the odds are that they just randomly chose Pittsburgh for both the outdoor game this year and the season kickoff in Europe next year out of 30 possible teams, twice?

900-1?

I would have taken those odds in heartbeat and bet the farm that they'd choose to exploit feature Crosby both times.

I like the idea of the NHL opening the season in Europe but i think they need at least a week off before the North American scheduele starts so that players can re-coup.

Have you heard the IIHF is creating a European Superleague whose Champion will play for a Unified Title against an NHL Team ( I suppose it will be the Cup Champion)

European Champions Cup

Apparently the Wild ( or Rangers) will be having their Training Camp in the Czech Republic next year

I like the idea of the NHL opening the season in Europe but i think they need at least a week off before the North American scheduele starts so that players can re-coup.

Have you heard the IIHF is creating a European Superleague whose Champion will play for a Unified Title against an NHL Team ( I suppose it will be the Cup Champion)

European Champions Cup

Apparently the Wild ( or Rangers) will be having their Training Camp in the Czech Republic next year

That'd be awesome to see the European champion play the Stanley Cup Champion in a World Championship. From what I've seen of the names who play overseas, that could be one interesting competition.

I believe that they only said "an NHL team" and there was never any specific mention of the Stanley Cup Champions, which is what everyone seems to assume.

I actually think that the NHL would avoid sending it's champions to prevent them from getting beaten and making the NHL look inferior. They'll just probably send Crosby once more...

• 3 months later...
Looks like 2 other teams would play in Sweden while the Penguins and Senators would play in Prague.

Rangers and Lightning in Sweden?

Whaaaaat? Crosby will be part of this? I never saw that one coming. :rolleyes: