diy lettering/customizing my own jerseys

so i have decided to try lettering my own jerseys instead of paying the insane prices customizers want. i do have a couple of questions and wanted some feedback

where can i get curved nameplated for redwings and avs jerseys

any correct order to heat press and sew? i tried heat pressing 2 layers together off of a jersey and the bottom layer melted too and got stuck to my carboard i was ironing on

how does the stitch length look? too bunched up?

any other tips or feed back will be welcome

this was my first try, i went clockwise from the outside bottom right and worked my way around, you can see it starts too small and squigley then it gets too big then it gets to the right size and i put down some pretty straight lines

c31qyMr.jpg

this was my second try, the layers are a bit crooked because i didnt heat press this one together so they were moving seperatly

rvOdJgI.jpg

Not so good in that first attempt but better on the second. Check my flickr page, I have close ups of the stitching I've done on my jerseys.

Stitches should be closer together and maybe not so high on the first one. Also, pay attention to which position the needle is in when your moving the number around.

Good call, realized this after a Google search button still need avs ones

I think I read somewhere on here that Denver Athletic is the only place to get Avs nameplates properly curved.

1. you do need to heat press the twill layers together before stitching, if you're doing multi-layers. Use wax paper/cookie sheets so the bottom layer can be easily peeled off.

2. follow the stahl's instructions for clean corner turns.

3. find close-up pics of game worn jerseys to see the width and length of each zig-zag stitch.

Here are some of my work:

99-00homesundinarms_zps178ef92c.jpg

2010TCwhitecrosbyarms_zps9acb1aa9.jpg98-99vokounbacknumber_zps28232255.jpg98-99vokounarmcopy_zpsd13d36cb.jpg

@gunnarson, if you were getting it lettered would you be happy paying for this example? i think i did well but i am obviously biased haha, i always think my stuff looks good untill like a month later when i look at it and im like thats terrible haha

ha i will start, gotta buy a rounded kit to practice so i think im gonna buy 2 sakic avs kits for my bros jersey, i can mess one up and i can knock one out clean

Before wasting a kit you can also practice sewing corners by using thicker paper like construction paper. Its an inexpensive way to get comfortable. Or if you have some spare twill that obviously works too. Just trace out a circle using a stensil of a cup and cut it out and then practise going around the circle. Will save you some money!

Got my first real kits in today!! got a keith home and a roenick sharks home, other thing i like about doing my own jerseys is i plan on getting the roenick signed so i can just send in the top layer of the 7 and not risk a whole jersey. i plan on sending in my 7 tomorrow and im gonna put the keith kit on the jersey once i get a layer of twill to put under the keith nameplate cause i was stupid and forgot to order it when i go the kit! :P

ill post a couple of updates and ask for thoughts tomorrow

Before wasting a kit you can also practice sewing corners by using thicker paper like construction paper. Its an inexpensive way to get comfortable. Or if you have some spare twill that obviously works too. Just trace out a circle using a stensil of a cup and cut it out and then practise going around the circle. Will save you some money!

Yeah, even if you have to order twill, you can get a decent sized roll from Stahls for 20+ shipping/taxes that'll give you enough to practice on for a very long time.

Kits usually cost 30-40. It's not really worth using kits to practice.

the kits i got were 22 and 48$ the roenick sharks was more expensive cause hes not a current player and its a 3 layer on everything except name which is 2 layer

first update of the day, put the big back number on, bigger pain than i expected and it bunched a little, not sure if you guys can see or if you would care

doing the A next then ill do arm numbers then, if i get ambitious, the 2013 finals patch. ill post pics at every step of the way

injd43N.jpg

5x8WyHc.jpg

OuYf9KR.jpg

any tips on heat pressing? obviouosly i dont have a heat press, next best thing i would think would be an iron, for my next jersey id like to try heat pressing before i sew so it doesnt bunch like that

truthfully on those, i looked up a few pics and used point references, the back number i used the fight strap as a reference, this is 60 so it is a little longer and the highest i ever saw the number was just touching the fight strap so i positioned my number just touching the fight strap. for the arms they look to be centered between the shoulder yoke and first hem of the arm stripes so that how i adjusted the vertical positioning. for the arms for the horizontal position i just lined it up with the split in the shoulder yoke on top. the name plate i am not sure how i will do yet. they look like they sit less than an inch bellow the shoulder yoke edge. im gonna have to look at a few more pics but for my initial look its gonna go either evenly between the yoke ad top of number or like a 2/3rds proportion with there being double the room below as on top. say 1 inch above 2 inches below.