IIHF Throwbacks

benpc21

Here is the schedule for the vintage jerseys at the World Championships this year:

http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-world-ch...ge-jerseys.html

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Russians are not going to be wearing "CCCP"? Well, I'm sure there's a bunch of political reasons for it, but DAMNIT! That would rock. Chickens.

I think it's odd reading the schedule that only one team will be wearing a throwback each time and not both teams as generally done in throwback MLB games. I'm not sure I'm a fan of new vs. old. Seems not quite right to my aesthetic.

What's that annoying little logo on the upper right chest doing there? The last thing a clean and simple throwback needs is extra modern clutter.

The Russians are not going to be wearing "CCCP"? Well, I'm sure there's a bunch of political reasons for it, but DAMNIT! That would rock. Chickens.

Disappointed in that as well, but that won't stop me from more than likely picking one up.

Though rosters can still change, right now you only got two of your Wild players to worry about. Burns for Canada, and Koviu for Finland.

Official rosters have to be in on May 1.

What's that annoying little logo on the upper right chest doing there? The last thing a clean and simple throwback needs is extra modern clutter.

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me...but that looks like it says "IIHF".

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me...but that looks like it says "IIHF".

Regardless of what it is or says, retro jerseys would be better off without any additional "branding" clutter.

Looks like there have been little changes and a Denmark jersey has been added B). The "annoying" little logo which I found annoying as well looks to be the IIHF 100 year patch :) . :D NEED MORE MONEY now! (Just noticed Austria's is no longer there, obviously must be because they're not in it :P)

:noway: MORE annoyingly CCCP has been replaced with Rossiya :glare:

Looks like there have been little changes and a Denmark jersey has been added B). The "annoying" little logo which I found annoying as well looks to be the IIHF 100 year patch :) . :D NEED MORE MONEY now! (Just noticed Austria's is no longer there, obviously must be because they're not in it :P)

:noway: MORE annoyingly CCCP has been replaced with Rossiya :glare:

RTEmagicC_Russia-1956-A5.2.jpg.jpg

:lol: Jeez, I wonder what time it was when I was reading this thread in one of the last couple of days to have missed all this info had been posted already ... :rolleyes: . Even managed to quote a post that said Russia wouldn't be wearing the CCCP, deleting that part, and later discover on the IIHF site CCCP had been replaced and come back here to post it :blush: . Logo moved from sleeve to chest as well. Hardly noticed it at all in the first post picture untill I vaguely read something about annoying logo's late at night in one of the aforementioned days, looked closer and thought they were CCM logo's at first. Now that they've moved them it's not really an improvement and my guess would be they are IIHF 100 year patches I saw in some glimpses in the junior WC videos this year (only they were in the regular spot and had the regular shape).

Anyways: any word about prices yet? Let's hope for good old north american retail prices -> instant 33% discount :thumbsup: (well sorta if you compare it with WC's held in Europe).

It doesn't look like there will be any made for retail. These are for this WC only, since it's the 100 anniversary of the IIHF, and for one game only. I think if there was going to be a retail version, someone somewhere would be at least pre-selling these. So I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

Russian Captains named:

C: Alexei Morozov

A: Sergei Fedorov

A: Maxim Sushinsky

Ahh, good ol' Maxim Sushinsky. The Wild drafted him and he played the first part of the first year before going back to Russia. Word was he and his wife were homesick and didn't make too much effort to learn English or adapt to their surroundings in the USA. He's really one that got away and has often been called at various times "the best player in the world NOT in the NHL" since leaving.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=6953

So, with the Worlds starting tomorrow, where the heck are these throwbacks for retail anyways????

By the way, heres the latest IIHF newsletter IceTimes for your reading pleasure.

http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_upload/...ay08_V12_N2.pdf

LOOK WHO WORE CCCP TODAY!

The Russians!

You would have thought that Nike would have had those in the works so far in advance that the IIHF would have known about it. I wonder if they will sell retail ones with "Russia" or "CCCP" now?

80970925.jpg

LOOK WHO WORE CCCP TODAY!

The Russians!

You would have thought that Nike would have had those in the works so far in advance that the IIHF would have known about it. I wonder if they will sell retail ones with "Russia" or "CCCP" now?

80970925.jpg

Wow, that is a nice looking jersey. Glad to see they still had CCCP on the game worns. I am still hoping the retail ones have it as well.

Customization of this one will be easy though, no front numbers, no sleeve numbers, and no name. Just got the number on the back.

RussianJersey.jpg

I saw that tonight as well....if they sell them with CCCP I think I'm in!

RussianJersey.jpg

Mystery solved, was just going to post it but this picture is much clearer: the strange, annoying patches as can be seen very clearly now are just a patch with the year of the jersey. Just noticed it while watching the Denmark game it was something with numbers and it wasn't the 100 year patch that was in the regular shape and place so figured it would be the year of the jersey but this pictures puts an end to all doubts :thumbsup: . Loving the oldskool Nike logo B)

f0bsxu.jpg

Nothing yet at the IIHF shop except Swift replica's for $160 US :lol: . Must be the ones Finny mentioned so not looking good. Should've been up for sale already at least to sell in the stadium ...

Today's teams in throwbacks are Switzerland and Germany. After seeing the single color numbers used yesterday by Denmark and Russia, I fear my hopes of some color being added to the German jerseys are fading. I was hoping for at least white trimmed in orange, if not the opposite perhaps, but now expect single color white, but I still have some hope since the USA wore blue trimmed in red. C'mon Germany - two color numbers!

I was very happy to see the "year" patches relegated to the lower left waist of the jerseys instead of cluttering up the fronts like the illustration indicated. Thumbs up to who got that change made.

UPDATE:

Well, the Germany jerseys do have the one color white numbers, and are also sadly missing the additional white shoulder stripes the illustration showed, leaving them with just the three arm stripes and one large waist stripe. It's really too bad because those additional stripes would have been quite unique and two color numbers would have looked 100% better in my opinion. A shot of color on the back would have done these a world of good.

The Swiss look great, but there's something decidedly NOT retro about players wearing numbers 61, 57, 54, 67 and 86. :unsure:

UPDATE:

Well, the Germany jerseys do have the one color white numbers, and are also sadly missing the additional white shoulder stripes the illustration showed, leaving them with just the three arm stripes and one large waist stripe. It's really too bad because those additional stripes would have been quite unique and two color numbers would have looked 100% better in my opinion. A shot of color on the back would have done these a world of good.

Germany.jpg

I agree that these one color numbers are detracting from these jerseys a little bit. As a whole they are nice, but it just seems kinda plain with the one color numbers.

The talent on these teams is just amazing. Late in the Russia/Czech Republic Game, Russian Coach Vyacheslav Bykov sent out a power play unit consisting of Alexander Ovechkin, Ilya Kovalchuk, Alexander Semin, and Sergei Federov. No surprise that unit scored on the Power Play, the surprise is that Konstantin Korneyev was the one who got the goal.

Some pictures of each of the ones that we haven't posted yet.

Denmark

Denmark.jpg

Switzerland

Switzerland.jpg

USA

USA.jpg

Italy and Latvia wearing them today.

UPDATE:

I think the sponsoring might be covering the extra white stripes, looks about where they should have been ...

Canada's new jersey is a whole different look as well, retro in its own right. Not too sure about that collar though, like it's missing laces :huh:

Latvia Jerseys

Latvia1.jpg

That poor goalie looks like he's wearing a horse collar.

Here's my quick take on Germany...

Germany.jpg

Not all is lost ... 2 colour nr's :thumbsup:

The one I want(ed) to buy from the beginning:

80994570it1.jpg

With their own special font again ^_^

80995208jw9.jpg

The Finland really, really benefits from the two color numbers. That looks great.

I was really surprised to see that the stripes on the Slovakia jersey continued around to the back. I just pictured the chest stripes only being on the front for some reason. I think it looks really cool with the numbers on the back going through those stripes, and again, two color numbers are the way to go. Now I'm even more peeved that Gaborik didn't play.

Due up today; Canada, the Czech Republic and Slovenia. The Czechs are going to look great, Canada is a look they used a lot in the past so I'm overly familiar with it and Slovenia's are honestly nothing to get excited about unless they pull a unexpected surprise with the number font.