Edge Collars

Bears1000

I had a question about the Edge  collars... I noticed some of them say "Reebok" while others say "Rbk". Is there any rhyme or reason for this? Or is it just random or is possibly based on the date of production? Also, are there any differences in the jerseys besides the collar? Is there a difference between Edge 1 and Edge 2 collars?

Apologies if this has already been answered, but I did a search and couldn't find anything related.

I grabbed a couple of images from ebay to show as an example. These are both Blackhawks edge 1 jerseys:

1.jpg2.jpg

RBK was when Reebok was using the vector logo. When the idiots at Adidas decided to completely neuter Reebok and get rid of that logo, they went to the wordmark REEBOK as their logo. At least they didn't force that awful triangle logo onto any jerseys. IIRC, it was around 2010-2011 or so when that happened, although others may be able to correct me on that. I just wanted to get in another shot at the a-holes at Adidas for destroying the Reebok brand. 

Actually, the “Rbk” neck tag was changed in favor of the Reebok wordmark neck tag as early as 2008, even while the vector logo was still being used on the back collar.  Or at least I have plenty of 1.0’s with wordmark tags and born-on date stickers with dates from 2008-10.  For 2.0’s, retails weren’t available until around the 2012/13 season, so I’ve never seen a retail 2.0 with the Rbk tag, only the wordmark.

Edited by LAK74

4 hours ago, rabinsurance said:

RBK was when Reebok was using the vector logo. When the idiots at Adidas decided to completely neuter Reebok and get rid of that logo, they went to the wordmark REEBOK as their logo. At least they didn't force that awful triangle logo onto any jerseys. IIRC, it was around 2010-2011 or so when that happened, although others may be able to correct me on that. I just wanted to get in another shot at the a-holes at Adidas for destroying the Reebok brand. 

So there are non indo edge 1.0 jerseys that have "Reebok" on the back neck instead of the vector?

1 hour ago, rabinsurance said:

AHL 2.0's had the RBK tag in them. That's the time frame I was going by for the switch. 

I should have mentioned I was referring exclusively to NHL retail jerseys.

1 hour ago, gwarjis said:

So there are non indo edge 1.0 jerseys that have "Reebok" on the back neck instead of the vector?

For the NHL at least, Reebok stopped making 1.0’s for retail around 2011.  However, after 2011 they did still make team-issued 1.0’s with the wordmark collar logo for those teams that wanted them, like Edmonton (the entire team), and Nashville (select players).

On 1/30/2018 at 5:26 PM, gwarjis said:

Not that I've ever seen. The changeover from vector to wordmark jerseys was slow, and you even saw a lot of teams with guys still wearing old vector jerseys after the switch. Regarding retail, I'm not sure when 2.0s started being produced, but I know that around these parts the vector 1.0 gave way to the wordmark Indo Edge for the "authentic" jersey option (and on the first iteration the Reebok wordmark was just pressed on, not even sewn).

For tagging, LAK74 is right— basically every jersey that was a new design starting in 2008 used the wordmark logo tagging, but others that stayed the same (like the Blackhawks home and road) were grandfathered in and kept the RBK logo. Kinda like how the Hawks kept the old-style NHL shield collar patch long after other teams had switched to the flatter, shinier version.

That first tagging example you posted is bizarre though; I've never seen one logo on the neck tape and another on the tag.

Edited by Chazberg

On 1/30/2018 at 3:26 PM, gwarjis said:

56 minutes ago, Chazberg said:

Not that I've ever seen.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/EDMONTON-OILERS-AUTHENTIC-HOME-TEAM-ISSUED-REEBOK-EDGE-1-0-7187-JERSEY-SIZE-56/292359403994?hash=item4411fa79da:g:zuEAAOSwvgdW2II5

• 3 weeks later...

So I now have 2 retail home Edge 1.0 Hawks jerseys... The one with "Reebok" neck was made on 27.1.11, while "RBK" jersey was made on 14.01.11. Both of them have the vector logo on the back. Both of them also have RBK on the tag where the Canadian flag size tag is attached to. This matches up with what you guys were saying, right? Was the switch sometime between those 2 dates?

I don’t believe there is any specific “switch date,” if I am understanding you correctly.  Both “Rbk” and “Reebok” neck tapes and brand tags were used concurrently on retail 1.0’s from 2008 to 2011.  Like Chazberg said earlier, a jersey design that remained unchanged from 2007-11, like the Hawks or the Kings home and roads tended to keep the “Rbk” logos during the entire period from 2007-11.  But a jersey design that debuted after around 2008, like the 2009 All-Stars, or Kings black “LA” thirds, would have the “Reebok” wordmark neck tapes and tags.  Apparently there are some jerseys with mixed Reebok/Rbk tapes and tags, like yours, but I’m more inclined to believe that was just random mixing.

Edited by LAK74

The more I think about it, the more I think the Indo Edges had something to do with this... Both jerseys I have were made in Jan 2011, which means 2010-2011 season, when Edge 1.0 were still retail. Indo Edges appeared in 2011-2012, correct? 

So maybe the Jersey I have that has "Reebok" in the neck was accidentally created with the neck lining reserved for the Indo Edges? Or maybe I'm severely overthinking this and they just ran out of the old RBK lining. Hmm... 

• 2 weeks later...

Weird question.. 

I just realized I don't own any jerseys with a white (inside) collar... I'm contemplating buying a Tampa Bay Lightning home (Edge 2.0) jersey and am hesitant because I feel like a white collar is going to act like a magnet for dirt, in particular sweat. 

Can anyone vouch for this?

7 hours ago, redwingsdownunder said:

You could always wash the jersey if it gets dirty. 

40689546461_1e20e627d4_b.jpg

15 hours ago, cheddarberg said:

Weird question.. 

I just realized I don't own any jerseys with a white (inside) collar... I'm contemplating buying a Tampa Bay Lightning home (Edge 2.0) jersey and am hesitant because I feel like a white collar is going to act like a magnet for dirt, in particular sweat. 

Can anyone vouch for this?

I've played in my Leafs home jerseys with the white collars and washed them regularly. Never had an issue. 

53 minutes ago, galvinwong said:

I've played in my Leafs home jerseys with the white collars and washed them regularly. Never had an issue. 

I think the issue is that some people think washing jerseys is a problem. It isn't. 

I understand you game worn guys, who look at every thread and speck of dust to show the authenticity of the jersey. But honestly, if you have a retail authentic and you wear it frequently, or even just once if you're talking about a filthy place like a hockey arena, and you don't wash it, you are gross. 

6 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

So judgmental.

To the extent that saying people who don't wash their clothes are gross, yeah, I guess so. 

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

To the extent that saying people who don't wash their clothes are gross, yeah, I guess so. 

Agreed I'm being an arse as usual.

Smell like one too since I don't wash my jerseys!

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40