Sewing machine questions

Brilliant!

For a while now, I've wanted to find a sewing machine so that I can sew my patches onto my jerseys without having to send them out to someone else. The only problem is I have no access to a sewing machine in either my house OR from anyone in my family. I know there's at least one person on these boards that does his own stitching so I'm asking for help! What do I look for if I want to buy a machine for myself? Is there something special I have to look for in order to get the proper zig-zag pattern? What are some brands out there and how much would something run me? Thanks in advance!

For a while now, I've wanted to find a sewing machine so that I can sew my patches onto my jerseys without having to send them out to someone else. The only problem is I have no access to a sewing machine in either my house OR from anyone in my family. I know there's at least one person on these boards that does his own stitching so I'm asking for help! What do I look for if I want to buy a machine for myself? Is there something special I have to look for in order to get the proper zig-zag pattern? What are some brands out there and how much would something run me? Thanks in advance!

I don't know anything about sewing machines because I'm using an older model from my mom. Actually, you only need the zig-zag stitch and straight stitch pattern, I never used any other stitch patterns. Make sure you get a German brand or even better Made in Germany, that's the best you can get.

I've been looking online at some from Jo-Ann fabrics and they do have the zig-zag pattern along with a whole mess of others. 200 bucks is quite a setback though. How difficult is it to get accustomed to stitching a patch on and is it worth it to buy this thing?

I've been looking online at some from Jo-Ann fabrics and they do have the zig-zag pattern along with a whole mess of others. 200 bucks is quite a setback though. How difficult is it to get accustomed to stitching a patch on and is it worth it to buy this thing?

I think, there's no sewing machine that doesn't have the zig-zag pattern, macbe the ones from the 19th century.

It's not very difficult to get accustomed to stitching patches on, maybe a few days of practice. Maybe you know someone who can show you the first steps?

• 1 month later...

I remember we used to have a Pfaff, should still be there. Looks very professional even though it must be very old, like 20 years. Can't remember it ever being on though :lol: Think we got it from someone or otherwise it must've been a second hand one. Pfaff 230 to be exact...

(found a pic, looks exactly the same)

7wkc11w.jpg

• 1 month later...
I remember we used to have a Pfaff, should still be there. Looks very professional even though it must be very old, like 20 years. Can't remember it ever being on though :lol: Think we got it from someone or otherwise it must've been a second hand one. Pfaff 230 to be exact...

(found a pic, looks exactly the same)

7wkc11w.jpg

Weird! I haven't even seen your post. Have you tried to get it to work? The one in the pic has a sewing table(?) Does yours have that kinda table or workstation, or whatever it's called? It makes the whole sewing process a lot easier, especially when you're working on things like large numbers for example.

Weird! I haven't even seen your post. Have you tried to get it to work? The one in the pic has a sewing table(?) Does yours have that kinda table or workstation, or whatever it's called? It makes the whole sewing process a lot easier, especially when you're working on things like large numbers for example.

Haven't checked if it still works but I assume it does. And it does indeed have the table thing/ cabinet like full workstation :thumbsup: .

• 2 months later...

Okay, I have another question. I've been trying to sew my 1989 Cup patch onto my Habs jersey but the stitch isn't forming that nice 'V' pattern. Instead, I'm getting something that looks more like a 'Y' for some reason. What am I doing wrong? Why does it seem like one of the threads is pulling out?

• 4 months later...

I don't know a lot about sewing machines, but for sewing patches any regular machine should do. I have an old singer I picked up second hand. Be sure to get the right needles for doing heavy duty material (patches are usually thick).

If you ever get your machine skipping stitches every so often, odds are your needle is too dull and you need a new one.

As far as the stitch forming a 'Y' pattern, I'll bet your tension isn't set right.

Okay, I have another question. I've been trying to sew my 1989 Cup patch onto my Habs jersey but the stitch isn't forming that nice 'V' pattern. Instead, I'm getting something that looks more like a 'Y' for some reason. What am I doing wrong? Why does it seem like one of the threads is pulling out?