Players you love or loved to hate

Finny

Any player coach or league representative presently or in the past that you hated with an absolute passion? I figure why not start trash talking and offend someone. :)

Okay number 1 on my list is Scott Stevens. Honestly I never liked the Devils, despised them in the 90's. But when Stevens made the news constantly for putting guys out of hockey indefinitely...made me wish someone would make him eat his lunch in the illustrious words of Ken Hitchcock.

Then there is the debate about whether he is a clean hitter and to a certain degree yes definitely he's clean (little high on the elbow but he knows how to put the shoulder to the guy). I think he just crosses the line from checking to outright punishing players for crossing the blue line. I love Phaneuf right now because the guy can light up players and he reminds me of Stevens but I may not like him so much if he goes head hunting and puts a guy out for a long time.

Now let me get the bullseye, back in a minute...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevens also. I have a feeling outside of New Jersey fans he is gonna be on a lot of peoples lists. Matthew Barnaby is another one of those players. If he is on your team you practically love the guy, if he isn't on your team he is one of the most irritating players in the league. He does his job and does it well.

Absolutely. I remember growing up and Barnaby being a young gun with a loose attitude. I think Sean Avery has done a good job to carry the torch for him.

Yeah, Avery has definitely joined that club of players who you love to hate.

Stevens. Domi. Probet. Tucker.

Those ones are predictable. Now onto the surprising ones that will get people on my case.

Modano - Whines like Sidney Crosby, but at a lesser skill level, making it less excusable. Plus he's not a 'kid' anymore.

Lindros - Over-rated and I'm a Forsberg fan... The fact that Forsberg was so undervalued in the original Lindros/Forsberg trade has never sat well with me.

Iginla - I don't know what it is about him, but I've just never liked him. (Finny will be mad).

Heatley - Another one I just never liked. Probably because he stole Havlat's spot on the topline in Ottawa and I would be an Ottawa fan if they had Havlat instead of Heatley, but he's another one I just never could like.

Souray - Another one. I have strange biases against some players.

Bertuzzi - Dirty player. Just a dirty, over-rated player.

Also Shannahan, Brind'amour, Robataille, Roenick, Guerin, Tkachuk...

I'm a hater. And definitly a fan of the younger Europeans.

Stevens. Domi. Probet. Tucker.

Those ones are predictable. Now onto the surprising ones that will get people on my case.

Modano - Whines like Sidney Crosby, but at a lesser skill level, making it less excusable. Plus he's not a 'kid' anymore.

Lindros - Over-rated and I'm a Forsberg fan... The fact that Forsberg was so undervalued in the original Lindros/Forsberg trade has never sat well with me.

Iginla - I don't know what it is about him, but I've just never liked him. (Finny will be mad).

Heatley - Another one I just never liked. Probably because he stole Havlat's spot on the topline in Ottawa and I would be an Ottawa fan if they had Havlat instead of Heatley, but he's another one I just never could like.

Souray - Another one. I have strange biases against some players.

Bertuzzi - Dirty player. Just a dirty, over-rated player.

Also Shannahan, Brind'amour, Robataille, Roenick, Guerin, Tkachuk...

I'm a hater. And definitly a fan of the younger Europeans.

A few that come to mind...

Darcy Tucker: is at the top of my list (and I know I'm not alone) - no need for explanation

Darius Kasparaitis: how many guys knees did he wreck in his career?

Mike Ricci: ugliest and whiniest looking mug in the NHL

A few that come to mind...

Darcy Tucker: is at the top of my list (and I know I'm not alone) - no need for explanation

Darius Kasparaitis: how many guys knees did he wreck in his career?

Mike Ricci: ugliest and whiniest looking mug in the NHL

I have to agree with the two I left off. Just throw them on my list. You might like the clip I posted of Komisarek giving Tucker a rough night, Wolf.

I have to agree with the two I left off. Just throw them on my list. You might like the clip I posted of Komisarek giving Tucker a rough night, Wolf.

I enjoyed it a lot - thanks. Maybe we should just start a Darcy Tucker hater thread! I wonder what LeafsFan will have to say about that!

I enjoyed it a lot - thanks. Maybe we should just start a Darcy Tucker hater thread! I wonder what LeafsFan will have to say about that!

Hah. This is my favorite. Check out the "Shot of the Week" a bit down on the page. Features a photo of Tucker and the Leafs mascot and some amusing captions. Personal favorite: "One is a dumb animal with poor coordination who can't skate very well and gets overexcited whenever he's let out on the ice. The other is the Leafs' mascot."

Edit: Including the link would help, eh? http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...&id=2631506

Hate?

Dale Hunter, I will never forgive him for that cheap hit on Turgeon in the 92 playoffs.

Tie Domi - monchichi-looking punk

Darius Kasparaitis - go for the knees!

Eric Lindros - soft-head

Keith Tkachuk - I met the guy in 1996, he was a total a-hole.

Derian Hatcher - no explantion necessary

Scott Stevens when he played for the Caps

Oleg Tverdovsky - that liability held out in summer of 1997 and stunk ever since. All the puckbunnies in Phoenix had the major hots for that guy.

Ron Duguay - pretty boy ranger

Alexandre Daigle - the most overrated player ever and poster child of the early 90s hockey card boom.

Kirk Maltby - chippy red wing

I'm SURE I can add to this list, but I don't want to sound like a complete misanthrope. B)

I'm SURE I can add to this list, but I don't want to sound like a complete misanthrope. B)

I'm with you, and I agree on a lot of your choices. Tkachuk always seemed like an idiot. Maltby, Draper, McCarty, Holmstrom and a lot of the chippier guys in Detroit got under my skin, but I was cheering for Colorado back than whenever the two met.

Speaking of McCarty, get a load of this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2640829

I'm with you, and I agree on a lot of your choices. Tkachuk always seemed like an idiot. Maltby, Draper, McCarty, Holmstrom and a lot of the chippier guys in Detroit got under my skin, but I was cheering for Colorado back than whenever the two met.

Speaking of McCarty, get a load of this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2640829

I remember that. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I remember that. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I heard he's got much worse gambling debts than the article says and that he's really got himself in trouble. I don't know much about him, beyond watching him play in Detroit when I was cheering for Forsberg every April and May, but I know he got under my skin back then, just being on the opposing team.

• 2 weeks later...

We loved/still love Brashear here. A perfect Flyer if he could score at least 10 a year. Roenick was also a true Flyer. That puck to the jaw and before the doc was done wiring it shut he was back on the ice.

Some of the not-so-cool...

Tucker - ever seen a fish out of water? If not you've seen it if you've seen Tucker get checked.

Barnaby - mostly during his Buffalo days. I still find the whole logo on the two front teeth thing funny.

Domi - anagram ends up "me idiot"

The 1996-1997 Detroit Red Wings

That's about it. I can't hate too much because I'm probably one of those players, granted I'm a goalie.

Dale Hunter, I will never forgive him for that cheap hit on Turgeon in the 92 playoffs.

1993 playoffs. Game 6.

Numero uno is Stevens. The nastiest thug in hockey and a total headhunter. I've never seen anybody outside of a hitman make a career out of injuring other players.

I agree with most of your lists. I also haven't really cared .Brett Hull, Chellios and Chara.

• 2 weeks later...

Scott Stevens I am indifferent towards. I think it was him who checked Shane Willis, who was/is one of my favorite minor leaguers and had started a decent career before getting a concussion from Stevens in 01-02 I believe. He's never been the same since...

Sean Avery

Derian Hatcher

Petr Nedved

Ed Belfour (billion dollar blowfour)

Keith Tkachuk (I have my reasons...)

Jason Arnott

Todd Bertuzzi

I've never liked any of those guys. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tyson Nash yet, I've always been a big fan of his and hope the Maple Leafs work out better for him.

My list is not very long.

Public Enemy #1 - Bobby Clarke. I have hated that guy since I was 8 years old. Being a fan of the Montreal Canadiens back in the early 70's, to have a team fight and intimidate their way to success was pretty repulsive, and Clarke was thier leader and I've never forgiven him for that. Also, the way he conducted himself as a general manager only made things worse.

Lindros - Oh, surprize. Another Flyer. Savior of the franchise. No rings. Nice going. Remember when every baseball card dealer in the world had one hockey card in their inventory - Lindros Rookie for $40. Guess what? If everyone has one, then no one needs one.

Willi Plett - Lord God King Master of the Stupid Penalty. Man how I hated that North Stars fans used to love that idiot so.

Brashear - What? Another Flyer goon? What a shock. Is there anyone in there or is that just a vacant, humorless droid?

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

As for players I love:

Brad Richards: He's the epitome of what a hockey player should be, thinking first and foremost of the team, always willing to make that pass if someone has a better shot. And a real gentleman too, something too many pro sports are sorely lacking. I could go on and on, but Ritchie is my guy.

Vinny Lecavalier too. He and his VL4 foundation just made a multi-million dollar donation to the local All-Childrens Hospital to build a children's cancer center here in downtown Saint Petersburg. He's quoted as saying the only thing keeping him from doing it sooner was the strike. It's always nice to see a guy giving back to the community who supports him and the team so completely.

Frankly, with a few exceptions, the conduct of hockey players off the ice as a whole make me very proud to count myself among hockey fans. Besides watching the best sport, my ticket or merchandise purchase dollars are going to an organization I admire.

Now, as for players I don't particularly like, chalk me up as another against Iginla. He's gotten under my skin ever since the Lightning's 2004 run to the cup. I don't know if it's his play, or his attitude, or whatever, but he bugs me.

How about Jesse "The Bull" Boulerice, the gem the Flyers signed? Best I can tell, his only talent is cheap shots and collecting penalty minutes. Am I wrong? Are the minors even letting him play after his record 25 game suspension from the NHL?

Maybe I'll just side with Brilliant! and company and say "The Flyers". They're always a thorn in my Bolts side.

Heh...dude just save yourself the trouble and say the whole Flyers franchise. I'll agree with you on that!

I forgot one.

Jarkko Ruutu - This is the twerp who once picked a fight with Sergei Zholtok but cowers like a little girl anytime someone who can make fist comes within 10 feet of him. The worst punk I've ever seen on the ice. I truly want someone to cross check him in the face.

Brad May is another. I don't like him and think he's a cheap player.

Brad May is public enemy #1 in Minnesota for his cheap shot to Kim Johnsson in last year's playoffs. People here were waiting all summer for Derek Boogaard to get a shot at him.

Brad May is public enemy #1 in Minnesota for his cheap shot to Kim Johnsson in last year's playoffs. People here were waiting all summer for Derek Boogaard to get a shot at him.

I also still think of him as the guy who put the bounty on Steve Moore's head. He's always behind a cheap shot play or being an overall punk. I admire tough guys who don't back down, but there's also a line, and IMO he crosses it too much.