2008 Trade Deadline Thread

Brilliant!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=229406&hubname=

Good move for the Sens is you ask me. Good size on D with Commodore and a solid, veteran second or third liner in Stillman. Both were UFA's at the end of the year so Carolina did okay in getting Corvo and Eaves. Both are solid players. Ottawa definitely won the trade though.

Even though the trade deadline is still 2 weeks away there have already been some deals. Use this thread to discuss any official trades or rumors you have heard.

Today Carolina and Ottawa made a deal that sends Commodore and Stillman to the Senators for Eaves and Corvo.

Not really sure that Carolina is throwing in the towel since they are in the Southeast and all 5 teams have a legit shot at the Division Title, but this trade seems kind of strange to me. They got younger in this deal so it is one that seems like it is for now and for the future at the same time.

EDIT: Since Brilliant and I both wrote the same thing around the same time, I just merged them into the Trade Deadline Thread.

Even though there is a 10 minute difference in post times, they were around the same time. I was typing it at work and got pulled away from my desk before I could finish typing and hit send.

EDIT: Since Brilliant and I both wrote the same thing around the same time, I just merged them into the Trade Deadline Thread.

Great minds think alike I guess! Anyway, I think this is a good trade for Ottawa but it certainly didn't stop the slide last night against the Sabs. It will be interesting to see if they can mesh with the team by the time the playoffs come around.

People here in Minnesota are talking about the possibility of getting either Hossa, Sundin or Forsberg.

Forsberg could be worth a risk to finish out this season, but if it's true that he would require a contract for next year as well, I'd pass on that fragile a commodity.

Hossa has everyone excited thinking he'd be on a line with Gaborik and Demitra, making us the Slovakian National Team, but we'd probably have to part with something significant like Rolston to do it, so I'm doubtful that will come to pass.

I also don't see us paying the price to acquire Sundin, but would pee myself with glee if it were to happen.

We'll probably stand pat and watch Colorado and Detroit load up on Hossa & Sundin and get our asses kicked once more...

It's not really deadline talk but the Rangers locked up Henrik Lundqvist today apparently. Here's the link. Not a bad price for a guy who, when he plays to his ability, can be the best in the league.

I'd love to see Minnesota land Forsberg. That'd mean that neither the Flyers or the Rangers picked him up and that's a win-win in my book. The more I see the Wild this year, the more I think they're gonna be a force in the playoffs. They got a raw deal last year drawing the Ducks in the first round otherwise they would've made more noise than they did.

The more I see the Wild this year, the more I think they're gonna be a force in the playoffs.

The more I see the Wild this year, the more I'm convinced that we are mediocre as can be and will fortunate to survive the first round as we lay yet another big, fat egg against Edmonton.

We are as down as we are up and I just don't see our goaltending being consistent enough to carry us vary far, especially on those all too frequent days that the offense loses the plot yet again. <_<

Now Mats Sundin, that would help... We could use another center after Wes Walz buggered off in the middle of the season. Seriously, WTF was that?

We are as down as we are up and I just don't see our goaltending being consistent enough to carry us vary far, especially on those all too frequent days that the offense loses the plot yet again. <_<

Is the inconsistent goaltending a function of the coach willing to swap Backstrom for Harding on a whim or has neither played well enough to get the number 1 this year?

Is the inconsistent goaltending a function of the coach willing to swap Backstrom for Harding on a whim or has neither played well enough to get the number 1 this year?

Neither has played well enough to make the job his. Backstrom will look good for 3 games or so and then just let in an absolute stinker in a tight game and go back to square one with the coach's confidence.

Tonight is a really big game vs. the Canucks on the road, if we win in regulation, we'd be up 7 big points. Lose and it's down to 3. :unsure:

Read that the Ducks are interested in getting Rob Blake. Could you imagine the Defense they would have if they got him? None of the rumors involve them losing one of their defenseman, so that would give them 5 great d-men.

During the Sabres game on VS, they mentioned that Brad Richards has given the Lightning a list of teams that he will waive his no-trade clause for. The teams listed were Columbus, Dallas, and Vancouver.

Prospal dealt to Philly

To Philly: Vaclav Prospal

To Tampa: Alexandre Picard and a 2009 2nd or 3rd Rounder.

Dan Boyle Signs 6 year $40 million deal to stay in Tampa.

Comrie stays on the Island!

I love this day- I spend the whole day watching the feeds from CA.

Campbell to San Jose- as a Buffalo fan it is sad to see him go but its better then getting nothing for him at the end of the year a la Danny and Chris.

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2008/02/campbel...e.html#comments

Losing Campbell does suck, but most Sabres fans knew he was probably gone at the deadline. Getting Bernier and San Jose's 1st though is some compensation, but I figured they would get a little more than that.

To New Jersey: Bryce Salvador

To St Louis: Cam Janssen

To Montreal: 2008 2nd Round Pick

To Washington: Cristobal Huet

Guess it is Price's time now in net for the Habs.

To Florida: Wade Belak

To Toronto: 2008 5th Round Pick

To Dallas: Mike Richards and Johan Holmqvist

To Tampa: Mike Smith, Jeff Halpern, and Jussi Jokinen.

Tampa sends Richards to Dallas

To Colorado: Ruslan Salei

To Florida: Karlis Skrastins and 2008 3rd Round Pick

To Carolina: Tuomo Ruutu

To Chicago: Andrew Ladd

To Ottawa: Martin LaPointe

To Chicago: 2008 6th Round Pick

Add Hall Gill to the Pens for picks and Hossa to the Pens for Colby, Christensen and Angelo. Tooooo much for Hossa man, too much- what are the Pens thinking?

EDIT: Looks like Dupuis coming along with Hossa and a draft pick on its way back to Atl. Still too much, in my opinion.

To Colorado: Adam Foote

To Columbus: Draft pick conditional of Foote re-signing

To Washington: Sergei Federov

To Columbus: Theo Ruth

To NY Islanders: Rob Davison

To San Jose: 7th Round Pick

To Vancouver: Matt Pettinger

To Washington: Matt Cooke

To NY Rangers: Christian Backman

To St Louis: 2008 4th Round Pick

To Pittsburgh: Hal Gill

To Toronto: 2008 2nd and 5th Round Picks

To Pittsburgh: Marian Hossa and Pascal Dupuis

To Atlanta: Angelo Esposito, Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, and 2008 1st Round Pick.

To Minnesota: Chris Simon

To NY Islanders: 2008 6th Round Pick

To Detroit: Brad Stuart

To LA: 2008 2nd and 4th Round Picks

To NY Rangers: Frerik Sjostrom, David Leneveu, and Josh Gratton

To Phoenix: Marcel Hossa and Al Montoya

To Florida: Chad Kilger

To Toronto: 2008 3rd Round Pick

To Anaheim: Mark-Andre Bergeron

To NY Islanders: 2008 3rd Round Pick

(Some of these picks are actually from 2009. Will edit when I get home from work)

To Anaheim: Jean-Sebastian Aubin

To LA: 2008 7th Round Pick

To Atlanta: Joe Motzko

To Washington: Alex Giroux

To Nashville: Jan Hlavac

To Tampa Bay: 2008 7th Round Pick

And there you have it all of the 2008 Deadline deals.

Richards wearing 91 in Dallas since 19 is retired for Bill Masterton, and he has 3 assists after 2 periods in his Stars debut. Finished with 5 assists.

I'm baffled by the Marian Hossa trade. That's a little too much to give up for a rental if you ask me.

I dig Foote returning to Denver, as well as the Al Montoya trade to the Coyotes, not a big Marcel Hossa fan though.

Salei was a good addition to the Avs as well.

I had completely forgotten that last week was the deadline, then I woke up on my day off and saw Richards had been dealt. I followed the feeds all day.

Rumors around the 'Burgh are that Lemieux and company pressed GM Ray Shero into picking up a scoring winger for Sid for when he gets back, and not to worry about money. Ownership had previously had their own cap about 10 mil below the NHL cap, so it seems like they are finally willing to spend a little while we can keep Sid, Malkin, Staal, Whitney, and Fleury all here.

My only issue with the Sabres at this years deadline was they didn't try and pick anyone else up. Their only concern this year was getting something for Campbell and they didn't seem to have any interest in any other moves to try and improve the team.

As for the Thrashers, obviously seeing Hossa go does suck, but it was pretty much known that he was probably leaving Atlanta so again had to get something for him and I read that Waddell basically had 3 teams bidding against each other and ran up the deal to get what he did.