Starter Fantasy/Fashion Jerseys

lafountain

Was browsing around on the Panthers forum a bit and noticed a thread talking about a Yellow Panthers Jersey. Looked on NHLuniforms and didn't see it shown anywhere. Anyone know anything about this jersey?

4ee0_1.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

Never game worn. Starter made some alternate-color replicas for some NHL teams in the late 1990's. This was one of them.

Asked the same question on the Panthers board and this is what they said.

It never made it to the ice. The story, as I heard it, was that when Starter had the NHL contract, the gold sweater was developed as a third jersey. It got nixxed somewhere along the way though and never actually made an NHL appearance.

A few of these have made their way to ebay though.

Panthers Yellow 1

Panthers Yellow 2

Panthers Yellow 3

I highly doubt that they were ever considered that way. These were strictly done as a "fashion" type product. They took a few team's designs and just changed the primary color of the jersey. I remember seeing these in RCS catalogs in the late 90's, and in some stores, especially stores that marketed "urban" wear.

Asked the same question on the Panthers board and this is what they said.

It never made it to the ice. The story, as I heard it, was that when Starter had the NHL contract, the gold sweater was developed as a third jersey. It got nixxed somewhere along the way though and never actually made an NHL appearance.

A few of these have made their way to ebay though.

Panthers Yellow 1

Panthers Yellow 2

Panthers Yellow 3

Actually, those were just fantasy jersey like there was a yellow Blackhawks, baby blue Flyers and Avalanche, black Avalanche and some other jerseys I don't remember what they looked like

I can see that. It is possible that the people on the Panthers board just didn't know either.

Just had never seen it and thought it was kinda interesting, not something I want, but interesting.

I can see that. It is possible that the people on the Panthers board just didn't know either.

Just had never seen it and thought it was kinda interesting, not something I want, but interesting.

It's awesome to see how the look like with name and numbers on it.

I've also seen a red Rangers with the tie-down collar and a black Rangers with the mid 90's collar. I think, those jerseys are great for putting your own name and numbers on it.

Maybe we shouldre-name this thread into "Starter fantasy jerseys" and post whatever we can find on the www

Oof...that yellow jersey is quite harsh on the eyes. Still, it's intriguing. For me, the only yellow jersey is and always will be the Canucks of the 80's. I'd love to find one of those.

I used to have one of those black Rangers jerseys when I was a kid, way back before I realized I can't be a Rangers and Devils fan. It was my favorite jersey at the time. My mom bought it for me and I had no idea what it was since I never saw them wear it, then someone told me it was a third jersey that they rarely wore, and I believed them for years. Then I came across nhluniforms.com and didn't see it there so I was confused. I guess I finally got my answer all these years later haha. I remember seeing a lot of the other jerseys mentioned in this thread on shop.nhl.com around 1998 or so.

That would be right along with the blue Red Wings jerseys that were around for a while (to visualize how awful that it, replace the white on the jersey body with a powder blue, keeping in contrast with the red sleeves and waist stripe). :doh:

Oh, that reminds me of a black Red Wings jersey I saw on ebay in the past

I had a blue penguins replica a few years ago as well. It actually looked kinda cool. It was just as everybody was getting ready for the Crosby Craze and if it were customized for him, it would have actually been pretty cool and original.

Starter made a dark blue (like the shade that the Blues wear) fashion Penguins jersey with gold and black striping and the neo-penguin crest. No, I can't find a picture of it, but the ugliness of it sticks in my mind.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

That should be criminal.