Price of jerseys in the 90's

silkeystev

1 hour ago, silkeystev said:

I was wondering how much new NHL jerseys would've cost in the 90's and was hoping some of the older members of the forum could help me out.  Differences in replica vs authentic would be cool to know as well.  

Just because “older members” are needed to remember stuff from the 90’s, I hate you. 

:)

Back in the early 1990's, I remember going to a place called Plaza sports in Centereach, New York. It was actually owned by the Ferraro (Peter and Chris) family. My mother would take my brother and I there just to stare at all the hockey equipment for hours (we couldn't affford anything, but it was a treat to put on whatever goalie gear I could), and they had EVERY. SINGLE. TEAMS. authentic CCM jersey behind the desk, hanging up. They were $200 at the time. 

When Plaza went to move to a smaller location, they put the leftover authentic jerseys on the racks for $50. I was young and still poor, but managed to snag a white Maple Leafs, a Rangers Liberty, a white Penguins, and a 1999 maroon all-star jersey. Ironically, the last jerseys on the rack to finally move we're authentic Islanders Fisherman and Tampa Bay Lightning storm jerseys (yes, I said authentic). They sat there for months. I have no idea who finally grabbed them, but they were so ugly, nobody wanted them back then. 

Reminds me of when mfitz talked about Cosbys ditching all the red/green Devils jerseys for pennies on the dollar when the red/black ones came in. What a future goldmine. 

15 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Reminds me of when mfitz talked about Cosbys ditching all the red/green Devils jerseys for pennies on the dollar when the red/black ones came in. What a future goldmine. 

Wasn’t Cosby’s, was the shop at my local mall. $50 each at the end. Customized. Nobody (including me) wanted them at that time. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

MacLean, Muller & Terreri, as I recall. 

I saw a red/green MacLean for sale on FB very recently. Me thinks it’s from a member here. 

When I was a kid I'd ask for an authentic jersey every year for Christmas. Remember getting River City Sports catalogs in the mail and authentic jerseys would be about $150. When the league opened up other manufacturers other than CCM (Nike, Pro Player, etc), I remember teams who changed companies dropped down to like $75-100. Still have a few of them in my collection.

I also remember going to a Burlington Coat Factory in an outlet mall outside of Chicago as a teenager and finding a Blackhawks TBTC jersey for under $50. Had I known what I know now I would have bought more than one!!

8 hours ago, Silverback53 said:

I saw a red/green MacLean for sale on FB very recently. Me thinks it’s from a member here. 

I know who you are talking about but I don't think he is a member on here.

There was flexible pricing by team up until CCM/Koho took over the entire league when ProPlayer went BK during their only season, 99-00. CCM Leafs, Wings, Devils and Flyers were cheaper than other teams, for example. The most expensive, relatively, was the Starter Coyotes. While most were $100-150, the Coyotes were over $200. I found one seller that I got it from in North Bay for around $186, and that was a deal at the time. Nike was also high on their teams (Leafs/Wings/Flyers/Ducks), up around $200. Bauer did the 1st year Preds, and I believe I paid around $150 for that at the HOF in Toronto. But when Starter, then PP dropped out, and basically went out of business, the monopoly aspect took over and prices went up, quality went down, and it probably will never come back. The 90's really were the Golden Age of jersey buying and collecting.

Guest Dr_Puck
On 12/19/2017 at 8:35 AM, mdwsta4 said:

When I was a kid I'd ask for an authentic jersey every year for Christmas. Remember getting River City Sports catalogs in the mail and authentic jerseys would be about $150. When the league opened up other manufacturers other than CCM (Nike, Pro Player, etc), I remember teams who changed companies dropped down to like $75-100. Still have a few of them in my collection.

Same here and I never could afford a replica, let alone an authentic. Even at $50, all I could do was stair. But those catalogs were amazing. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Same here and I never could afford a replica, let alone an authentic. Even at $50, all I could do was stair. But those catalogs were amazing. 

We all used to pick out obscure minor league teams that were our "favorite: based on the jersey. Not that we bought them, but still. Mine was the Orlando Solar Bears, cool jersey plus I enjoy a good pun. Years later, after joining this forum and becoming obsessive, I did pick one up on eBay. 

I remember getting a Pro Player Devils from RCS for like $150, customized, after the 2000 season. Ordered by telephone from the clearance section of the catalog like we used to do it before all of you kids and your fancy computer-ers. 

Wish I could purchase a few more.