EBay

Brilliant!

Personally I always wait until the last minute to bid on an item if I can. Unless it's a grail or a must have for my collection I prefer not to possibly tie up funds that may or may not be spent for several days in case something more immediate pops up. Plus I don't really want some jackass running up my proxy bid.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past, I would normally bid early, now I normally wait till the last 5 seconds. Of course, there were a few exceptions. If a seller has multiple of the same items (i.e. my LA Kings jersey), I will put a bid on it, just so I don't have to wait until the next day to bid on it again :blush:

THANK YOU! Hence why I said people are stupid. I find that the majority of eBayers are rage bidders. I was just winning an auction for a NWT CCM Liberty jersey. It was at 15.50 and my max bid was $35 because there was no logical reason why it should skyrocket in the last 10 minutes of the auction when there were 0 bids until last night. NOW, it's at $61 and it went up 50 bucks in a minute and a half. I swear, sometimes it's like people see something and automatically think "dur this is the most valuable thing I've ever seen! bid bid bid bid bid!" without thinking about the current selling price and what they could realistically get the item for.

I understand it's rare, but my friend just got a blank Liberty jersey the other night for 29 bucks on eBay because he was the only bidder. Granted it was Super Bowl Sunday and that worked to his advantage, but still. I'm going to be relieving him of that jersey because it's an XL and he'll swim in it, but I would've liked to have gotten another one to go along with it. I lost a NWT Leetch jersey last night that was at 25 bucks and I was winning until the last 30 seconds of the auction when three different people started rage bidding because they all absolutely had to have it. It only sold for like 65 bucks and I probably could've gotten it, but I don't get into bidding wars. If I do that, I'm gonna be pissed either way - I'll either be pissed that I don't have it, or I'll have it and be pissed that I paid more than it's really worth.

You don't win items on eBay by being the high bidder halfway through an auction do you?

The price spikes at the end on most auctions because people want to be on top when it ends.

I am the complete opposite of you guys. I drink a 12 pack of Mountain Dew before going on ebay. Xtreme rage bidding!

Personally I always wait until the last minute to bid on an item if I can. Unless it's a grail or a must have for my collection I prefer not to possibly tie up funds that may or may not be spent for several days in case something more immediate pops up. Plus I don't really want some jackass running up my proxy bid.

I like to wait till the end also...but if it something I am really interested in I'll place a bid or two early. This gives the seller the idea there is definite interest in the jersey, it has potential to increase in price, and may prevent him from ending the auction early to sell to someone outside of ebay (like the guys here on this fourm) :lol:

I am the complete opposite of you guys. I drink a 12 pack of Mountain Dew before going on ebay. Xtreme rage bidding!

Man, that really gives me a great picture in my head as to what your like in person, that added to your interests listed in your bio.

And to think we have CHARLIE SHEEN as a member of the ice jerseys fourm!!! :thumbsup:

I hate when people drive up the price of something on ebay, but I hate it even more whey they DON'T do it on my items for sale ;)

One of the best lessons I learned in this hobby is, value is not what you set on a jersey, its on what others are willing to pay for it. Just because you have a max for an item, someone may have a difference of opinion, and in the end you just need to cut your losses and realize that not everything people buy on eBay belong in the deals and steals thread.

I've also pretty much given up on getting a White Liberty, as the only retail authentics I'm keeping my collection are my rangers TBTC, LA Kings purple and gold, and Markus Naslund 2004 ASG jersey as there is no way I'm ever getting gamers of those jerseys now. Sometimes at the end of the day the chips don't fall your way, and s*** happens...

Because it's a blank replica? Without tags? And if they had done their research, they'd see there's an authentic that's gonna sell for less than that?

Ya i agree, i hate when im watching something that similar items sold for cheap and it gets way more expensive then an authentic. I will admit that makes me angry lol

Ebay is tricky. It all depends on timing as well. I had instances where my buddies or I got liberty jerseys for the cheap (I was looking for one more CCM replica so my need for that new 1 with tags wasnt a necesasity). Some of it is timing, some of it is luck but yea alot of the time you just meet someone who is willing to spend the extra dollar or more than you and it sucks. If your patient enough 99% of the time you will eventually get what you are looking for.

Bid sniping isn't against the rules

It's the best way to win ANY auction IMO.

I prefer the hard stuff. I beat my computer after the auction for giving me lip.

I don't use snipers. I like the thrill when I bid on something and my heartbeat goes faster :thumbsup:

I was the same way until my internet would hiccup and I'd miss it, or I'd bid at 10 seconds only to get sniped at the 2 second mark. It got old, fast.

guess it would depend on the placement of the new numbers, and how badly the screenprinting will leave a mark. man what a bummer, thats an otherwise great jersey.

You don't win items on eBay by being the high bidder halfway through an auction do you?

The price spikes at the end on most auctions because people want to be on top when it ends.

I win 99% of my auctions by bidding last 5 seconds to my max bid, BUT

When a potentially high-priced item comes up, that I recognize people will bid high on no matter what I do, I'll bid early, and relatively high, several times over, up to approx. 20% less of my max bid.

A perfect example is my 86-87 NIKE Coffey; I saw it early ($70 bid or so), and decided my max bid would be $900 at the end of the auction. I outbid the $70 to start (got to about $150), then I bid to $200, $250, $300, etc, back to back, up to a max of $700. That way if anyone looks at the bidding history, they would see my name having bid over and over, and anytime anyone enters a bid, I automatically outbid them. While I recognize this drives up the price on myself, I've already predicted the item will hit the price it's currently at, regardless. This weeds out the people who aren't serious enough, and potentially some of the more hard core as well. Usually, if the initial bid started at day 7, this will enable the auction to float around $200-300 up until day 2 remaining. By d-day, the bid may have hit $400-450, and by the last hour up to approx $500. Again, people continue to see me take the high bid.

...and it's not too often those who're waiting in the weeds will try and bid before hand; they all want to snipe (if they're interested).

Then I reserve my last $200 for the remaining 10 seconds, and bid even if I'm currently the high bidder. IF someone actually does bid higher than my $700 before the last 10 seconds, chances are, as soon as they see they've beat me, they think I probably won't bid higher, and/or they won't have enough time to enter another bid. With 10 seconds left, I drop my last $200. If someone does end up outbidding me because they waited until the last second and had a higher bid of my max of $900, then they wanted it more than me, and I bow down...but often I find I end up winning the item for less than I was willing to spend.

The Coffee, I ended up getting for $660, and I was more than happy to have an unexpected $240 to put towards another jersey :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Buffalo-Sabres-Rene-Robert-jersey-Olympic-patch-Maska-/180623348888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0dfd9498#ht_500wt_922

###### I got out bid! :rolleyes:

Edit: Man someones spending an awful lot on a wrongly attributed sweater.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Buffalo-Sabres-Rene-Robert-jersey-Olympic-patch-Maska-/180623348888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0dfd9498#ht_500wt_922

###### I got out bid! :rolleyes:

Edit: Man someones spending an awful lot on a wrongly attributed sweater.

Sorry man, it's the Mountain Dew...XTREME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!